Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Step up 2 the Streets

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Step up 2 the Streets

Old 10-19-07, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step Up 2 Trailer

My girlfriend's most anticipated movie for next year. I must admit the dancing is impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2wDI-O5YQ
Old 11-28-07, 05:52 PM

Step up 2 the Streets

I just saw stomp the yard this past wkend and i loved all the dancing! this trailer for step up 2 looks soo good too! cant wait!

im gonna share it with everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPj1aa7AR94
Old 11-28-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sharing means caring. But in this case, I can't tell what it means. What did we ever do to you?
Old 11-28-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Directed by John M Chu!!!
Woot woot!

I dunno...it seemed very significant in the trailer, so I thought it needed emphasis.
(And truly, I went to school with John, so just for that, I hope it does well-ish at the BO)
Old 12-05-07, 04:08 PM

what? really? u went to school w/ john chu? he seems so cool. there have these production blogs and he answers questions about the movie. i dont know if ur interested, but here is the link for it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZM-iJBKl...90F774&index=0
Old 12-05-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just out of curiousity, in what capacity did you work on this film? You obviously had something to do with it. Were you on the crew, an extra, etc...?

Are you John Chu?
Old 12-05-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts
Alright, another celebrity on the DVDTalk boards, woot woot.

I thought this movie was a spoof when I first saw the trailer, theres just been sooooooooo many of them.
Old 12-07-07, 06:23 PM

i wish i worked on the film....being able to dance like that would be awesome. hah.
Old 01-04-08, 02:56 PM

**BUMP**

is anyone else excited about this movie? its coming out in a month! whoo-hoo
Old 01-04-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't WAIT!!!!1111!! This is going to make CrAzY money. I predict a $100+ mil opening EaSiLy. John Chu, where have you been all my life? I asked and asked for a sequel to Step Up and, finally, my wishes were heard. I wonder how they were able to get Chu to direct this? Isn't he, like, majorly busy with all his other radical projects?
Old 01-04-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 966 Likes on 610 Posts
I have a major appreciation for the skill of these dancers. Truly, they are amazing.

However, the movie still looks like shit.
Old 01-04-08, 03:52 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
My main concern about this film is that, coming out so early in the year, it'll be passed over when the Oscar noms for 2008 come out.
Old 01-04-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm quite curious about something regarding the director of the upcoming, certain to be unchallenged classic in its own time of a film, "Step Up 2: The Streets". As you can see by the full screen title card in the trailer, his name is Jon M. Chu.

Now I'm sure by now you're thinking, "Jon M. Chu, eh? Oh hell's yes! This flick's gonna be the bomb-dizzle, yo! Where can I buy tickets in advance?" just before realizing that you have no clue who he is, or why his name is emblazoned across the screen as if he's Bruckheimer/Spielberg/Ridley Scott.

Actually, I did recognize the name, but only because Jon Chu was a pretty hot shot name around USC when I started attending in 2004. Chu had just graduated and had already signed a development deal with Columbia Pictures at age 23. During his tenure at USC, he had directed a quite excellent 480 musical called "Gwai Lo: The Little Foreigner," as well as a self-financed 481 thesis musical, and I also heard that Steven Spielberg himself was his mentor, thus nearly guaranteeing Chu's place as Hollywood badass in the near future. Fast forward to 2007 with me sitting in a Kona movie theater to watch "The Mist" asking WTF? when I see Chu's name featured as a selling point.

I'm not panning Chu's virtue as a director, mind you- I thought his thesis film was fantastic- and I must admit a good dose of jealousy. However, why would a movie trailer feature a first time director's name in its trailer? Not even a well-known music video director such as Mark Romanek get his name on his first film's trailer, "One Hour Photo", nor did Francis Lawrence on his second picture with the current money machine, "I Am Legend", even after he did another big budget film of a similar genre, "Constantine".

So, how might I speculate that the almighty Jon Chu wrangled his own title card? Maybe Beuna Vista is trying to hoodwink its audience by making them believe that, by throwing a random name on the trailer, that the director is already a household name. Or perhaps with a mentor as savvy with public image as Spielberg giving him advice, Chu cleverly got a name branding clause written into his contract before taking on a sequel to a genre dance picture. Or maybe the editor at The Trailer Park was a USC buddy of Chu's. However he got it, I want one.
Old 01-04-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^Are you his official biographer or something? I didn't think a person alive gave that much of a shit about this movie. Consider me proven wrong.
Old 01-04-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
filmerp does ask an interesting question (and does know a lot about Jon). The only other first time director that I can think of getting that kind of trailer shoutout treatment was Antoine Fuqua on The Replacement Killers.

KillerCannibas
Old 01-07-08, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
I have a major appreciation for the skill of these dancers. Truly, they are amazing.

However, the movie still looks like shit.

ya the dancing is amazing! that was obviously my favorite part of the trailer! just a little over a month till it comes outs! they didnt show much of cassie in the trailer- so i wonder how shes gonna fit into the movie.
Old 01-07-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 524 Likes on 375 Posts
Maybe it's so he's not to be confused with...

Old 02-17-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Step Up 2 the streets - quick beats

For what it is, a movie geared toward teens who like to see young folks dancing on the big screen, it was entertaining enough. Sure, the framework of the plot is a familiar one: street-dancing girl, Andie, has one last chance to clean up her act, and gets into the same high school academy (MSA) that introduced us to the previous pairing of Tyler and Nora from the original "Step Up", and with Tyler's limited help (pretty much a dance-in baton handoff by Channing Tatum). Andie's dance style and attitude are obviously different from the more disciplined ballet style of dance, but pretty soon, events conspire to bring many different students together in an unlikely crew for their own flavor of street dancing. The high school hijinks and drama is all very familiar stuff, but the dancing is tight and the finale was fun to watch and appreciate.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 02-17-08, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How was the T&A?
Old 02-17-08, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Briana Evigan (Greg's daughter) can shake the house down with her bootay.
Old 02-17-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts
The first two responses have been geared towards "T&A" and "Bootay" and tell you the truth, that's the only thing that gets me watching these movies.

Meagan Good-You Got Served
Yaya DaCosta-Take the Lead

So who's the eye candy in this one again?
Old 02-17-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im a sucker for these type of movies and Briana Evigan was pretty hot (even with the extreme push-up bras in every scene), but I agree with Patman's assessment. For what the movie is, its fun enough.
Old 02-17-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

I tend to ignore any movie titles with numbers to replace regular words, or words with the letter 'c' that are spelled with the letter 'k.'

Needless to say, I won't be seeing '2 kool for skool.'

I suppose the movies could be ok, it's just that I won't jump to rent them....

Later,

Matt!
Old 02-18-08, 01:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, there isn't much of a story here but the movie is entertaining despite that. The one good thing I can say about the story is that, while cheesy and routine, it wasn't ever annoying. The dance stuff is a lot of fun to watch.
Old 02-27-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AIIIIIEEEE! Next year we're getting STEP UP 3-D!!!!!