Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Two Sisters remake, why god why??

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Tale of Two Sisters remake, why god why??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't see what the big deal is, the movie looks fine and if you like the original then I'm sure you'll enjoy another interpretation of it. Elizabeth Banks usually does a good job of making sure of that

Extra clips I ran across that reminded me of this here thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkg-ZwZu7yY
Old 01-08-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: A Tale of Two Sisters remake, why god why??

Looks like they changed the title to 'the uninvited'
i saw a commerical eariler during the BCS. Looks like its the same basic premiss, and it has alot of the same scare scenes as the original (based on certain shots). oh and its PG-13 too and comes out at the end of this month.

Oh and the reason for the 'why god why' tagline is because this was prob the first asian horror movie i saw and i really saw no reason to remake it.
Old 01-09-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's stupid, what are they going to name the remake of this:

Old 01-28-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Though not as scary or creepy as the original Korean horror film, this American remake is well produced and well acted by its three central women.
By the end of the film, The Uninvited is genuinely compelling. But despite the scares along the way, the rest of the film doesn't make an especially compelling case for doing the work to get there.
Sounds about right. Sounds like the movie is largely intact plot wise, that's good.

Roger Ebert's 3 star review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/901289983

"The Uninvited" gets under your skin... When a movie like this is done well, it's uncommon. "The Uninvited" is done well.

Note: I'm a little surprised by the PG-13, more evidence the MPAA awards the rating for what a movie doesn't have (nudity, language, sex) than what it does have, images that could be very troubling for some younger viewers.
That should make a few folks happy.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-28-09 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i saw a commerical eariler during the BCS.
I missed this when it was posted earlier. When I recently saw the preview, I thought it looked an awful lot like A Tale of Two Sisters. Now I see why.
Old 02-02-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as someone who just saw 'A Tale of Two Sisters' for the first time, I'm not expecting much out of the remake. But don't hate on remakes cause just like Robo mentioned. It will bring the story to a new audience and they might seek out the original and find a true gem.
Old 02-02-09, 01:14 PM

It will bring the story to a new audience and they might seek out the original and find a true gem.
Let's be real, the majority of the people who go to see these remakes don't give a shit about the original. They don't even care an original exists. They just want to see something scary. These are the same people who liked The Unborn.

These people are my girlfriend.
Old 02-02-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Let's be real, the majority of the people who go to see these remakes don't give a shit about the original. They don't even care an original exists. They just want to see something scary. These are the same people who liked The Unborn.

be strong!
Old 02-02-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well shit all over my parade why don't you you're probably right though. But I was never into foreign cinema until about 5 years ago and the Ring made me discover Ringu and although the Ring was actually pretty good Ringu was superior.
Old 05-25-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw The Uninvited, it was a very nice horror film, one of the best I've seen. A movie that I would compare the plot to is:

Spoiler:
The Sixth Sense

It was a pretty good horror flick, well worth the $1 that I paid for it out of Redbox and I recommend that everybody sees it. So it was a remake of some Korean horror flick? I don't care. And you shouldn't care either, especially if you haven't seen the original.

That being said, now that I know that A Tale of Two Sisters exists, if I ever see it on the $1 rack at my local video store I'll rent it.

Plot discussion (spoilers):
Spoiler:
I really liked how the chick turned out to be nuts in the end, not what I was expecting from such an innocent looking girl. Well acted.
Old 05-26-09, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
It was a pretty good horror flick, well worth the $1 that I paid for it out of Redbox and I recommend that everybody sees it. So it was a remake of some Korean horror flick? I don't care.
See?