Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Definitely, Maybe (Valentine's Day 2008) Starring Ryan Reynolds & Abigail Breslin

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Definitely, Maybe (Valentine's Day 2008) Starring Ryan Reynolds & Abigail Breslin

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It offers a fresh twist on the romcom genre, but the first half is kind of laboured in it's approach and so for that reason the movie doesn't quite gravitate beyond the three star mark. Isla Fishers the best thing about it.
Old 02-17-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Definitely, Maybe (Valentine's Day 2008) Starring Ryan Reynolds & Abigail Breslin

Saw this over the weekend and enjoyed it. I thought it put a new twist on the typical cookie-cutter stories that come out of this category. I enjoyed all of the players in their roles and found the story compelling. Sure it wasn't anything ground breaking or without flaws, but it was cute, fun and quickly passed the time.

I haven't seen much of Reynolds' work, but this came across to me a more mature role for him than those he has taken in the past. I think the same could be said for Isla, but then again I think I've only seen her in Wedding Crashers (however since this was released she is staring in Shopaholic).

Breslin was good, but her role wasn't as large as that in Little Miss Sunshine.

To those that say the subject matter wasn't appropriate for her, I would say the following. You have to suspend a certain amount of disbelief given a) the plot and b) the type of 'manutre for their age' characters hollywood seems to push these days. Besides, it all starts with whatever book the teacher read them at school and then the subsequent onslaught of questions.

I also had the impression that Maya's and Will's relationship had been very open and peer like. I think Will and the wife had been seperated for some time. It wasn't until the zoo/park scene where I had the impression that Maya may have had a traditional familial unit at some point in the past.