Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MAX PAYNE: [Video Game] The Movie -2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

MAX PAYNE: [Video Game] The Movie -2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
I've heard of the game and the trailer looks like "Constantine"...I loved "Constantine". So I may be in for Max Payne.
Old 09-30-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Constantine on the grounds that it had nothing to do with the book.. but on the flip side, I am looking forward to this flick.
Old 09-30-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Although the rating sucks (no foul mouthed Vinnie Gognitti - although in all fairness he only got to use his multiple f-bombs in Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne - or the great Rico Muerte intro/death I guess), I'm still looking foward to this flick and that "Gamer Dedicated Cut". Although shouldn't they have released that version from the start and forget about the truncated version? Given how short the game was (and how characters like Vladimir Lem apparently aren't even in the movie), I doubt the longer cut even makes it to the 2 hour mark.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-01-08 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just saw this tonight. Although far from lofty praise, this is the best video game based movie I've ever seen. It got the film noir feel and the action style from the game perfectly.

Although I was at first upset that certain major characters are omitted
Spoiler:
(Vladimir Lem and Alfred Woden)
and others simply referenced
Spoiler:
(Vinnie Gognitti)
, I like how minor characters from the game
Spoiler:
(B.B. and Jack Lupino)
where given major roles this time around.

It followed the basic premis enough to be familiar to fans of the game but also mixed things up enough to feel fresh too.

BTW, be sure to stay 'til after the end credits.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-16-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I loved the games and I am looking forward to the film. The game itself felt like a movie so I hope this is good.
Old 10-16-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It does feel like the game but at the same time it's its own thing. As long as you don't expect a beat for beat adaptation of the game, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Spoiler:
I like litte nods to the game like the Valkyr graffiti, the Gognitti's Self Storage sign, locations from the game, and the fact that the last time you see Mona in the film proper she's in an elevater and being shot at (though in a different context from that of the game).
Old 10-17-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8% positive at RT & the one positive review is really weak. Orndorf gives it half a star (for what that's worth). Sounds like a typical video game movie to me. Best thing I've heard is it's only 86 minutes.
Old 10-17-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
this is the best video game based movie I've ever seen.
LOL,I'm hoping you haven't seen that many video game movies because....
That's so far from the truth it's almost funny seeing that....
Don't get me wrong,I thought it was good but I also let down at the same time.
I'm very curious to see the "director/unrated cut" when it hits DVD....
The style of the movie looked amazing plus it had a great cast.....
Old 10-17-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Torchur317
There haven't been any good video game movies. It's not hard to top Hitman.

Sucks that this movie isn't getting good reviews.
Old 10-17-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hitman was better than this....
Old 10-17-08, 01:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I dozed off at least three times during the movie, what a letdown of a film.... it needed better pacing and a better story.
Old 10-17-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, I have to ask... are there really angels and demons or are they hallucinations?
Old 10-17-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I have seen all except the Boll directed ones. Which is why I prefaced my statement with "Although far from lofty praise".

I enjoyed this one more than most, though I did have some gripes. The aforementioned weird pacing for one. The film was slowly (a bit too slowly) building towards Max's confrontation with Lupino. But then after Max sees the tape, the film seems as if in a rush to finish. Heck, even Mona suddenly cares about Max. Sure she finally knew his backstory but she didn't really know him at all enough to care about him.

Also, the scene in the tattoo parlor was nothing but an excercise in clunky exposition.

I'm definitely looking foward to the director's/gamer-centric/unrated cut but I was satisfied with what I saw. I'd never rank it among my top ten movies but certainly high among those based on games.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-17-08 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-17-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So, I have to ask... are there really angels and demons or are they hallucinations?
Spoiler:
They're hallucinations brought on by the drug Valkyr.
Too bad there was no one screaming "the flesh of Fallen Angels".
Spoiler:
Although we did get a guy telling Max "they're with the Angels now". So I guess that was meant as a nod of sorts.
Old 10-17-08, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
Best thing I've heard is it's only 86 minutes.
I believe the movie is 100 minutes according to both IMDB and Movietickets.com. My show was @ 12:00 and I didn't walk out until 2:00. There's no way I had more than 30 minutes of trailers.

I liked the movie myself. I thought it was leaps and bounds ahead of HITMAN. It had some crazy-low bass too. That should be fun on Blu-Ray.

If you do go to see it definately stay for the end of the credits.
Old 10-17-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, the poor reviews have me questioning watching this now
Old 10-17-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Hmm, the poor reviews have me questioning watching this now
Me too. They're like really poor.
Old 10-18-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was very excited about the movie, and left disappointed... Not a bad movie, but just boring at times and lacked action. Maybe the longer version will have a bit better pacing to it and some more action hopefully.
Old 10-19-08, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was long. Longer than I anticipated. My show started at 10:45 and I didn't leave the theater until 12:45. Theater was dead.

You know I didn't go in expecting much, so I wasn't really THAT disappointed. Pacing did feel off.. there seemed to be abrupt cuts here and there (since it was trimmed to get the lower rating).. but it was a pretty gritty PG-13. Mila Kunis spits an f-bomb and it's pretty violent.

I haven't seen Hitman so I can't compare, but I still think the "best video game movie" is either the first Mortal Kombat or the first Resident Evil. This was entertaining though.

It's a good popcorn flick to watch on a rainy day. I wasn't going in expecting The Dark Knight, so I guess that's why I wasn't let down. It was solid entertainment. If you want close to 2 hours of mindless violence, this is the way to go.

Anyone else stay after the credits?
Spoiler:
There's about a 2 or 3 minute scene with Max going back to the bar when things are "normal" again.. and he meets up with Mila Kunis' character who slips him a newspaper that has an article on that woman that was head of the pharmaceutical company. Almost like, they're to get her next. Sort of left it open for a sequel.
Old 01-22-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: MAX PAYNE: [Video Game] The Movie -2008

I finally got around to seeing this with the new disc out.

This movie was terrible. Really. I didn't have high expectations, I expected better than Hitman but it wasn't. I liked Hitman better.

The Good:

Olga Kurylenko -- I liked her in the movie. I felt the movie went downhill after she left.

Special Effects -- I liked the angels/demons things. They looked pretty good.

Visual Style -- It had it's own style without over doing it like The Spirit

The Bad:

Mila Kunis -- Now I love Mila just as much as the next guy but she was too unbelievable in the role. Jackie goes around holding a sub-machine gun threatening people? I never bought it for one second.

Mark Wahlberg -- It's not that he was bad. I just expected more from him. With this and The Happening, I now know to lower my expectations when I see a Marky Mark movie.

--

It was bad. Marky Mark, Olga, Mila, Ludacris, Donal Logue, and even Chris O'Donnell all deserve far better movies.
Old 01-22-09, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is it me..or does Beau Bridges just suck overall..I don't think I've seen him in anything good.
Old 01-22-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I finally got around to seeing this with the new disc out.

This movie was terrible. Really. I didn't have high expectations, I expected better than Hitman but it wasn't. I liked Hitman better.

The Good:

Olga Kurylenko -- I liked her in the movie. I felt the movie went downhill after she left.

Special Effects -- I liked the angels/demons things. They looked pretty good.

Visual Style -- It had it's own style without over doing it like The Spirit

The Bad:

Mila Kunis -- Now I love Mila just as much as the next guy but she was too unbelievable in the role. Jackie goes around holding a sub-machine gun threatening people? I never bought it for one second.
I agree with most of your points. And I have much love for both Mila and Olga but I had a hard time buying Mila being all badass on Olga.

Also, I was kinda thinking that there would be some cool supernatural element to the is film but there wasn't. Oh well.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-22-09 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I rented this from the Red Box on Tuesday and was pretty disappointed. The first half of the film was slow and plodding, with nothing really happening at all. The characterization of the drugs were cool in concept, but pulled off poorly, especially with the Lupino character. I was hoping for the movie to be more like the 2nd half of the film, with Payne reeking havoc which was more akin to the game. Mila was miscast, although I thought Wahlberg was fine.

I did think the setting was fantastic, with the falling snow throughout the film. It was pretty to look at, at least.
Old 01-25-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally caught a rental of this. So the fallen angels were just hallucinations, so what the crap happened to that Natasha chick?
Old 01-25-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
She was hacked to pieces by Lupino.

I feel a lot was left on the cutting room floor because, although I can buy Lupino was crazy, his goons didn't seem crazy at all. Just look at the bodyguards when he's hacking away at that one guy. They seem calm and collected. I wonder if there was a subplot involving that guy that got cut from the finished film.

Another reason I feel the film was cut down is when the Feds show up. Why? What possible evidence could Bravura have that warranted the FBI to show up at his request. Max still had the files. Bravura never knew about the drug. He just knows there was a huge shootout at AESIR and that the cops on the scene were never called in. He had no proof however that they were working for B.B.

That's why I wish the promised gamer-centric cut had turned out to be more than simply a hollow promise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.