Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Avary arrested on suspicion of manslaughter/felony driving under the influence

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roger Avary arrested on suspicion of manslaughter/felony driving under the influence

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunde
Driving while intoxicated? Well fuck him then.
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 12-15-08, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the people in the car with him didnt see him drink any alcohol.? I doubt he forced these poeple into the car at gunpoint.
Old 12-15-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
So the people in the car with him didnt see him drink any alcohol.? I doubt he forced these poeple into the car at gunpoint.
Meaning what? It's their own fault they were killed or injured?
Old 12-15-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
So that makes it ok for him to get behind the wheel after drinking? It boggles my mind that people will defend celebrities for this kind of behavior just because they like their work. Well, I'm pretty good at my job so I'm going to get plastered and drive my buddies into an early grave but hopefully there will be people like you defending me because I'm awesome at my job.

Were you saying the same thing when Nick Hogan killed his friend because he was driving like an asshole or were you ok with him going to jail because you don't like Nick Hogan all that much? (I'm just assuming you don't like Nick Hogan, because well, it's a safe assumption)

Last edited by Goat3001; 12-15-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I'm just curious what his blood alcohol level was and what caused the "loss of control" (dodging animals, carelessness, cut off, etc; ). While I don't agree with chris_sc77s assertion, I don't agree with everybody elses assumptions either.

In otherwords, I hate news bits with zero details

Last edited by RichC2; 12-15-08 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Meaning what? It's their own fault they were killed or injured?
I'm just saying sometimes shit happens and it isn't particularly the right thing to do to blame Avery. There are many factors here. I know If I got in the car with someone who was drunk and I let them drive I sure as shit wouldn't be blaming anyone but myself.
Old 12-15-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts
I'm just saying sometimes shit happens and it isn't particularly the right thing to do to blame Avery. There are many factors here. I know If I got in the car with someone who was drunk and I let them drive I sure as shit wouldn't be blaming anyone but myself.
Seems like there's plenty of blame to go around, and everyone has to face the consequences (note mild sarcasm). For the passengers, consequences = being severely injured or killed (pretty big consequences). For Avary, the consequence should be what a judge or jury decides, regardless of the man's profession.

The passengers didn't know how drunk Avary was; it's pretty likely he assured everyone he was OK to drive, so getting killed seems a pretty disproportionate consequence of getting in the car with a friend.

Avary should have known what he was doing, and he should face the consequences our flawed justice system doles out.

The whole thing sucks.
Old 09-30-09, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Roger Avary arrested on suspicion of manslaughter/felony driving under the influe

UPDATE:

VENTURA, Calif. – An Oscar-winning screenwriter of "Pulp Fiction" has been sentenced to a year in jail for causing a fatal traffic crash in Southern California.

Roger Avary was sentenced Tuesday in a Ventura court. He also received five years of probation.

Avary pleaded guilty in August to gross vehicular manslaughter and drunken driving for the 2008 crash that killed a passenger in Avary's Mercedes in Ventura County. Authorities say Avary's car was traveling at more than 100 mph when it crashed into a telephone pole.

Avary's wife was ejected from the vehicle and was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Avary and Quentin Tarantino share the 1995 Academy Award for writing "Pulp Fiction." He also co-wrote the screenplay for the movie "Beowulf."
Old 09-30-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Roger Avary arrested on suspicion of manslaughter/felony driving under the influe

Wow, missed this last year.
Old 09-30-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on, it's not like it was DUI-DUI.
Old 09-30-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well looks like he got what he deserved, it could certainly be argued he deserved worse, but the judge gave him what he gave him.

I didn't even realize he pleaded guilty until last week.

Selfishly, this really kills my hopes for a Glamorama film.
Old 09-30-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
Hey he was involved in the making of a great film. Cut him some slack.
Old 09-30-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
Great timing. I was just talking about the Whoopi comment with my boss 30 seconds before I read this.

I'd say the sentence of only 1 year is borderline travesty-of-justice. Vehicular homicide involving reckless speed and DUI and he only gets 1 year? Even on a plea deal, that's too low.
Old 09-30-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Flee!
Old 09-30-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Great timing. I was just talking about the Whoopi comment with my boss 30 seconds before I read this.

I'd say the sentence of only 1 year is borderline travesty-of-justice. Vehicular homicide involving reckless speed and DUI and he only gets 1 year? Even on a plea deal, that's too low.
Agreed.
Old 11-23-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Inmate #34
Old 11-23-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
#34's bowel movements have come to resemble both the color, smell and consistency of Dijon mustard. Grey Poupon, to be exact.
Old 11-29-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lockdown

I never thought I'd say something like this, but I wish I'd saved some of those tweets.
Old 11-29-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I'm glad this topic was reopened, it reminded me of what a maroon someone is and that it's about time to block his posts.
And by maroon I mean complete and total jackass and just plain stupid..

I'm a big fan of Avary so i hope he comes out of this ok. Rules of Attraction is a masterpiece IMO. I have actually been listening to the soundtrack yesterday on my way to the movies to see Juno and to work this morning and again just a few minutes ago coming home for my lunch hour. Very Strange....Lets wait until all the facts come out on this one though for we say "kill him" please. It's not like he was a irresponsible partying asshole like Lohan, Spears, etc. It appears he had some wine with dinner which I on't think is that big of a crime.
I hope Avary and his wife are able to make it out of this ok.

Last edited by whotony; 11-29-09 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-29-09, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shit..it's really almost a year since this happened? Damn...I didn't think it was that long.
Old 11-29-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I'm glad this topic was reopened, it reminded me of what a maroon someone is and that it's about time to block his posts.
And by maroon I mean complete and total jackass and just plain stupid..
Little late.
Old 11-29-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'll say it: I *totally* miss chris_sc77 and I don't see why he was suspended. He was just opinionated and people LOVED baiting him. Alas.

Back to the subject at hand: Avary needs to do his time. I only have sympathy for the victim's family.
Old 11-29-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
Little late.

I don't know how I missed that.
Old 11-30-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'll say it: I *totally* miss chris_sc77 and I don't see why he was suspended. He was just opinionated and people LOVED baiting him. Alas.
I agree. The people that were constantly referencing him should have been the ones to get suspended. Except for me, right now, of course.
Old 11-30-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember having any interaction with him, but I always thought he was baiting people with all the nonsense about rated R movies and the 2 hour length thing.
Well he was only suspended so he'll likely be back, wonder what got him suspended.

Last edited by whotony; 11-30-09 at 09:38 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.