Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Enchanted - watch these clips from the movie!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disney sees 'Enchanted ' fractured fairy tale as next franchise

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070619/...enchanted_dc_1

By Gina Keating
Tue Jun 19, 7:38 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. is hoping a fractured fairy tale that swaps Manhattan for a magic kingdom, a divorce lawyer for a prince, and roaches and pigeons for wholesome forest creatures will turn into its newest film franchise.

"Enchanted," set for a November 21 release, pokes fun at old Disney films such as "Sleeping Beauty" or "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" where the heroine surrounds herself with cuddly creatures or people whistling happy tunes.

As a result, the movie represents a big risk for the studio to turn into a profit-making franchise with numerous sequels, such as its "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

Disney would not disclose how much the film cost to make.

The irony of Disney flaunting the conventions of the very films on which the company was built was one idea that excited the film's makers.

"It's really difficult material," director Kevin Lima told Reuters following a news conference on Monday. "What it really took is ... someone who understood the heritage, who loved it. Someone who wasn't afraid of it."

Disney executives knew "the only way this was going to work is if we can take the 'Mickey' out of ourselves, so to speak, so we can look back at who we are and be able to laugh," Lima said.

When asked whether "Enchanted" could be a franchise film, he said, "We all hope," and added that already he was thinking about ideas for a sequel featuring the same key characters.

"Enchanted" blends old-style, hand-drawn animation as well as live action to turn the idea of fairy tales upside down.

It begins in the animated world of Andalasia, where Princess Giselle (Amy Adams) is preparing to marry her handsome Prince Edward (James Marsden), but ends up in the real world of Times Square at rush hour after the ubiquitous wicked queen (Susan Sarandon) pushes Giselle down an enchanted well.

Lima, a longtime Disney animator who directed "Tarzan" and "101 Dalmatians" and designed characters for "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin," said he drew on Disney fairy tale cliches to come up with the right tone for "Enchanted."

Disney did not disclose whether the actors have signed multi-picture contracts to come back for a sequel.

I did a search under 'Enchanted' and didn't find anything.

This kind of sounds like in the 'Shrek' vein.

Chris
Old 06-20-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comingsoon.net has the trailer up in various formats. Link

Looks interesting.
Old 06-20-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I guess they had enough of Shrek making tons of money off them they decided to make fun of themselves.

From the description, it sounds like it would be a made for TV movie.
Old 06-20-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a fun time for us and the girls.
Old 06-20-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy crap, I sat in on a focus group for this about 5 years ago. They pitched us this idea, and even called it Enchanted back then. It sounded ok, but Reese Witherspoon was attached to it back then. We read through about 20 script pages and they were hammering us HARD on how to pitch an animated/live action movie to males. What we read was pretty cookie-cutter, nothing that seemed like it had any real future, but hopefully they've done a lot of work on it since then. I'm just surprised to hear about it this many years later, even then they were still harping on how to detach the "Mickey" stigma from a Disney movie.

We also previewed The Alamo, which was desribed to us as Disney's sure-fire Christmas blockbuster.
Old 06-20-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I actually think this looks like a lot of fun. Althougth they should have picked another title...everyone's going to confuse this with (or think it's a sequel to) "Ella Enchanted".
Old 06-20-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Althougth they should have picked another title...everyone's going to confuse this with (or think it's a sequel to) "Ella Enchanted".
Um, I doubt that.
Old 06-20-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, it has a sassy, fat, black woman, so it must be good.
Old 06-20-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That actually looks a lot better than the description makes it sound. I dunno, could be fun.

Also, Amy Adams:
Old 11-14-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ran across the 'Enchanted' site on my space - scroll down to where it says 'Movie Clips', they have three of them posted, two of them are full musical numbers and are quite funny... this looks like it's gonna be a big hit for Disney.

http://myspace.com/enchantedmovie
Old 11-15-07, 09:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 11-15-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The animated segments look fantastic.. but I'm still a bit cautious about the live-action stuff.
Old 11-15-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the link!

I'm really looking forward to this as well. The whole concept is brilliant, and the music (at least what I've heard so far) is pure Disney magic.
Old 11-15-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Times Square scene made me curious as to when that was shot, because it has the Bar Code in the background and that place has been gone for a few years now. I'm guessing they greenscreened some of the live-action stuff instead of actually filming in the square.
Old 11-15-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The animated segments look fantastic.. but I'm still a bit cautious about the live-action stuff.
I was thinking the same thing... But I am still going to check it out.
Old 11-15-07, 02:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My daughter is huge on the whole "princess" thing, so I'll be seeing this one way or the other.
Old 11-15-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I could barely sit through these scenes, I can't imagine having to sit through the whole movie.
Old 11-15-07, 03:18 PM

sounds like someone needs to lighten up.
Old 11-15-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I would like to see this, it looks really interesting, and I think Amy Adams is one of the most attractive underrated actresses out there now. I just don't want to go to a showing that will have me crammed in a theater full of little kids coughing, hitting each other, and losing their lunch from too much popcorn. (These have all happened to me before at family films around the holiday period.)
Old 11-15-07, 05:10 PM

i actually saw a sneak preview last wk and it was a really cute movie. the way they turned the real-life characters into cartoons and vice versa was so neat. actually, on the movies website, you can upload your picture and turn into a disney character- check it out http://www.enchanted3dhead.com/intro.php me and my little nieces had a blast doing this!
Old 11-15-07, 11:00 PM

I've been 'Enchanted':

Old 11-21-07, 11:37 AM

haha, glad you enjoyed it. have u listened to the carrie underwood song for the movie? ahh--so good! ever, ever..after!
Old 11-21-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only saw it today because I was looking after my best friend's daughter and she was dying to see it, but I ended up really loving the movie. The cast was really good (especially Amy Adams) and I ended up swallowing it hook, line, and sinker. What a nice surprise it turned out to be. I ended up getting the soundtrack for both of us after the movie, as the music was all really fun.
Old 11-21-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by onebyone
I only saw it today because I was looking after my best friend's daughter and she was dying to see it, but I ended up really loving the movie. The cast was really good (especially Amy Adams) and I ended up swallowing it hook, line, and sinker. What a nice surprise it turned out to be. I ended up getting the soundtrack for both of us after the movie, as the music was all really fun.
I've seen the movie and it turned into one of the most pleasant surprises of the year. Amy Adams was perfect in her role as Princess Giselle, and you definitely cannot get the song "That's How You Know" out of your head. Both Adams and the song are going to be candidates for Oscar nominations.
Old 11-21-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this tonight...just awesome!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.