DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Night at the Museum 2 - ANNOUNCED! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/519844-night-museum-2-announced.html)

slateef 12-13-07 01:41 PM

The first was horrible. Even my 6 and 4 year old didn't like it. That says a lot.

Michael T Hudson 12-13-07 02:21 PM

I liked the first one.

mndtrp 12-14-07 04:15 PM

I liked the first one, even though Ben Stiller is starting to annoy me quite a bit. As usual, I'll end up renting this one.

Snowmaker 05-23-09 06:54 AM

Re: Night at the Museum 2 - ANNOUNCED!

Must not be much interest in this movie since the last post about it was a year and a half ago.

I'm going to see it today with my free movie money from the X-Men trilogy.

edstein 05-23-09 09:19 AM

The first one was pretty good. This was total shit. Azaria was the best part of the movie. Everyone else was horrible. Ricky Gervais had one or two lines. Most of the jokes fell flat with me. The CG was decent but it just felt like they were moving from one effect shot to the next for no reason.

Mike86 05-23-09 11:56 AM

First movie was okay but I doubt I'll bother going to this in theaters. Rental at best for me.

mdc3000 05-23-09 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9462047)
The first one was pretty good. This was total shit.

Looks like even though I have Fox movie cash, I may skip this one entirely - I thought the first was pretty brutal and was hoping for an improvement - guess that's not the case.

Snowmaker 05-23-09 07:30 PM

Nowhere near as good as the first. Even the wife said we should have seen Terminator instead.

cranberries fan 05-23-09 10:16 PM

It cost me $2 dollars so not total lost but Amy Adams (I am a redhead) was HOT and she was the best part of film period!

Snowmaker 05-23-09 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by cranberries fan (Post 9462928)
It cost me $2 dollars so not total lost but Amy Adams (I am a redhead) was HOT and she was the best part of film period!

Her skin-tight pants did help make the movie more enjoyable.

mdc3000 05-24-09 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9462744)
Nowhere near as good as the first. Even the wife said we should have seen Terminator instead.

You'd have had a shit time either way ;)

Snowmaker 05-25-09 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 9463344)
You'd have had a shit time either way ;)

That would have made a great ad slogan if they had promoted both movies opening the same weekend.

mdc3000 05-25-09 11:56 PM

I actually thought this movie was pretty decent, some laughs here and there. Much better than the first film, way more fun - but still felt about 15 minutes too long. Fine but nothing special.

Jedi Master 33 05-26-09 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 8355400)
^^^ and that's a bad thing?

When was the last time Will Ferrell did something good{not to mention original}?

SonOfAStu 05-26-09 08:38 AM

I agree. Will Ferrell is awful, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

NatM 2 wasn't bad. I enjoyed the first one well enough and as long as Garant and Lennon are writing these, I'll keep seeing them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "The State" but I actually find these movies funny.

Jedi Master 33 05-26-09 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu (Post 9465945)
I agree. Will Ferrell is awful, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Next time I just want to make a quick little comment, I'll be sure to ask you.

Giles 05-27-09 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9462047)
The first one was pretty good. This was total shit. Azaria was the best part of the movie. Everyone else was horrible. Ricky Gervais had one or two lines. Most of the jokes fell flat with me. The CG was decent but it just felt like they were moving from one effect shot to the next for no reason.

yes he was, wasn't he. As for the rest of the movie, I didn't mind it, it was just a summer Hollywood popcorn flick - entertaining, not much else.

MR Round 05-27-09 01:53 PM

Liked the first thought they tried to hard with the second

Goldberg74 05-27-09 02:11 PM

How wide is the sphere of influence of that tablet?

That was my only beef with this film.

... oh, and was this filmed next door to the set of The Office?

I give this movie a solid C.

NitroJMS 05-27-09 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9468922)
... oh, and was this filmed next door to the set of The Office?

I noticed that too. Mindy Kaling, Ed Helms, and Craig Robinson all have cameos, and of course Amy Adams (who was a recurring guest early on) is the co-star.

I caught a showing tonight. Adams is extremely cute and lovable as Amelia Earhart and is the film's best asset, and Azaria isn't too bad as the villain (and in a nod to his Simpsons talents, he also has 2 vocal roles). The film overall is fairly forgettable, but does have some great effects. It just feels oddly stuffy considering they have the entire National Mall to play with, yet only seem to be in 3-4 large sets all the time.

Giles 05-27-09 10:43 PM

^ those sets being in Vancouver

and it's odd that the National Portrait Gallery in the movie is a Smithsonian museum, when actuality it isn't.

davidh777 05-29-09 12:48 AM

I thought it was entertaining enough. +1 on the Adams hotness.

NitroJMS 05-29-09 11:02 PM

I finally wrote up my review yesterday:

http://www.cinamerica.com/?p=745

As before, Adams is great, with Azaria not too bad either. Entertaining enough for adults not to be bored if they take the kiddies.

emachine12 05-30-09 01:02 PM

I enjoyed the first Night and even watch it when FX HD airs it. I used my Fox movie cash to see the second Night and it was okay.

There are some great moments in the movie but not nearly as much as the the first film. There were also plenty of plotholes and unexplained continuity errors between the two films.

I'll just make one giant spoiler since its easier. Be warned....

Spoiler:

Carla Gugino's character from the first film is never mentioned despite "connecting" with Ben Stiller at the end of the first film.

Ben Stiller leaves the Natural History museum and no one replaces him.

The Natural History Museum is going with electronic displays so why keep Roosevelt?

There is no security or night guards for the Smithsonian.

One of the ruby slippers are "broken" although its a cloth slipper but the sound of glass can be heard.

The large amount of destruction that occurs without any mention or worry. Especially in the morning when a large window and Wright Brother's plane is destroyed.

Oh, and of course, the fact that if you flip the center tile of the gold tablet; it does not bring objects to life. Wait, the tiles flipped in the first film, now they are buttons in this one?

And the one that really pissed me off was the cop out ending. Why does every film that has to do with some alteration of time and/or space have to end with a "lookalike" showing up for the lead actor/actress to stalk...er....I mean approach. Even worse, they added the really crappy note of she gets lost a lot. IF YOU ARE GOING THAT KIND OF CRAPPY ENDING, MAKE THE "FUTURE LOOKALIKE" RELATED TO THE PAST PERSON! Uggh.

James Lafleur 05-30-09 01:29 PM

I went into it having never seen the original(with no real desire to), and ended up pleasantly surprised. I thought it was an enjoyable movie with lots of great cameos.
And need I mention how gorgeous and perfectly cast Amy Adams was?

Overall, I'm glad I caught it at a matinee price.