Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever watch a movie again, think it was your 1st time?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 12:15 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

Meaning you might have seen something long ago, remembered bits and pieces or most of it, know you loved it, then re-watched years later only to find yourself in complete and utter awe as if you were watching the movie for the 1st time.

Just sitting there thinking with every scene how totally entertaining it is. How the performances are so spot on and enjoyable that you wonder if or how many awards it had won. Commenting to self that effects you've seen maybe a dozen times in clips or promos or watching the movie several times, how those effects were done and that they are just so freggin awesome.

I mean just sitting there knowing the ending, knowing how it gets there, but still feel those chills at every orchestral crescendo and feel that emotion all over again, but as if it were for the first time.

Well, i just did... watching "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

I probably haven't seen it in 2 decades, maybe less, but it just felt like I experienced as if I had never seen it before in my life. It was so thoroughly enjoyable, it was awesome!

Ever happen with you??
Old 11-18-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Nope
Old 11-18-07, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Movie makes me cry everytime i watch it. Should have been best picture.
Old 11-18-07, 05:28 AM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES...I've done that several times. I used to go to a place called mondo video in Hollywood and rent all these movies, and I'd see some of them with my eyes half-closed and in a dreamstate. Then someone would ask me if I saw "this" movie, and I'd say no. Then I'd rent it it or think about it later and go, "oh yeah, that's the movie that has. . ." I'd get pissed at myself for not remembering. And the weird thing is when you're going along with the movie like you've never seen it before and then you start to anticipate the plot pionts, like dejavu, then you realize, "CRAP! I've seen this!"
Old 11-18-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts
Mad Max
Grew up watching this via VHS tape that I bought from K-Mart. Wore the hell out of it. Imagine my astonishment when I first saw it (Many years later) in Widescreen and with the original Australian audio track. I actually had sympathy for Johnny The Boy just because he SOUNDED better.

Night of the Living Dead
Similar to the above post, another foggy VHS tape that I wore out back in the 80's.
But IFC showed this on Halloween sometime in the early 2000's in a PRISTINE film print. Had no idea that the film was ever supposed to look this good.
Old 11-18-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only when watching movies on HD-DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 11-18-07, 08:04 PM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus

sheesh, I see I missed the point. I looked at the post too fast and took it literally.
That happens to me a lot when I see old movies on the big screen. I see detail that I never knew exsisted. The audience is also a big factor, things play differently. Faster Pussycat is a good example of how the small screen and no audience makes it a different experience.
Old 11-19-07, 02:46 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by TomBosley
sheesh, I see I missed the point. I looked at the post too fast and took it literally.
That happens to me a lot when I see old movies on the big screen. I see detail that I never knew exsisted. The audience is also a big factor, things play differently. Faster Pussycat is a good example of how the small screen and no audience makes it a different experience.
i thought your 1st post was a little foggy
Old 11-19-07, 03:27 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomBosley
That happened to me with the original version of THE THING. Seeing it in a theater was a revelation.
Old 11-20-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Recently happened with me while watching Cujo. I had always remembered it as a cheesy b-movie with bad acting and a boring plot. After watching it recently I've come to realize it's a great thriller with a wonderful cast, tense moments and a brilliant score.
Old 11-20-07, 12:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I watched The Shining on HBO last night, and used to think it was an "only okay" movie, but now I think it is a near-classic horror movie. I think watching it in surround sound helps a lot.
Old 11-20-07, 02:03 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts
I rented Kissing Jessica Stein on two separate occasions because I didn't remember watching it the first time. Neither time necessarily lit my fire.