Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TERMINATOR: Salvation (aka T4)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TERMINATOR: Salvation (aka T4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TERMINATOR: Salvation (aka T4)

Here's Jim Beaver's (Deadwood, Big Love, Supernatural) reaction:

This is completely unacceptable behavior on Bale's part. I've never seen anything remotely like this on a set in 35 years. It sounds as if it were not the first time Hurlbut had ruined a take, but that's not remotely a justification for a raging rant like this. Even if there were justification for being pissed off (and believe me, there are lots of times an intense scene is going on and someone screws it up just as things are coming together well, and those can piss off the Pope), it's the utter insensitivity to the humanity of the other man that makes this so reprehensible. Sometimes you have to yell, "Goddammit, stop talking, we're trying to work here!" But what happened here sounds like someone with extreme anger management issues. Hurlbut can be heard apologizing early on, but Bale keeps going for another 2.5 minutes. Absolutely unacceptable, and I have a hard time understanding why Hurlbut didn't walk out the door.

Years ago, Brett Butler (the comedienne, not the ballplayer) had a sitcom. She was so abusive of cast and crew that finally, after one overblown tirade, the producers (the same folks who brought you 3rd Rock From the Sun and That '70s Show) said, "You know, life's too short," and canceled their own show, despite it being a ratings hit. I was really proud of them for that. (They proved themselves to be incredibly good people to me personally when I worked for them in later years.) There's no excuse for that kind of behavior, but there's also no reason to tolerate it. A company may have too many millions sunk into a project to do what they ought to do, which is fire the bastard, but that's not behavior I would accept in a colleague. And, no, it's not typical.

Years ago, I did a play with Oscar-winner Mercedes McCambridge. One night, as we were getting ready to begin, I passed by a young and inexperienced actress and whispered the traditional, "Break a leg." She turned on me and hissed, "Don't talk to me, don't you see I'm concentrating?" At the act break, in the dressing room, McCambridge, who had been nearby when this exchange happened, started talking about how you could tell a real actor from a phony or a wannabe. She said, "You know, a real actor doesn't freak out if you speak to him just before he goes onstage, complaining that you're wrecking his concentration. A real actor is concentrating, which means that NOTHING can wreck his concentration. Concentration is the ability to filter out distractions. It doesn't mean you fall apart at them." The young actress got very red-faced, and I gave Mercy a hug just before we went back for Act II.
Old 02-04-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know why Jim Beaver took it upon himself to write this, but that dude is a class act and right on point.
Old 02-04-09, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that was pretty much on the point. I don't accept Bale's overreaction to the DP but he had a justified reason to get annoyed. To the level he had taken it to though was totally unacceptable.
Old 02-04-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baracine
DISCLAIMER: This is not to imply in any way that Christian Bale has anything near the talent of either James Dean or Natalie Wood, just that he is a former child actor who has been coasting on his hormonal imbalances and his ability to throw a temper tantrum at the drop of a hat ever since.
Christian Bale is more talented than James Dean was.
Old 02-04-09, 11:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I think that if the situation were reversed, and Christian Bale were to speak to you, personally, like that, a lot of those defending him would have a change of heart. The point is, no matter how mad you are, no matter what has occurred before, there is no reason for anyone to ever berate someone like that. Everyone says the Director of Photographer should have been more professional, but, Christian Bale, if he's such a "class act" that everyone says he is, should have been more professional.
Actually I would've just walked away and not tried to explain myself to Christian Bale, as it was obvious he was in a bad mood, but whatever. I've been yelled at like that by bosses, but never let it get to that point, because there's no use trying to explain yourself when someone is that angry. I'm not saying Bale should've acted this way, he shouldn't have, but there were ways to diminish the situation that no one seemed to want to take.
Old 02-04-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki

Agree, but thanks to that rant his career beyond Batman could be over. Regardless of the situation, I look at it if he were my employee. I would have walked him to the door and said see ya.
Old 02-04-09, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Ditto...I can't stand James Dean. He has a look yeah...but...he's not that good of an actor.

also...I highly doubt Bale's career well be affected by this. I mean, Russell Crowe is doing fine....
Old 02-04-09, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbEsynnvW14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbEsynnvW14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yjs7v6GGKV4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yjs7v6GGKV4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 02-04-09 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Agree, but thanks to that rant his career beyond Batman could be over.
I can't imagine that being the case at all.
Old 02-04-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
However, if filming is during magic hour. That would be the case of the director yelling at an actor (see James Cameron), not the DP.

This is the entertainment industry. You need thick skin to work in the business.
The same applies in this instance. Unless I'm missing something and Bale is a producer on the movie or the director, he's nobody's boss...McG is the one to take up this issue with the dp...if he doesn't, then Bale should take his issue to him or the producers. Plus, thick skin is one thing, people say things in the heat of the moment, that happens, everyone deals with it...4 and a half minutes of solid verbal abuse mixed with the threat of physical aggression is something that no one should have to put up with. Whether that be the fucking entertainment industry or anything else. While my boss has the right to reprimand me if I do something adverse to my workplace productivity...he most certainly does not have the right to speak to me like Bale did that dp...he would either wind up getting fired or hurt (and then I would get fired). Just because he's Christian Bale and the other guy is a mediocre dp doesn't give him that right.

Last edited by kurupt; 02-04-09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 12:48 PM
Banned

Agree, but thanks to that rant his career beyond Batman could be over.

No it can't. People will forget all about this in a week when the next celebrity hot topic comes along.
Old 02-04-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
i don't know why jim beaver took it upon himself to write this, but that dude is a class act and right on point.
Old 02-04-09, 12:52 PM
Banned

Ditto...I want to see Dakota Fanning bitch someone out..and then this Bale thing will easily fall over.
Old 02-04-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 744 Likes on 545 Posts

Agree, but thanks to that rant his career beyond Batman could be over. Regardless of the situation, I look at it if he were my employee. I would have walked him to the door and said see ya.
That "employee" is the person that's going to put asses in seats on a multimillion dollar film that will cost considerably MORE to re-cast at that point. Walk him to the door, file a loss claim on the film. That's right a loss claim. Because you just shit away millions of dollars for stopping the whole production.
Old 02-04-09, 01:28 PM
Cool New Member

Hopefully this is much more like the first two- the third one seemed way too short, I couldn't even tell that it was over!
pretty much like a gimmick movie to throw in a hot robot chick and "complete" the plot that was laid out, then make a bunch of quick millions? haha
Old 02-04-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That "employee" is the person that's going to put asses in seats on a multimillion dollar film that will cost considerably MORE to re-cast at that point.
It's Terminator. People go to see the robots and to see shit blowing up. Just about generic, athletic male actor would probably have the same effect on the box office as Bale would.
Old 02-04-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
It's Terminator. People go to see the robots and to see shit blowing up. Just about generic, athletic male actor would probably have the same effect on the box office as Bale would.
While I'd like to agree, I don't think that's the case. Bale being in T4 has given it a level of validity that previously didn't exist...
Old 02-04-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That "employee" is the person that's going to put asses in seats on a multimillion dollar film that will cost considerably MORE to re-cast at that point.
If the movie was relying on Bale's name alone, it'd be as successful as Rescue Dawn, The Prestige, or The New World.

They could cast Keanu Reeves as Connor and still make the same amount -- except Reeves wouldn't've thrown a tantrum like this.
Old 02-04-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Personally, I think Bale gives the movie far more credibility than I would have expected the fourth movie in the Terminator series to have.
Old 02-04-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whoa, dude....you're like, messing up the scene. I know Kung Fu, so you better chill out, uh, dude.
Old 02-04-09, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Bale being in T4 has given it a level of validity that previously didn't exist...

Level of validity? That is horseshit. The first two films are classics. Everyone I know is interested in this film because of the awesome storyline James Cameron created years ago and what he accomplished with T1 and T2. The only way this film could attain the level of validity of those first two is if Cameron was back behind the cameras and calling the shots once again. I like Christian Bale but I've grown tired of seeing him in so many films the past couple of years and wish he were a little more discriminatory in the roles he picks. I'll most likely see T4 on opening night but that will be despite Bale, not because of him.

Last edited by ManWithNoName; 02-04-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ManWithNoName
No it can't. People will forget all about this in a week when the next celebrity hot topic comes along.
Exactly. Yesterday this was the top story on Yahoo Entertainment page. Hmm what do we have now....

" 'Fringe' co-stars Anna Torv and Mark Valley wed "

It not even on the entire page now, save for an ABC external link.
Old 02-04-09, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LostInNYC
Hopefully this is much more like the first two- the third one seemed way too short, I couldn't even tell that it was over!
It sounds like this one should have a run time of about 130 minutes. A little bit over 20 minutes longer than the 3rd film. I think this sounds like a good plan. T3 could def. have used another 20 minutes. T3 is a film I enjoy but dont put it anywhere near the level of T2. Its pretty much an excuse to get from one action set piece to another one. If you take T1 or T2 and take away the best 2 or 3 action scenes in each film they would still be compelling films. Not so much with T3.
Old 02-04-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 744 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
If the movie was relying on Bale's name alone, it'd be as successful as Rescue Dawn, The Prestige, or The New World.

They could cast Keanu Reeves as Connor and still make the same amount -- except Reeves wouldn't've thrown a tantrum like this.
Sure, totally disregard the money issue. Yeah, you can say that an actor is not irreplacable. But as a studio head that has already spent $185M in Terminator Salvation, you're still going to be okay with stopping production to re-cast and re-shoot? They have a budget for a reason. Stopping in the middle of production and re-casting your lead is going to cost you more money. You cannot simply put the production on hold and feel like since no one is working, you're not incurring costs. Everything in the budget is planned around a schedule.

Are you going to fire the lead actor or the DP? And this is not the same as a lead actor dying or being unfit due to drug/alcohal abuse while filming, those are unforseen circumstances. I think the answer is pretty clear cut.
Old 02-04-09, 02:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ManWithNoName
Level of validity? That is horseshit. The first two films are classics. Everyone I know is interested in this film because of the awesome storyline James Cameron created years ago and what he accomplished with T1 and T2. The only way this film could attain the level of validity of those first two is if Cameron was back behind the cameras and calling the shots once again. I like Christian Bale but I've grown tired of seeing him in so many films the past couple of years and wish he were a little more discriminatory in the roles he picks. I'll most likely see T4 on opening night but that will be despite Bale, not because of him.
Do you think Terminator 3 would have been a hit without Arnold? You've got McG at the helm, NOT James Cameron, Arnold is gone, and if it weren't for Bale or a similarly high profile actor, this would have been straight to video. You and your friends may be there because of the franchise name, but you can bet that the majority of theater-goers will be there for Bale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.