Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Hollywood...we don't want your Anti-War/Anti-US films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hey Hollywood...we don't want your Anti-War/Anti-US films

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I find redneck to be a character trait more than a class of people.
A lot of people say the same thing when they use the "N" word. Enjoy the company.
Old 11-30-07, 12:35 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
A lot of people say the same thing when they use the "N" word. Enjoy the company.
not really, but thanks for playing.
Old 11-30-07, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by StevieRayFan
>>> But you're criticizing what you haven't even seen. Which makes your points very mute.

Moot, not mute.

I’m criticizing his motivation for making the film, I’m criticizing the effects it will have over seas. I’m criticizing him as an American duriing a time of war. He’s on the record saying he made the movie to stop the war. This had nothing to do with art, This was an Editorial Page made with the bluster and power of Hollywoo
IT IS BASED ON ACTUAL EVENTS. end of story, pal.
Old 11-30-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

not really, but thanks for playing.
Really? You use a term as a slur to refer the characteristics of a group of people and that is different?

So, because I'm a redneck hick myself and probably can't follow what smart people say very well, dumb it down for me and explain why your position is morally superior.
Old 11-30-07, 01:21 AM

Really? You use a term as a slur to refer the characteristics of a group of people and that is different?

So, because I'm a redneck hick myself and probably can't follow what smart people say very well, dumb it down for me and explain why your position is morally superior.
What is so terrible about the word redneck?
Old 11-30-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk God

You don't think you are using it as a slur to describe people you think little of? You don't claim to be one. Gay people can use "queer" and other words. Apparently the N-word is okay for Black people to use, but both are considered an unacceptable term when used as a slur by people not of those groups. So again, why is it different? Because the term is currently socially acceptable, just like when Rober Byrd use to use the N-word in his childhood? Do you need for this negative term you use to become politically correct before you think it is wrong to use this stereotype?

If I only took the term from you in the manner in which it was intended, would it be the type of thing you would want someone to say about you or someone you like?

Time for me to preach tolerance and sing Kumbaya.

I don't mean to be a butt, but it seems like by the use of the term, are you doing anything different than anyone else?
Old 11-30-07, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>> Fastest bit of contradiction I've ever encountered.

Maybe your “contradiction” means I didn’t follow your template of what is to be expected.
Or, to follow the wisdom of Sherlock Holmes, you can't string together a tiny bit of logic.
>>> By calling him a traitor, and using that word in particular and all its ramifications, what action do you advocate? If none, what value is there in the term "traitor," at least in the way you use it?

I don’t advocate an action other than for me personally to not (inaction) see any of my $$ going into his pocket… ever again. The same value of the term when it is applied to anyone else. A don’t trust this guy, stigma. Don’t support him. Ignore him.

Good night, fellas.
Is that what we do to traitors, then? Simply ignore them? The word traitor is used to call for a very particular set of actions - prosecution, execution, and so on. The word you want to use - the correct word - is agitator. The difference, of course, is that the word agitator does not appeal to some misguided - and frankly, mentally challenged - sense of patriotic zealotry.
Old 11-30-07, 07:19 AM

You don't think you are using it as a slur to describe people you think little of? You don't claim to be one. Gay people can use "queer" and other words. Apparently the N-word is okay for Black people to use, but both are considered an unacceptable term when used as a slur by people not of those groups. So again, why is it different? Because the term is currently socially acceptable, just like when Rober Byrd use to use the N-word in his childhood? Do you need for this negative term you use to become politically correct before you think it is wrong to use this stereotype?

If I only took the term from you in the manner in which it was intended, would it be the type of thing you would want someone to say about you or someone you like?

Time for me to preach tolerance and sing Kumbaya.

I don't mean to be a butt, but it seems like by the use of the term, are you doing anything different than anyone else?
First off, you don't choose to be black or gay. You do choose, however, to be a racist country bumpkin. I feel no sympathy for such persons. It doesn't mean I "hate" them, but I don't have to respect them.
Old 11-30-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So now country folk are all racists...We're really getting somewhere now!
Old 11-30-07, 07:33 AM

also, I don't see how anyone can judge someone because of what they are (black, gay). who they are is another story.
Old 11-30-07, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
So now country folk are all racists...We're really getting somewhere now!
Where did I say that?
Old 11-30-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The moral of the story is this: It's not okay make fun of jews, blacks, homosexuals, or any other cultural identity....but it is totally acceptable to make fun of rednecks. If you consider yourself a redneck and would wear a shirt "I'm proud to be a redneck," then I feel sorry for you.
Old 11-30-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It appears as though kvrdave is talking about comparing rednecks to blacks and gays...where do the racist country bumpkins factor in?
Old 11-30-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since when did the usual-laughable term "redneck" become a serious cultural identity term? Is there something that the South knows that the rest of the States don't know? Is there a "Redneck Association" that represents itself in Congress now?
Old 11-30-07, 07:58 AM

It appears as though kvrdave is talking about comparing rednecks to blacks and gays...where do the racist country bumpkins factor in?
red·neck (rĕd'nĕk')

A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.
Old 11-30-07, 07:59 AM

I would say there definitely is a cultural identity amongst people who us ignorant outsiders would refer to as 'rednecks'. I know a lot of people are proud of their rural, farming heritage, and we in the city and suburbs cannot live without them. Personally, I don't care either way, because I'm sure they have plenty of words for us city slickers. I don't think I'm any better than them, and in fact, in my experience I find Southerners to be very nice people, a lot nicer than the average yuppie in the city.
I went to school with them. They're not.
Old 11-30-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

red·neck (rĕd'nĕk')

A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Haha, great definition....so can the rednecks in here please explain why one would want to be proud of being a redneck?
Old 11-30-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

red·neck (rĕd'nĕk')

Ahh the American Heritage Definion....but I see you happened to leave out the complete definition:

n. Offensive Slang

1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Nice try
Old 11-30-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to school with them. They're not.
Well that's anecdotal vs anecdotal so I guess it doesn't matter either way.
Old 11-30-07, 08:04 AM

I left that definition out because it does not apply when I use it.

Nice try
Old 11-30-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

However the Offensive Slang noun usage applies to both definitions. What it means, is that the second definition describes the stereotype that is used for the term redneck.
Nice try.

We can go around in circles forever if you wish, I'm just pointing out that the word can be construed as offensive by some people.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 11-30-07 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-30-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haha, this is the funniest thread i've seen in a long time...

here's another definition:

Republican (ree pub lick can)
Old 11-30-07, 08:07 AM

I don't consider all country folk to be rednecks, so again, it does not apply.
Old 11-30-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would it be offensive to call a redneck "a redneck"? According to our southern experts in here, I thought it's a term to be proud of now? If the person is not a redneck, then of course that person will be offended. Unless the word "redneck" to a redneck is like the N-word to a black person, in which it's only okay for ones amongst themselves to call each other that insulting word?

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-30-07 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-30-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I get it now. I know some people who don't consider all black people to be *******s, either. Just some of them. You know, the ghetto ones that talk in ebonics. Thanks for the clarification.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.