Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The post said "never" and, last time I checked, 50 years still falls within that timeframe.
These days when people say "never," they mean since yesterday.
Old 07-16-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

JULY 16, 2018 1:16pm PT by Borys Kit
Timothee Chalamet in Talks to Star in Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune'

Better hydrate.

Timothee Chalamet, who was nominated for an Oscar for his breakout performance in Call Me by Your Name, is in negotiations to star in Dune, Legendary’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Villeneuve, the filmmaker behind Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival, is producing the feature adaptation along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

The novel, initially published in the 1960s, tackles political, religious and environmental themes through a sci-fi lens, telling the complex story of a fallen noble family’s attempt to control a desert planet named Arrakis and its export, a rare spice drug, while being betrayed by a galactic emperor.

Paul Atreides is the lead character, the son of the ruler of the family, who is forced to escape into the desert wastelands and partner with its nomadic tribes. Using enhanced mental abilities, he eventually rises to become their ruler, the nomads believing he is their messiah, and leads an army to overthrow the empire.

The book, which launched a novel series that lasted beyond Herbert’s death, was first adapted into a 1984 bomb directed by David Lynch with Kyle MacLachlan as the lead.

Legendary is eyeing an early 2019 start of production.

Chalamet is repped by UTA and Ginsburg Daniels.
Old 07-17-18, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a Dune geek, but I don't see Chalamet as Paul Atreides.

In spite of being a fan of Villeneuve, I'm not optimistic for a successful movie here.
Condensing the novel down to a single movie that makes for gripping drama seems like an impossible task to me.
Old 07-17-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Is Dwayne Johnson busy?
Old 07-17-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

In keeping with the casting of the original, Justin Bieber will be playing Feyd.
Old 07-17-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Sting did a reasonably good job with the character.
In the novel, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen was an incredibly sadistic SOB who the mere sight of him made everyone around know immediately he was a crazy and ruthless killer.
Old 07-17-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
I'm a Dune geek, but I don't see Chalamet as Paul Atreides.
Not really feeling it either, but I'll reserve judgement since I've never seen him act. I was hoping for Kodi Smit-McPhee (who I could also see as Feyd-Rautha, even though he's kind of a string bean).

Glad this has actually made it to the casting stage. Can't wait to see who they get for Jessica and Leto. In re-reading the book, I kept picturing Radha Mitchell and David Strathairn (though he's probably too old at this point). The Duke's features were described as hawk-like, which also made me think of Adrien Brody or Viggo Mortensen. I could also see Rosamund Pike as Jessica, though they might go after someone like Charlize Theron if they want a bigger name.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but it's a shame this isn't being developed as an HBO series. As acclaimed as this book is, I just don't see that kind of cerebral sci-fi making enough at the box office to justify filming the sequels. I hope to be proven wrong, since I have high hopes for this project.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-17-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Chalamet will be excellent as Paul. I think he can portray the genuine goodness of the character, but also show his strength and severity.
Old 07-18-18, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I've never read the book, but this is Villeneuve's dream project. Which has my expectations pretty high.
Old 07-18-18, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
I was hoping for Kodi Smit-McPhee (who I could also see as Feyd-Rautha, even though he's kind of a string bean).

Glad this has actually made it to the casting stage. Can't wait to see who they get for Jessica and Leto. In re-reading the book, I kept picturing Radha Mitchell and David Strathairn (though he's probably too old at this point). The Duke's features were described as hawk-like, which also made me think of Adrien Brody or Viggo Mortensen. I could also see Rosamund Pike as Jessica, though they might go after someone like Charlize Theron if they want a bigger name.
I would have to think about it before I could up with casting recommendations.
As far as Jessica goes, Theron would be a good choice.
Jessica is exotic, mysterious, and quiet unless provoked.

it's a shame this isn't being developed as an HBO series. As acclaimed as this book is, I just don't see that kind of cerebral sci-fi making enough at the box office to justify filming the sequels.
I completely agree.
The 6 books by Frank Herbert are perfect for a series.
One day someone will take them on...I just hope to still have a pulse then.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I've never read the book, but this is Villeneuve's dream project. Which has my expectations pretty high.
You should give it try...one of the finest sci-fis ever written.
Almost any used bookstore should have a copy.
Old 07-18-18, 05:53 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

If Villeneuve makes this, I will own a copy of it.
Old 09-06-18, 09:22 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Rebecca Ferguson in Talks to Star in Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-dune-1140223

Yes, please!
Old 09-06-18, 09:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No....I like her. She doesn't need to do something like this.
Old 09-06-18, 01:58 PM

Another actor I've heard of, but have never seen any of her work. At least I can see a bit of resemblance between her and Chalamet in that THR pic.

Originally Posted by E Unit
No....I like her. She doesn't need to do something like this.
Eh, I think Jessica is a pretty decent part (as written by Herbert, anyway).
Old 09-06-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure she is old enough, but whatever...as long as she nails the part.
Old 09-06-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Another actor I've heard of, but have never seen any of her work. At least I can see a bit of resemblance between her and Chalamet in that THR pic.

Eh, I think Jessica is a pretty decent part (as written by Herbert, anyway).
You missed the last two Mission: Impossible movies?
Old 09-06-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Will she shave her head?
Old 09-06-18, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus
Not sure she is old enough, but whatever...as long as she nails the part.
I think Paul is around 14-16 at the start of the book and Jessica is in her mid-thirties. Chalamet looks younger than his age, so close enough.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
You missed the last two Mission: Impossible movies?
I've missed all the Mission: Impossible movies.

I do have the first four in my digitial library thanks to some Paramount promo a couple years back... just haven't bothered watching them yet.
Old 01-07-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

JANUARY 07, 2019 1:31pm PT by Borys Kit

The 'Blade Runner 2049' actor has been added to the high-profile cast of Legendary’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel.

Dave Bautista has joined the high-profile cast of Dune, Legendary’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Timothee Chamalet and Rebecca Ferguson are already toplining the project, which tells the complex story of a fallen noble family’s attempt to control of a desert planet named Arrakis and its export, a rare spice drug, while being betrayed by a galactic emperor.

Chalamet is set to play Paul Atreides, the son of the ruler of the family, who is forced to escape into the desert wastelands and partner with its nomadic tribes. Using enhanced mental abilities, he eventually rises to become their ruler, with the nomads believing he is their messiah, and leads an army to overthrow the empire.

Ferguson will portray Atreides’ mother, Lady Jessica, who escapes with him into the desert and helps him become a savior in their eyes.

Bautista will play "Beast" Rabban, the sadistic nephew of a baron who oversees Arrakis.

Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts wrote the script. Villeneuve is also producing along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

Bautista previously worked with Villeneuve on 2017's Blade Runner 2049, in which the actor had a key role that featured a smackdown with Ryan Gosling.

Bautista has a big year ahead, with the MMA wrestler turned actor reprising his role of Drax for Avengers: Endgame; starring with Kumail Nanjiani in the Fox action comedy Stuber; and starring in the action-comedy My Spy.

Bautista is repped by CAA.
Old 01-07-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the update.
DB should make a good Rabban.
Old 01-08-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Between The Rock and John Cena's film career's taking off, I never saw Batista coming. Not only that, but of the 3, he's really the only one landing "tentpole franchise" AND " serious prestige" films. Also, he mouthed off Disney and is still getting high profile work. The Rock wouldn't even open his mouth when Tyrese almost threatened to kill him and John Cena is more white bread than Ryan Seacrest.
Old 01-08-19, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The Beast is a rather minor character, is he not?

My first impulse when this was announced is that Baustia would be playing Gurney Halleck.
Old 01-08-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Rock wouldn't even open his mouth when Tyrese almost threatened to kill him and John Cena is more white bread than Ryan Seacrest.
LOL, you're right.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Beast is a rather minor character, is he not?
Yes.
My first impulse when this was announced is that Baustia would be playing Gurney Halleck.
Too big for that part.
Need someone of a more normal stature, but not a pretty boy.
Old 01-08-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Between The Rock and John Cena's film career's taking off, I never saw Batista coming. Not only that, but of the 3, he's really the only one landing "tentpole franchise" AND " serious prestige" films. Also, he mouthed off Disney and is still getting high profile work. The Rock wouldn't even open his mouth when Tyrese almost threatened to kill him and John Cena is more white bread than Ryan Seacrest.
Agreed ... Bautista's wrestling days were on the fringe of my watching habits, but I NEVER would have guessed he would turn into an impressive actor. Count me in as a fan of his acting career.

The Rock is very charismatic ... but his problem is he cannot turn that off and act. No matter what the role is, you can smell what The Rock is cooking -- more of the same.

I've only seen Cena in The Wall and I quite liked him in that. I would have suspected he is too bland to transition into big-time acting, but I hear some of his comedic stuff is good. I suspect one of his shortcomings will be that he refuses to be a bad guy/heel.
Old 01-09-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stellan Skarsgard to Play Villain in ‘Dune’ Movie
By DAVE MCNARY Film Reporter @Variety_DMcNary

Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgard will portray the villain Baron Harkonnen in Legendary’s sci-fier “Dune,” based on the Frank Herbert novel.

Denis Villeneuve is directing from a script he wrote with Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts. Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, and Dave Bautista are starring. Production is expected to launch in the spring in Budapest and Jordan.

“Dune” centers on the battle for control of the desert planet Arrakis. Chalamet is playing Paul Atreides, who is forced to escape into the wastelands, where he eventually becomes the ruler of the nomadic tribes.

Villeneuve is also producing along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter. Skarsgard’s credits include both “Mamma Mia” movies, “Thor,” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.