Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Atonement - When does it go wide?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-05-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

I can only find when it's going into limited release. Does anyone know when it goes wide?
Old 12-05-07, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan 4th for my smaller theater in Rochester, NY
Old 12-05-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very soon after the Oscar nominations are announced?
Old 12-05-07, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm kind of surprised DC is actually getting this this Friday since DC is notoriousily left off of many studio's "limited release cities"
Old 12-05-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm kind of surprised DC is actually getting this this Friday since DC is notoriousily left off of many studio's "limited release cities"
Where? I'm in D.C. too. Landmark's E Street or Bethesda?
Old 12-06-07, 08:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Where? I'm in D.C. too. Landmark's E Street or Bethesda?
both
Old 12-06-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing it being December 14th. And I hope that's right. I really don't want to wait much longer to see this.
Old 12-07-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so far so good, 85% at rotten tomatoes

Hopefully this will get more people to read the excellent novel, it's one of my favorites. I didn't fully read any of the reviews (I do that after seeing the movie) but the clips are very encouraging that the adaption is pretty faithful. And even if it strays, I have enough faith in Knightley, McAvoy, and director Wright that it will be done tastefully.

I just have to keep the expectations in check, I'm way too excited about seeing this.
Old 12-13-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Atonement leads Golden Globes with 7 nominations.
Best Drama, Director, Actress, Actor, Supporting Actress, Screenplay, and Musical Score
Old 12-14-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

expands today, goes WIDE on the 21st.
Old 12-15-07, 07:50 AM

is this actually good or just another English Patient? which I would rather eat broken glass than sit through again.
Old 12-15-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked it a lot but it was different than I was expecting. I went with 2 people, 1 loved it, the other thought it was the worst movie of the year....
Old 12-22-07, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this yesterday, thought it was a beautifully made epic with a lush visual style and a devastating coda. James McAvoy is fantastic as the tortured victim of the story, and Joe Wright's directorial flourishes deserve to be acknowledged come Oscar time (the first act and the unbroken take at Dunkirke blew me away). The flaws lie in some of the pacing throughout the middle act, but otherwise it was very impressive, indeed.
Old 12-22-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
is this actually good or just another English Patient? which I would rather eat broken glass than sit through again.
Make sure the glass is in very small pieces .... I found this to be a dreary and dull experience and found it difficult to resist bolting from the theater. I will admit that half-way through there is a virtuoso tracking shot that is amazing, and that Vanessa Redgreave finally shows up and breathes some life into the proceedings, but overall tedium wins out.
Old 12-22-07, 10:26 AM
Banned

a dvdrip has leaked online. I really want to see this in theaters though
Old 12-23-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
Funny you should ask that because I just saw it and what I thought was that it is precisely another overrated, ultracontrived, Oscar-bait, boring, pretentious, please-kill-me-now-and-put-me-out-of-my-misery English Patient movie.

I know Elaine Benes would be with me on this.

(To give some context, in no way do I hate every movie of this general type and consider The Remains of the Day to be an example of a great film of the genre.)
Old 12-23-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
just finished watching the film. A lot of the scenes at the beginning are slow but it does start to pick up with the letter mix up scene
I also never saw the end twist coming. The five minute tracking shot was beautiful and will most likely end up winning best cinematography oscar. Overall a good movie but not great.
Old 12-23-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
... it is precisely another overrated, ultracontrived, Oscar-bait, boring, pretentious, please-kill-me-now-and-put-me-out-of-my-misery English Patient movie.
Can't disagree.

The central premise is flimsy as hell. I felt no attachment to either of the leads. I also did not buy the supposed strength of the love between Robbie and Cecilia.

Atonement, like Keira Knightley, is pretty to look at but that's about it.
Old 12-29-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it last night and am still thinking about how devastatingly powerful the movie was to me. I can see some people really hating it though. The middle portion of the movie does drag a bit, especially in the scenes with just adult Briony as played by Romola Garai. I thought Garai was the weakest actor in the cast and brought little to the role. James McAvoy is awesome though. I'd love for him to be the next big star. He blows Orlando Bloom out of the water. And big props to Vanessa Redgrave who just utterly brings it full force in her tiny amount of screentime.
Old 12-29-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Defiant1
James McAvoy is awesome though. I'd love for him to be the next big star. He blows Orlando Bloom out of the water.

How difficult is that? Orlando Bloom is a TERRIBLE actor. People seriously need to check out these two lesser known (or seen) James McAvoy movies: "Rory O'Shea Was Here" and "Starter for 10". I don't how anyone could hate "Atonement". Sure, it might not be your cup of tea. But it's an extremely well done movie.
Old 12-29-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is obviously never going to be released in my barren wasteland of a town, so I'm looking forward to the R2 DVD release on Feb. 4th...
Old 12-30-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was definitely Oscar-bait (and it worked for the Golden Globes, as it got the most nominations), but I wouldn't consider it a real contender. I enjoyed it, but I found it stretched in the middle, when Robbie and Cecilia weren't on screen together.
Old 12-30-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
How difficult is that? Orlando Bloom is a TERRIBLE actor. People seriously need to check out these two lesser known (or seen) James McAvoy movies: "Rory O'Shea Was Here" and "Starter for 10". I don't how anyone could hate "Atonement". Sure, it might not be your cup of tea. But it's an extremely well done movie.
It's just because Bloom has been considered the "hot" young British actor for a few years now because of LOTR and Pirates but we've all seen him stumble badly whenever he has the lead role. It's nice to see another young, handsome but far more talented Brit take his rightful place in the spotlight.

Honestly, I think Orlando Bloom would make a better model than actor. He was cool in the relatively dialogue-free role of Legolas but he was the weakest link in the whole Pirates trilogy and brought so little to Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 12-30-07, 07:27 PM

I want to see this one bad, but it's not playing in my city
Old 12-30-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Orlando Bloom.

This movie is playing at one theatre in our town and there's too many other films I still want to see.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.