Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

OSCARS May be Cancelled

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

OSCARS May be Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
BUT THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS. They make money off the work of other people. Those shiny discs are worth absolutely nothing without the content created by...well, the content creators. It's a creative industry and the writers should be rewarded for their creativity.

Those LaChance quotes posted above are spot-on. What about the other creative industries that manage to make money and fairly compensate the people they are making money off of.

Why are movies any different than book publishing? Why are the expectations different?
I could get behind this argument if they weren't receiving up-front compensation. But that has to factor into the equation.

I support the writers to an extent. I just feel they are asking for money that doesn't exist yet. They should be willing to share the burden of new media, and they don't seem willing to.
Old 01-03-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I have yet to hear any compelling response to this. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I haven't heard it yet.
Well, regardless of your stance on the issue, the writers are giving a compelling reason by striking to say, "Give us our fair share or we're not working anymore, and there will eventually be no more profits for you or us." That's about as compelling as it gets. Good for them for risking their own livelihood by standing up to the suits who care about nothing except the bottom line.
Old 01-03-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
- Their proposal for Internet compensation could actually cost producers more than they receive in revenues, thereby dooming the Internet media business before it ever gets started.
That's classic. You don't seriously believe that, do you?
Old 01-03-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I could get behind this argument if they weren't receiving up-front compensation. But that has to factor into the equation.

I support the writers to an extent. I just feel they are asking for money that doesn't exist yet. They should be willing to share the burden of new media, and they don't seem willing to.
What are all of those executives talking about when they say how profitable their online ventures are and will continue to be in the next year?
Old 01-03-08, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MoviePage
That's classic. You don't seriously believe that, do you?
That is what the AMPTP said but yes I think it's a bit dramatically worded but I think this individual statement is at least fair in describing how much control they want over internet related promotional material and content.
Old 01-03-08, 01:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordie Lachance
Only in the case of motion pictures does the studio treat the screenplay as a work for hire, meaning, once sold, the author has a zero equity share of his own creation.
A couple things here:

1. How did we go from 4 cents a DVD to zero equity? Don't say you aren't getting anything when you're in fact getting something.

2. On most studio pictures, the screenplay is altered significantly from what the writer originally came up with. Sometimes, all that remains is the writer's name (script doctors and other contributers aren't allowed to be credited due to WGA rules). So it's not as if the credited writer is the sole creator of the work.
Old 01-03-08, 01:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mario_c
I'm not as angry as zombiezilla - maybe I should be? Anyway, The Oscars is a celebration of everything writers (and actors, directors, musicians etc) in Hollywood do. For them to be out in the cold being punished by the producers' cartel-while the celebrities, producers and
cool kids inside have their party which wouldn't be possible without the writers-is unforgivable.
I see where you're coming from. But my concern isn't even really for the stars (and it sure as hell isn't for the producers) but for the lesser known actors and especially for the little guys behind the scenes like the editors, art direction, etc. that rarely get any sort of recognition for their work as is. I don't think being upset about this *and* being upset about the way the writers are being treated have to be mutually exclusive feelings just because they come from conflicting circumstances. I guess there's collaterial damage in every war, so...
Old 01-03-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What are all of those executives talking about when they say how profitable their online ventures are and will continue to be in the next year?
It's business speak. They are trying to attract advertisers to an unknown format.
Old 01-03-08, 02:57 PM
Suspended

If you don't think producers have too much money then...

Don Simpson was found dead on the toilet in his home in Los Angeles. The cause of death was a Cardiac Arrest from Multiple Drug Intake (MDI). Various websites claim that he had over twenty different drugs in his system at the time of his death, including various psychiatric drugs. According to High Concept, a Simpson biography by reporter Charles Fleming, Simpson had an estimated $60,000 per month drug habit at the time of his death. His job as an executive at Paramount Studios came to an end when he allegedly passed out in the middle of a meeting.
Old 01-03-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Don Simpson of Simpson / Bruckheimer fame?
Old 01-03-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is Don Simpson of Simpson / Bruckheimer fame?
Yes, he was.
Old 01-03-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yes, he was.
Wow, I had no idea he had fallen that far. That's a real shame.
Old 01-03-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, I had no idea he had fallen that far. That's a real shame.
I don't know if you were referencing this or not, but Simpson died a long time ago, I think it was around 95 or 96.
Old 01-03-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I don't know if you were referencing this or not, but Simpson died a long time ago, I think it was around 95 or 96.
Well, it's a shame either way.
Old 01-03-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
They have already been compensated for their intellectual property with an up-front fee.

I have yet to hear any compelling response to this. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I haven't heard it yet.

This seems to be the only industry this is true. Do you think that Texas Instruments is giving royalties to the in house creators of the DLP chip? No, they are paying them salary, because it's their JOB to create.
I'm trying to figure this strike out as well. You originally posted that you wondered what right the WGA has to refuse permission to air clips owned by studios. I wonder that too. It must be contractual thing, because I'd suspect most writers either get their work bought out or are done via work for hire.

I don't really have an opinion on the writer's strike as it's not something I know enough about. I don't know what's typical in the industry, I don't know the current contract states, and I don't know what other guilds get. So I can't really opine on this situation.

I do hate it though when people get caught up in industries with big money and take sides based on the dollar value. Like in sports when athletes and owners squabble over money. Yes, both are millionares, but they have a right to do what's fair. I see some of that spilling over to this arena, where both sides have people making good money (although less so on the writer's side). I don't care how much either side makes, just do what is fair.

I am suprised that writers get any royalties, however. I would have thought the studios just pay a flat fee for whatever work they get, and the risk is on them to have it work or fail.

Last edited by Jericho; 01-03-08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Golden Globe's pushing through despite the strike.
Old 01-03-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These writers (and some of you guys) would be amazed at the way venture capital works. It's called capitalism, folks. Those that foot the bill reap the most reward.

Maybe the Academy folks should skip the Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Screenplay awards this year.
Old 01-03-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
BUT THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS. They make money off the work of other people. Those shiny discs are worth absolutely nothing without the content created by...well, the content creators. It's a creative industry and the writers should be rewarded for their creativity.

Those LaChance quotes posted above are spot-on. What about the other creative industries that manage to make money and fairly compensate the people they are making money off of.

Why are movies any different than book publishing? Why are the expectations different?

I do think for one that movies or TV aren't so much about the money, but about the actors or directors. You rarely see a big to do about the next movie written by Stephen Gaghan. But you will see a big to do about the next Steven Spielberg or Will Smith movie. The actors and directors are the face of the industry. That's not to say writers aren't important. They are. They're underappreciated. But the market doesn't value them like other jobs, and their pay reflects that. It's not the same as with a book author. A Stephen King novel means something. So it's hard to compare industries. Particularly with movies, where you have so many people coming together to make a film (producer, director, actor, composer, writer, cinematographer, set designer, costume designer, special effects people, etc...)

Which brings me to my main point, bargaining power. If a writer is good enough to demand a royalty on his work, more power to him. If he's so good to do it on his own, more power to him. But most of the time he can't and won't do those things. He's at the mercy of a studio. And studios take the risks. Of course if he writes the next Gigli, he'll still get paid. And if he writes the next Casablanca, he gets paid the same. If he wants more, he either needs to negotiate better or go off on his own. It's like any job.
Old 01-03-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it's a shame either way.
Yep, absolutely. As odd as it sounds, from what I've read Simpson was usually reigning Bruckheimer in usually. I just didn't want anybody to think that they split up or Simpson was on other projects.
Old 01-04-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I do think for one that movies or TV aren't so much about the money, but about the actors or directors. You rarely see a big to do about the next movie written by Stephen Gaghan. But you will see a big to do about the next Steven Spielberg or Will Smith movie. The actors and directors are the face of the industry. That's not to say writers aren't important. They are. They're underappreciated. But the market doesn't value them like other jobs, and their pay reflects that. It's not the same as with a book author. A Stephen King novel means something. So it's hard to compare industries. Particularly with movies, where you have so many people coming together to make a film (producer, director, actor, composer, writer, cinematographer, set designer, costume designer, special effects people, etc...)

Which brings me to my main point, bargaining power. If a writer is good enough to demand a royalty on his work, more power to him. If he's so good to do it on his own, more power to him. But most of the time he can't and won't do those things. He's at the mercy of a studio. And studios take the risks. Of course if he writes the next Gigli, he'll still get paid. And if he writes the next Casablanca, he gets paid the same. If he wants more, he either needs to negotiate better or go off on his own. It's like any job.
I agree. I dabble into screenwriting here and there so naturally I should side with the writers. But I can't. Residuals are just gravy. I can certainly understand why the writers are pissed when they see all that money that their work has generated I'd be pissed too. But that's just the way it is. They are a hired gun. Perhaps because I've written screenplays for free and have actually paid to have them read by "industry people" that I cannot relate to people who are asking for more money to do my dream job.
Old 01-04-08, 01:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Perhaps because I've written screenplays for free and have actually paid to have them read by "industry people"
This just sounds wrong to me.
Old 01-06-08, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kinda see your point

Originally Posted by DRG
I see where you're coming from. But my concern isn't even really for the stars (and it sure as hell isn't for the producers) but for the lesser known actors and especially for the little guys behind the scenes like the editors, art direction, etc. that rarely get any sort of recognition for their work as is. I don't think being upset about this *and* being upset about the way the writers are being treated have to be mutually exclusive feelings just because they come from conflicting circumstances. I guess there's collaterial damage in every war, so...
Everyone works to some extent, to make the magic happen, and everyone shares in the pain and the prize as well. If the Editor's Guild were to strike, I'd feel the same way. The Carpenters' Union? meh....j/k I kid the woodworkers.
The Oscars aren't about the little guys in the industry by any means - it's the people at the top of their respective games. That's the bottom line - the Oscars are symbolic, and boycotting the Oscars puts the SHOW in show of support, that's all.