Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Dune - News, Rumors, Etc

Originally Posted by milo bloom
J
If you can find it on Netflix or something, there's an episode of the animated series The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy called "Mandy the Merciless", which skates the line of parody/straight out ripoff of God-Emperor of Dune.
It's actually impressive what they accomplish in 10 minutes.
Old 03-08-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod

If you watch David Lynch's Dune as a "David Lynch" science fiction movie, it's cool as hell. It has all the cool visuals and sound design and odd goings on. If you watch it as an adaptation of Frank Herbert then it is disappointing. He should have abandoned more of Herbert like Jodorowsky was going to do and made it more personal. It just made it so dense for non-readers and it teased the hell out of us readers with references to things that are never addressed again ("Many machines on IX. Better than Richese" All mean something to readers, but they add nothing to the story). Even the central conceit of the Kwizatz Haderach didn't make any sense. The underlying feminist theme in the novel was abandoned with the Weirding Way, so it was too vague what the Bene Gesserits were breeding (they used the blue worm juice to allow them access all the memories of their female ancestors, but the male ancestors memories terrified them. The KH was supposed to be able to access them both. So they were breeding a male who had the psychic ability and could use the worm juice and not die.)

The miniseries was closer to Herbert but was marred by the aesthetic decision to make it look like a theatrical stage piece. They knew they didn't have the budget to make it look like a real film, so they decided to present it stylized like a play, with translight backdrops and everything. If it worked depended on your tolerance for the stylized aesthetic. The second miniseries wasn't as constrained nor did it condescend to non-readers by simplifying too much or over filling with exposition. It's a shame they never went on to God Emperor. I'd rather see that over a compromised theatrical version.

Pretty much agree with you. If you look at the '84 Dune as a big-budget sci-fi as made by David Lynch, it works. I will say that the "Alan Smithee" version does play closer to the book, but the cut scenes are of very lackluster quality. In terms of the source material, the sci-fi channel version is pretty darn faithful, and I highly recommend the Unrated version of it if you can find it.

I remember seeing Dune figures/accessories at a Toys R Us in Nashville, TN and having seen the movie, getting kind of creeped out by all of it.
Old 03-09-11, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I liked both adaptions of Dune.

As mentioned, Lynch's is very stylized and weird. It may not be a great adaption of the source material, but it works on its own merits. I absolutely love the art direction on this... the props, the costumes, it all works together to create its own reality.

The miniseries felt like Materpiece Theater In Space, which actually worked quite well considering the novel has a lot of parallels to Hamlet.
Old 03-09-11, 07:18 AM

On the Lynch film, they hired Mexican artisans to make the sets. They didn't have any concept of movie sets being "pretend" so they made everything for real. It's a movie that BD really helps so you can see all the detail carved into the sets.
Old 03-09-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Did some more research. Interesting that Dune (2000) won two emmys and CoD didn't win any? Dune (1984) has some brutal criticism - Ebert called it 'worst movie of the year' and gave it one star.

I also saw some clips of the 1984 Dune openings. The Lynch version opening seems much better with Princess Irulan - it reminded me of the scene from Twin Peaks with the Giant ominously fading in and out (happening again). The extended opening with the pictures seem boring.
Old 03-12-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
As mentioned, Lynch's is very stylized and weird. It may not be a great adaption of the source material, but it works on its own merits. I absolutely love the art direction on this... the props, the costumes, it all works together to create its own reality.
People who read the book are often annoyed that so much was left out, and people who haven't read it often have a hard time following the plot. For a long time I was one of the former (I didn't even know there was a movie until after I read the book).

But when I saw Mulholland Dr. in 2001, Lynch's Dune suddenly made a lot more sense. It works as a Science Fiction dream. It has an emotional line of logic. Just like a real dream, it's difficult to describe or understand, but you can feel that it goes where it needs to and does what it should.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 03-12-11 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I always loved Lynch's Dune. The feel of it is extraordinary.

If you don't consider it an adaptation of the novel, but rather a stylized opera based on the works of Frank Herbert, it's fucking brilliant.
Old 03-14-11, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
But when I saw Mulholland Dr. in 2001, Lynch's Dune suddenly made a lot more sense. It works as a Science Fiction dream. It has an emotional line of logic. Just like a real dream, it's difficult to describe or understand, but you can feel that it goes where it needs to and does what it should.
Interesting point. Considering Lynch's post-Dune works, I wonder if Ebert has changed his mind about Lynch's Dune.
Old 03-23-11, 09:25 AM

Looks like it's dead.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/para...ilm-franchise/

Paramount has turned loose the giant worm, and everything else that was part of the seminal Frank Herbert science fiction novel series Dune. The studio’s four-year attempt to make a movie out of the franchise has fallen by the wayside. Paramount and the rights holders came to a parting of the ways as the rights lapsed. “Paramount’s option has expired and we couldn’t reach an agreement,” said Richard P. Rubinstein, who controls the rights to what is considered the biggest-selling science fiction book ever. “I’m going to look at my options, and whether I wind up taking the script we developed in turnaround, or start over, I’m not sure yet.”
Old 03-23-11, 01:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably for the best.
Old 03-23-11, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like Lynch's Dune but would love to have a new version. Is the miniseries worth checking out or should I just re-read the book again?
Old 03-23-11, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by yoshimi
I really like Lynch's Dune but would love to have a new version. Is the miniseries worth checking out or should I just re-read the book again?
If you can get past the aesthetic decision the filmmakers used to make the series look like a bit like a stage production you will enjoy it. The backgrounds are usually translight backdrops rather than on-location shooting. It's closer to the book but the costumes are rather silly, especially the hats. There's an uncut version with nudity that is worth looking for. Also, there's a sequel miniseries that encompasses Dune Messiah and Children of Dune under the title "Children of Dune". Dune Messiah is part 1 and part 2 and 3 is Children of Dune.
Old 04-11-11, 09:16 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I do recall in the book the Baron says it's a shame that Paul will have to die, because he's very pretty or something to that effect.
I'm reading the book at the moment -- the Baron mentions to Piter (his Mentat, played by Brad Dourif in Lynch's movie) that Paul has "a sweet young body". He later tells one of his men to go drug a young boy that he purchased off-world (who resembles Paul) so he can have his way with him.

All this is disturbing enough, even before you consider that
Spoiler:
Paul is the Baron's biological grandson.
I believe they left that plot point out of Lynch's version, but I'm not sure about the miniseries. I'm betting the studio who produce the new adaptation will at least make them remove the peodphile overtones.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-11-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank Herbert’s Dune has long bewitched filmmakers and despite many attempts, David Lynch’s unsatisfying 1984 adaptation is the only one that made it to the screen.

Ten years earlier, however, Chilean-born filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky tried to tackle the novel and it’s that attempt that is the center of a documentary by Frank Pavich, the director of the 1999 music documentary N.Y.H.C.

Titled Jodorowsky’s Dune, the movie is chronicling the two year effort by Jodorowsky and his team of relative unknown artists, artists then went on to become influencers in the sci-fi genre. Among the team were H.R. Giger, who designed the alien in Alien, Dan O’Bannon, who wrote Alien and Total Recall, French artist Jean “Moebius” Giraud, who worked on The Empire Strikes Back, Tron and The Fifth Element, and Chris Foss, who worked on Alien and Superman.

Snowfort Pictures, Camera One of France and Koch Media of Germany are behind the documentary. Stephen Scarlata and Travis Stevens are producing. Exec producing is Donald Rosenfeld, who is Terrence Malick’s The Tree of Life in competition at Cannes. Co-producing is Camera One’s Michel Seydoux, who has Alain Cavalier’s Pater screening in competition.

The pic has completed interviews with Jodorowsky, Giger and other surviving members of the original team, shooting in France, Switzerland and the UK, and moves this summer to the U.S. more the second half of its production.

The title is being introduced at Cannes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...finally-187984
Old 05-13-11, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I always loved Lynch's Dune. The feel of it is extraordinary.
Yes.
Old 05-15-11, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<object width="650" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://ictv-tf-ec.indieclicktv.com/player/embed/97b1fda2ca43d6c29eaf63ed1ec347c6/4dcda327c590c/31/7a3dfbaec36ff6eff12b91d10e39895d/defaultPlayer-player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://ictv-tf-ec.indieclicktv.com/player/embed/97b1fda2ca43d6c29eaf63ed1ec347c6/4dcda327c590c/31/7a3dfbaec36ff6eff12b91d10e39895d/defaultPlayer-player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="650" height="366"></embed></object>
Old 05-15-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar to Game of Thrones, Dune is just too big of a novel for one movie.
Old 11-21-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Legendary Lands Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel ‘Dune’
Film Reporter Justin Kroll @krolljvar
NOVEMBER 21, 2016 | 11:43AM PT

Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel “Dune,” granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the work.

The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

The novel was also adapted as the 1984 film directed by David Lynch. The film starred Kyle MacLachlan and at the time was thought of as a flop, getting poor reviews and grossing just $30.9 million, but more recently has attained cult status.

Set in the distant future, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

The agreement was negotiated by Mike Ross and Jen Grazier on behalf of Legendary and Marcy Morris and Barry Tyerman of JTWAMMK on behalf of the Herbert family.
Old 11-21-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Is this the same Legendary that is doing the new Godzilla and King Kong movies? Shared universe?

Seriously though, they seem like a company that knows how to do genre stories.
Old 11-21-16, 08:49 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

If they do this, they better not do a half-assed attempt at it. I'd like to see justice done to this story. I enjoyed the Lynch film, even the longer version of it even though the length was a trial (the concept of the sound weapons was a head-scratcher). I'm watching the miniseries right now, will follow it up with Children of Dune (again, length is a trial). While it delves more deeply into the main trilogy, the acting from some of the characters is sub-par.

If they do this, I hope they don't fuck it up.
Old 11-22-16, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm only interested in a miniseries, and a high-quality one at that. Netflix, HBO, etc. There's entirely too much going on in Dune to be contained in a 2-3 hour movie.

As far as the sequels? Ehh...
Old 11-22-16, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never cared to see Dune out of some want for the property, never even read the stuff.

The Lynch film gets my attention a bit cuz it is what is.

I do think that based on the property's history in the film format... a series on like Netflix, HBO, or whatever else that can lend creative freedom and respect for the material would be good. It'd probably entice me more. That Netflix format sure is nice. HBO has the budget for sure. Those formats w/ this property would get my interest good.
Old 11-22-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm not super familiar with the works, but a limited run TV series could work out well. Have a set season plan in place instead of an open-ended "until ratings drop" scenario.
Old 11-23-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm only interested in a miniseries, and a high-quality one at that. Netflix, HBO, etc. There's entirely too much going on in Dune to be contained in a 2-3 hour movie.

As far as the sequels? Ehh...
The Sci-fi network did miniseries remakes of Dune and another called Children of Dune in the early 00's. I remember watching them but cant recall a single thing about them.
Old 11-23-16, 12:16 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think this thread has been updated in awhile. This movie was finally released on December 14, 1984. Can a mod update the thread title?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.