Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

E.T. - How overrated is this film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a hankerin' to pop in my old 2002 20th anniversary DVD of this film tonight, and watching it made me realize:

Despite all of its fanfare and glory it never really had a childhood impact on me in the way that STAR WARS or any of the classic Spielberg films did.

And plus, it's never replayed on network TV or cable anymore. CBS used to play during Thanksgiving during the 90's but it disappeared after that.

And when I popped it in tonight, I was amazed that I don't really THINK about this film anymore.

How do you feel?
Old 10-30-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I loved it as a kid. I was enchanted by the whole thing: the music, the cinematography, the acting, E.T. him/itself, and how the story played out. It was the best film I had ever seen...at that time.

Now, I still find it entertaining, but it doesn't have the lasting impression. I appreciate Spielberg's artistry, but I, too, find it overrated. I don't necessarily think it's a modern classic, but maybe I'm just too old and cynical now.
Old 10-30-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
And plus, it's never replayed on network TV or cable anymore. CBS used to play during Thanksgiving during the 90's but it disappeared after that.
I feel fine. Thanks for asking.

I will tell you that, though I can't remember what station it was on, ET was on cable last year. I think around Thanksgiving. I don't think it was TNT, but it might've been USA.
Old 10-30-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I think people underestimate how scary that long necked turd colored monster is. The scene when the girl discovers the monster in the closet is frightening indeed.
Old 10-30-07, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a small boy when the movie came out I had no interest in seeing it. Heard about the all the hype when it was released on VHS for rental and remember the long wait for it to premiere on Australian TV. Thought it was boring.
The movies I remember loving were The Goonies, Empire Strikes and Return of the Jedi (was too young to appreciate Star Wars initially, but loved it afterwards), Gremlins, Ghostbusters.
Yeah I think it's been overhyped.
Old 10-30-07, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw ET during the revival in the early 00's and found it awesome. I've seen it a couple times since on DVD but didn't like it as much / wasn't as interested.
Old 10-30-07, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember in 7th grade art class I found a old magazine that a pre-release ad for the movie. Interesting find.

Before anyone else, Walkie Talkies.
Old 10-30-07, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I was 5 when E.T. came out. My mom took me to the theater to see it and I becamse obsessed with it. We wound up seeing it 8 times theatrically. It still holds up pretty well for me. I try to break the dvd out once or twice a year.
Old 10-30-07, 06:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I think ET still appeals mostly to kids cause the movie is seen through a 10 year old kid, and I think that is why a movie like SW(ANH) still holds up better to us adults these days. I would equate ET to Wizard of Oz, as classic movies that all of us probably loved more as kids, but don't watch them nearly as much as adults, but if it is on TV, you still marvel at how a great a film it.

It was on Family Channel about 2 weeks ago, and it is still works, especially the ending with the music. What made these movies from the late 70's/early 80's from this genre different then the summer blockbuster today is that it didn't cater to kiddies, the characters felt real, and they worked on a dramatic level too.

Most summer movies today, try to hit every market, and the characters are always one dimensional, and the story is always thin with little drama, as they are just trying to wow you with special effects, and that is a huge reason why ET will hold up much better then most movies today. Again, this is not a movie I pop in as much as SW, Raiders, or Back to the Future, but it still works for kids these days, yet adults can still enjoy it too.

And by the way, the Family Channel showed the Original 1982 Version with the policeman holding guns when the kids start to fly, and didn't play that stupid SE with the walkie talkies.

Last edited by coli; 10-30-07 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You all are crazy, this is one of the best movies ever made.
Old 10-30-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive never been a fan of the movie myself even when I was a kid, however I don't think any movie is overrated really... People like what they like, and if a lot of people like something in particular, then so be it. I may not get it, but oh well.
Old 10-30-07, 07:23 AM

I've always maintained that it's the most overrated movie of all-time. It's basically Old Yeller with an alien, only Spielberg didn't have the balls to keep E.T. dead at the end.

That being said, it's still a terrific film. Just nowhere near as great as people make it out to be.
Old 10-30-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never seen it...
Old 10-30-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love it. I saw it as a child (I think during a re-release) and was mesmerized. It moved me then and I still find the film engaging and emotional. I honestly don't know how someone can't like this movie... it has great dialogue, characters and a lot of heart. I've seen it many times now and it still holds up for me.
Old 10-30-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You all are crazy, this is one of the best movies ever made.
Hear, hear! It's interesting that while this film was a huge success, Blade Runner (released about the same time) was a box office bomb. People didn't warm to dark, depressing sci-fi too much back then.
Old 10-30-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
I think the reason for your opinion that E.T. doesn't have the lasting impact of some of Spielberg's other films is that there's no sequel.

Spielberg's been involved with so many other projects that saw sequel after sequel (Jaws, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, etc). Those film series resonate a little more with fans because more folks were exposed to them over a number of years.
Old 10-30-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Umm, let's see....

It's probably Spielberg's second-best film (behind Schindler's List).

Spielberg is probably one of the top-five directors EVER.

Conclusion: It's a pretty damn good flick.
Old 10-30-07, 10:33 AM
Banned

I think it is extremely overrated. I have thought so ever since I was little. Spielberg is great but i would rank E.T. down with Always as one of his weakest films. I actually prefer 1941 to E.T.
I wouldn't call E.T. a bad film (and i do own the big gift set that came out like 5 years ago) but i don't find anything in it that really stands out or makes it memorable.
Old 10-30-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe

It was just on ABC family last weekend, my kids watched part of it, then asked me to get my dvd so they could watch it again. It definitely has some nostalgia for me.
Old 10-30-07, 10:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
It was just on ABC family last weekend, my kids watched part of it, then asked me to get my dvd so they could watch it again. It definitely has some nostalgia for me.
I have to say watching this on standard cable tv must be annoying as hell, with all the commercial breaks. Secondly, the music is simply one of John Williams best - in 5.1 surround - it's downright amazing, the DTS track on the original theatrical cut of the film and the ending since it's almost essentially all music, is the ideal way to experience the film.
Old 10-30-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love "penis breath". ET forever!
Old 10-30-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
It's well-made hokum.
Old 10-30-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Never cared for it as a kid, or now.
Old 10-30-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wildman1037
Never seen it...
Don't feel bad. I have a friend who's never seen it, either. In fact, he actually refuses to watch it. I've offered to pop it in several times over the years, and he just flat-out refuses to watch it. I can't figure it out why someone would seemingly have such hatred for a movie they've never even seen.
Old 10-30-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I can't figure it out why someone would seemingly have such hatred for a movie they've never even seen*.

*Unless it has the Prefix, "Tyler Perry's" before it, of course.

Fixed.

-Doc

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.