Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orphanage - signs of life in mood-based horror

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Orphanage - signs of life in mood-based horror

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"un dos tres, toca la pared..."

(looks behind)
Old 01-15-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up from me. My only complaint was reading something suggesting it was this year's Pan's Labyrinth. Short of being in Spanish and had the same director.

So I spent the whole time anticipating the moment where we enter fantasy land....

I guess once I realized it wasn't going there, I was able to just take it in and enjoy.
Old 01-15-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by harpo787
Thumbs up from me. My only complaint was reading something suggesting it was this year's Pan's Labyrinth. Short of being in Spanish and had the same director.
Del Toro produced The Orphanage, he did not direct.
Old 01-16-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
"un dos tres, toca la pared..."

(looks behind)
For some reason, that should have been a really scary scene, but it didn't pay off for me. There was nothing menacing going on, it didn't feel dangerous to me. I thought it would have a nastier edge to it, but nothing felt sinister to me, just some playful ghosts. Well, maybe one kinda angry one....

I guess my problem with this film was that, much like Pan's Labyrinth, it was promoted as something it's not. I certainly wouldn't call this a horror film, which is what I was expecting after reading all the reviews and about how scary it was. It had a few "jump" scenes, already mentioned in this thread, but those are just cheap thrills we've seen a million times. I guess for a ghost film to be really scary for me, I have to feel like the people are in danger of being hurt and I never felt that at all. One review said that this film takes all the horror film cliches and reinvents them. Seemed like typical scare tactics to me.

That being said, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, as I also enjoyed Pan's L, I just left both films somewhat disappointed because they weren't what I was expecting. Which is a shame because they are both good movies. It was a cool story, it certainly kept me engaged. It had some nice twists. I just wish I had just seen them both without any former hype. Had I gone in expecting a suspense film and not a horror, I wouldn't have been expecting more. I should probably see it again.

I guess I just get too overexcited when I hear there's a good scary movie out there, because they're so rare nowadays.

Spoiler:
As for the ending, I thought for sure that the kids were going to push her out the open window. The music was too happy, the ending was too happy, the kids were all too happy....... I kept waiting for the other foot to drop, but it didn't. Not that it's a bad thing that it didn't, that's just the kind of stuff I was expecting to happen, going into the movie.
Old 01-17-08, 12:58 PM

Can't wait to see this. Toro is simply a master.
Old 01-17-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't disagree with too many things that have been said. All I can add (that might be worth something to anyone else thinking about seeing this movie) is that I went in hoping for something like Devil's Backbone and I wasn't disappointed. Bayona does a very good del Toro impersonation behind the camera.

Although, I could have done without that sledgehammer of a final scene.

Last edited by jdpatri; 01-17-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts
Saw this today and absolutely loved it--I'm so glad some writers agree that ghost stories are supposed to be sad and poignant. I especially liked the "what is a ghost" homage to my favorite movie, The Devil's Backbone.

I was satisfied with the ending (minus the overkill last scene) but thought
Spoiler:
that when the lighthouse went on, the two wishes had somehow sent her back in time to stop the tragedy that had killed Tomas. I guess that would have been The Butterfly Effect meets The Devil's Backbone, though, and it just wasn't happening.
Old 01-18-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
For some reason, that should have been a really scary scene, but it didn't pay off for me. There was nothing menacing going on, it didn't feel dangerous to me. I thought it would have a nastier edge to it, but nothing felt sinister to me, just some playful ghosts... I certainly wouldn't call this a horror film, which is what I was expecting after reading all the reviews and about how scary it was. It had a few "jump" scenes, already mentioned in this thread, but those are just cheap thrills we've seen a million times. I guess for a ghost film to be really scary for me, I have to feel like the people are in danger of being hurt and I never felt that at all. One review said that this film takes all the horror film cliches and reinvents them. Seemed like typical scare tactics to me.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I was sucked in by the mood of the film, which is pretty rare nowadays. Most horror films are too blunt - this one took its time to build a sense of dread and horror, much like Rosemary's Baby. I disagree with your perception that the character never seemed to be in danger. It was never clear what Simon's fate was until the last ten minutes of the flick, and Laura had become a danger to herself. She had already busted her leg simply chasing a vision of a child - the more she believes, the more she's willing to risk herr own safety (and sanity), and Bayona did a very good job making that feeling palpable.
Old 01-18-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DullandWitless
Toro is simply a master.
agree excpet that he didn't direct this.
Old 01-20-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
This is my opinion of the movie:

It had an awesome ending, but I had to sit through about 90 minutes of shit to get to that point.

The premise is great, the execution sucks. With a more talented director, an even more talented writer, and a shorter run time (there was a lot of padding in the film's 100-minute runtime); this film could've been wonderful and magnificent. Instead it's just a crappy film with a great ending.

Just to throw this out there as well, the whole "exorcist" segment of the film where Laura hires the group of folk to come to the house played like a retarded retread of the whole second act of Poltergeist mixed with the worst segments of White Noise (which really isn't saying much as White Noise may have been one of the worst films I've seen all decade).
I agree with this... There were times through the movie I thought, ok here it goes its going to take off now, and that doesnt happen until the end. And Poltergeist was the first thing I thought of as well during the same scene.
Old 02-15-08, 11:17 AM

Saw this yesterday with my girlfriend and I thought it was really good. It had some really well-done scenes, such as the "Uno dos tres, toca la pared" scene toward the end of the movie where the camera kept swiveling back and forth. And, of course, the ending/climax of this movie was really strong.

I thought it was a solid horror/thriller with a great ending to an already-good story.
I'd rate it a 7.5 out of 10.
Old 02-15-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
agree excpet that he didn't direct this.
Just wanted to repost this, so there is no confusion. del Toro is the producer.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago and it's really good.
Old 02-17-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just saw this today with my girlfriend... like other people have discussed, the "un dos tres, toca la pared..." scene had me clenching my jaw until it ended, but there was no payoff (read: jump scare [yes, I like a good jump scare])

The biggest jump from me was definitely the scene with the old lady on the road (and I was not expecting to see her face as mutilated as it was). I saw her getting ran over a mile away, but her death rattle I did not.

Also the scene where Tomas was snaking towards Laura in the hallway had me at the edge of my seat. Flashbacks to The Ring... *shudder*

Overall very enjoyable, but I think I may have been the only one disappointed with the ending... It was very similar to Pan's Labyrinth in a bitter-sweet way, but I was hoping for something more sinister. Oh well. Great film, and I'll be re-watching The Others soon enough now... Love a good haunted house movie.
Old 04-23-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I finally saw this last night and absolutely loved it. It had a very similar tone to The Devil's Backbone and The Others which was good.

I thought the ending was great, even the final scene that a few posters didn't like.
Spoiler:
It was poignant that Laura's husband finds the necklace because she said she'd return it to him as soon as she found Simon. So the little smile that appeared on his face was so affecting, to me at least
Old 04-28-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched it. It was a very suspenseful film but I think The Others was better directed. It seemed like the movie would end and then it would continue on(LOTR: ROTK like). I also didn't like the fact that they had to dumb it down for the audience to see how happy she was with the kids.

But it is still a very tense movie. I jumped in a couple of scenes. I'd give it a solid B.
Old 04-28-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved this movie. Saw it about a week ago for the first time. I wish they made more thriller/horror movies.
Old 04-28-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Girlfriend and I watched last night...FANTASTIC!!

We both really enjoyed it and felt ashamed of the crap Hollywood churns out weekly. Brilliant film with a completely satisfying ending...
Old 04-28-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a wonderful film...

fantastic...
Old 04-28-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Great film, better than I expected! Loved the twisted, adult Peter Pan themes.
Old 04-28-08, 04:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
can't wait to get the Spanish SteelBook this week!
Old 04-28-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting in parts, but a little too silly at times. I'm not much of a horror fan, but this was definitely better than your average fare. I actually was hoping for a better movie simply because it was a foreign flick (right or wrong).

Interesting note and I wish I'd known this before viewing. The leading actress had a baby that died from a heart ailment. Think back on the movie and see if that doesn't give you shivers.
Old 04-29-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Interesting in parts, but a little too silly at times. I'm not much of a horror fan, but this was definitely better than your average fare. I actually was hoping for a better movie simply because it was a foreign flick (right or wrong).

Interesting note and I wish I'd known this before viewing. The leading actress had a baby that died from a heart ailment. Think back on the movie and see if that doesn't give you shivers.
Silly????
Old 04-29-08, 02:46 PM
Suspended

i blind bought this on DVD based on who created it, etc...

can't wait to watch it this weekend

thx to all for spoiler protecting
Old 04-29-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Silly????
I don't believe in the supernatural and that tends to make my suspension of disbelief tougher in certain movies.
Old 05-01-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the Blu-Ray and i liked most of the story, really good atmosphere. Of course it's better if you know spanish because, like all movies, it lose bits here, bits there in the translation.
But I really hated the end. They explained everything. Everything. No guessing game here. If they'd a more open end this thread would be at least 10 pages now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.