Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where does "Seven" take place?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Where does "Seven" take place?

Old 12-05-07, 05:13 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,185
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where does "Seven" take place?

It's never revealed And i bet there is no real answer.

Of course, the question is where is it SUPPOSED to take place, not where was it filmed.
Old 12-05-07, 05:49 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 727
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right - there's no real answer. It's supposed to take place in ANY megapolis.
Old 12-05-07, 05:57 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's never stated but it was written during Andrew Walker's time spent trying to make it as a screen writer in New York.

Filming wise it was Philadelphia, Pa. and Los Angeles, Ca.

It'll make sense if this was L.A. since they did go out to the desert for the final scene.

Oh yeah.. forget where they were, a better question is WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!
Old 12-05-07, 06:15 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,572
Received 1,095 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by Giggles
You're right - there's no real answer. It's supposed to take place in ANY megapolis.
Yeah that's what I've always understood too. I could swear I heard in an interview or commentary that it left vague on purpose.
Old 12-05-07, 06:53 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read the book adaptation as a kid, and I thought it took place in NYC.
Old 12-05-07, 10:46 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,556
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Gotham. In the sequel, we find Mills, haunted by the murder of his wife, training to be a tireless, avenging crimefighter.
Old 12-05-07, 10:50 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles, November 2019
Old 12-05-07, 10:53 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surrounded by idiots...
Posts: 6,990
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It always looked like the shittiest imaginable part of NYC, but that isn't too close to the desert.

Didn't resemble L.A. to me.

Maybe it was Albuquerque...
Old 12-05-07, 11:02 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,306
Received 348 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
It always looked like the shittiest imaginable part of NYC, but that isn't too close to the desert.
True, and the problem with any city in the southwest is that it doesn't rain enough - the city in the movie seemed to have constant rain. The only city in the US that has a good amount of rain, dark days and not too far from a desert is San Francisco - which Fincher grew up near. Though it's obviously not supposed to be San Fran either.
Old 12-05-07, 11:28 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,247
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Filming wise it was Philadelphia, Pa. and Los Angeles, Ca.

Oh yeah.. forget where they were, a better question is WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!
I didn't realize it was filmed in Phila. I'll have to re-watch it.

When I read the question above I don't think immediately of Se7en, as MTV's "What's in the box" clip with Shatner comes to mind first. Comedy gold right there.
Old 12-05-07, 11:33 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Oh yeah.. forget where they were, a better question is WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!
Old 12-05-07, 01:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle fits, which has constant rain and desert to the east.
Old 12-05-07, 09:35 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love how this movie brings about so much discussion on this forum. I remember the good ol Was John Doe Right? thread. Good stuff.
Old 12-05-07, 09:43 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,186
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Baltimore
Old 12-05-07, 10:06 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,554
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I always thought it was Gotham City.
Old 12-05-07, 10:34 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
I never even thought about it or cared, since its irrelevant.
Old 12-05-07, 11:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,306
Received 348 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never even thought about it or cared, since its irrelevant.
What's funny is I saw it when it first came out, and that was all I could think about. Throughout the whole movie, the fact that they never addressed the location (real or not) bugged the fucking shit out of me - it seemed like a really lazy writer's device to me and it made me disconnect and kept me from liking the movie initially. I ended up getting over it, but it's still kinda lazy and annoying just because I need some point of reference, and none is given. Even Star Wars gave us "long ago and far away", which was just enough.
Old 12-05-07, 11:29 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,116
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
it seemed like a really lazy writer's device to me and it made me disconnect and kept me from liking the movie initially.
I disagree. I think its a good writers device. They wanted to portray the events that happened could take place in any big city. That all big cities are full of trash. The reason they didn't want to say what city it was is because once they give that away you automatically link your idea of the city with what the movie is trying to convey. So if they say it takes place in LA you might jump to the conclusion that this movie a knock on the shitty people in Hollywood. If it took place in NY you may think that its a knock on the shitty financial people.

By not giving away the place, the writers have to create their own city free of stereotypes.

Then again I never even noticed that they didn't mention the city. I didn't think about it til I read this thread.
Old 12-05-07, 11:31 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,556
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
Then again I never even noticed that they didn't mention the city. I didn't think about it til I read this thread.
Same here. Never crossed my mind.
Old 12-05-07, 11:36 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,639
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Calculon
Baltimore
That's what I always thought.
Old 12-06-07, 12:02 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,306
Received 348 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
By not giving away the place, the writers have to create their own city free of stereotypes.
That doesn't mean it's not a lazy cheat - in fact, that defines it. But I'm okay with it now.
Old 12-06-07, 02:55 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,466
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never thought about it, and even after reading this, I still don't care. I'm in the "puposely vague" camp.
Old 12-06-07, 03:26 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 1,482
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it ever wanted to reveal where it took place, because from my view it was always a fictional place to start with, it is left to the imagination, it could be anywhere, it seems like it was a madeup city. Which I admire it for.

Makes the movie even creepier.
Old 12-06-07, 03:44 AM
  #24  
En vacance
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to John Doe, a man who wouldn't take it anymore and decided to change the world!
Old 12-06-07, 01:17 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,118
Received 240 Likes on 189 Posts
Because of the desert at the end, I always assumed it was L.A.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.