Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw IV (Movie discussion thread.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Has anyone had a chance to get a sneek peek of this? I'm looking forward to seeing it. I know that many people out there hate this series or wish it would just stop, but at least it gives the fans something decent to look forward to during Halloween.
Old 10-25-07, 07:31 PM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to get a friend to go to the midnight showing. He'll be too busy getting free pancakes to see it.

Last edited by Li; 10-25-07 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 09:26 PM

seeing this tonight... not expecting much... the third one was a good way to close the "trilogy"
Old 10-25-07, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw a preview screening a few nights ago and thought the movie was pretty bad.
For frame of reference: I love Saw, didn't like Saw II but loved the twist, hated Saw III. I would say Saw IV falls in between II and III. It focuses a lot more on the story than III, and didn't seem to have any many torture/murder scenes. The traps this time around aren't really creative or crazy. The coolest and most unexpected death was pretty much ripped off from
Spoiler:
Final Destination 3.

The twists were real lame. I won't reveal the actual details, but I still wouldn't read the spoilers if you care about this movie. If anyone wants to know the actual ending, I can post that later.

Spoiler:
The twists felt like retreads of the previous films. The identity of Jigsaw's accomplice is very obvious and kind of rips off the first movie's big reveal. Another aspect of the ending reminded me a lot of Saw II's twist. I'm still confused by the major twist, as were numerous people in the audience. All I will say is that Saw IV attempts to pull off something that a recent film did, but doesn't do it as well.

With every consecutive sequel, the cast and script worsens. I'd give it a D.
Old 10-25-07, 11:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Ill see this because iv seen every saw in the theatures and its a tradition with me and a friend but im not expecting much saw III was a good ending and still think they should have left it at that
Old 10-25-07, 11:52 PM
Cool New Member

Could you post the ending.

I have no intention of seeing this loved the first one but didn't like the rest.
Old 10-26-07, 01:12 AM

just got back...

it was pretty bad. felt like a film trying to be like "saw," but never quite gets there. WAY too much jumping around, confusing plot points that don't get cleared up until later in the film, and quite a few downright laughable moments (and our audience did laugh- not in a good way either)

i thought saw 2 had its bad moments, but nowhere near this bad. there is 1 "good" puzzle that is believable... none of the rest could ever be pulled off.

LOVED saw 1. saw 3 was entertaining and had some smart moments.

i'd go as far as to say that i'm not even going to consider this part of the "saw" series.

time for bed.
Old 10-26-07, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, I have no intention of seeing this, but the filmmakers said that this one was going to explain what was on the tape that he poured wax on and what was in the letter that Amanda read the shocked her.

If it did explain both of these things, could somebody who saw it please post (in a spoiler box) what the explanation was?
Old 10-26-07, 01:32 PM

can i just ask why you have no intention of seeing this but know those important plot points from saw iii so well?

i probably wouldnt be the best at explaining those 2 points b/c this film was so all over the place i would probably need to see it again to catch everything (but im not going to). the tape covered in wax WAS a key part of the entire movie though. i hadn't seen saw iii since opening night in the theaters so i didn't even remember the tape or the letter. lol
Old 10-26-07, 01:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked 3 the most out of the original three because of the way the story wrapped back around on itself, and the character motivations, twists etc., so I was excited thinking that 4 might be good. But, reviews of it all seem to say that it's going in a direction that I really wouldn't enjoy.

But, I was bothered by them not explaining the tape and the letter from three, so had been hoping that they would be explained in 4, and therefore had been reading a lot of interviews and early info about it, and saw the director talking about how both would definiately be explained in this movie, and was just hoping that somebody could post what was on them.
Old 10-26-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Got the free movie ticket from the Saw III DC DVD, so I will definitely see it this afternoon. The only Saw movie that I absolutely hated was Saw I, but that was mainly due to Danny Glover and Carry Elwes' horrendous acting. I actually liked part 2 and 3.
Old 10-26-07, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
The ending:

Spoiler:
The first scene in the film is Jigsaw's autopsy.... Then the movie kicks into action with traps and such... Towards the end of the film, we realize that the autopsy is really the final scene (chronilogically) and that Saw 4 is actually taking place during Saw 3. As for the "new" killer...meh. I don't care about him, and I don't want to see sequels with him.
Spoiler:
The new killer is Detective Hoffman (Costas Mandaylor)
Old 10-26-07, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Spoiler:
The new killer is Detective Hoffman (Costas Mandaylor)
Crap. I cant believe I read that. Im seeing this tonight, is that a huge spoiler? I dont want to ruin it already.
Old 10-26-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Layziebones
Crap. I cant believe I read that. Im seeing this tonight, is that a huge spoiler? I dont want to ruin it already.
Yes it is, but now you can view it in a different light, which will make it enjoyable in a different way.

Just came back from the film. I liked it
Spoiler:
although it was basically Saw 3.5, with the whole taking place at the same time thing, and the same story of a person going through numerous tasks with other lives in their hands. The twist was the weakest so far, but I'm very intrigued to where this is going. Was Hoffman working with Jigsaw? If so why did Jigsaw leave a tape that seemed to surprise Hoffman (or maybe he wasn't and I couldn't tell). Plus what was really in that envelope to Amanda. And wasn't Obi's connection supposed to be explored? And a few characters may or may not be dead, hopefully some of this is answered in the next film
Old 10-26-07, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Yeah, that's a pretty big spoiler. BUT -
Spoiler:
The stuff that Jigsaw says to Hoffman on the tape in the autopsy seems to say that Hoffman is still being tested, just like Amanda was (and failed) in part 3.
I think you're right on target.
Spoiler:
When what we first thought was the beginning of the film turned out to be the end Hoffman's reaction to the "wax tape" makes sense. The tape said something to the effect of "if you thought you would get away without being tested, you're wrong." Hoffman thought he was free and clear until he heard that tape.
Old 10-26-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I just came back from watching it. I liked it, but I would only recommend it if your a fan of the series. There were alot of confusing twists and turns in this film.

A couple of thoughts:

Spoiler:

I didn't really understand the lawyer's (Art) association with Jigsaw and why was he being punished. Was it Hoffman who kidnapped him and stitched his mouth shut?

Is Hoffman a copycat killer infatuated with Jigsaw? Didn't really get how he fit into the mix and how he had any association with him. I thought Amanda was his only disciple.

The story being told in flashback perspective was kind of neat. I didn't really get the final scene where Agent Strahm shot Jeff after he killed Jigsaw. I think what made the scene confusing for me was that it was edited so tightly with Rigg's scene with Matthews, Art and Hoffman.

Just noticed that the writers for this movie wrote the Project Greenlight 3 script for "Feast."
Old 10-26-07, 08:46 PM

descent movie except for the ending/twist...but wish they just tied up all the loose ends and ended the series with the 3rd movie. All that seems to be left now are characters that I don't care about.

Last edited by the action; 10-27-07 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-26-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the action- that's exactly what I thought. All the characters that I liked are gone and dead. The new ones that they introduce in this film (who are likely to be the "new" cast for parts 5 and 6) aren't really interesting. I don't care to see a new film starring them.
Old 10-27-07, 03:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I miss the claustrophobia of the first three films, this film felt too wide open. Plus too many traps were set off due to stupidity. Seriously,
Spoiler:
why would Agent Perez be so stupid to mess with such an obvious trap? I could see if these were cops new to the Jigsaw stuff, but they clearly knew enough to know not to toy around with those things, especially when there was no urgent reason to do so.
I think this one will be a bit better on second viewing, though, especially if I watch it right after Saw III.
Old 10-27-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
The omly thing that bugged me was how the agent was able to travel to several spots and interrogate the ex wife at least on two different occasions during a supposed 90 minute game. If you can suspend disbelief like you can for 24 then it is ok. I actually enjoyed the movie but I also do hope they know exactly where they are going with this. Also, the interrogation scenes were done as if Jigsaw were dead.
Old 10-27-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why, oh why couldn't they stop with Saw 3? Saw IV is a total turd. Part 3 had a satisfying conclusion and a great storyline and a definitive ending. You couldn't get more definitive than part 3. So why bother with Saw IV?

There are so many problems with this film.
Spoiler:
First off, I had no idea the autopsy was actually the final scene. It only makes sense once you've seen the entire film, but it just seems to me like another stupid "twist" to add to the already weak script. Almost all of the traps were pretty lame. They were completely implausible. The only one I liked was the first trap Jigsaw made for Cecil. I liked seeing his beginnings in the art of torture. But what was up with this Det. Hoffman guy? Now he's the new Jigsaw. Why? Do we really need to see more of Costas Mandylor in future sequels? I don't. They don't even explain his motivation for aiding Jigsaw. It's like Friday the 13th part 5 except forget the ambulance driver's son got killed, and instead he's just some random dude that dresses and kills like Jason. And wtf was up with Angus MacFayden? It's like the duo that were writing the script got 80% done and then one said, "Shit, we forgot all about that guy left in the building at the end of Saw 3! What should we do?" So the other said, "Let's just have someone shoot him as soon as he pops up. Now we don't have to deal with resolving his story." "High five!" And this guy from Gilmore Girls as the captain? Could he have been any worse of an actor? This movie sucked so bad it hurts my brain.

Here's where I stand if you want a good idea of how I view the series.

Saw was good, but Elwes acting killed it. 8/10.
Saw 2 was also good, but it didn't ever feel great. 8/10
Saw 3 was awesome. A great script with a totally satisfying ending to the series. If they hadn't gotten greedy and just ended it here, this series could eventually become legendary. 9/10.
Saw 4 was bad. New Nightmare bad. 6/10.

Last edited by islandclaws; 10-27-07 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-27-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, this movie had an opening night of $14.4 million. Could be the series biggest opening yet (or equal to parts 2 and 3). Either way, i'm actually surprised that the series is holding up this much in terms of keeping it's audience around. It really doesn't happen often, especially with horror films.
Old 10-27-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
There are so many problems with this film.
Spoiler:
First off, I had no idea the autopsy was actually the final scene. It only makes sense once you've seen the entire film, but it just seems to me like another stupid "twist" to add to the already weak script. Almost all of the traps were pretty lame. They were completely implausible. The only one I liked was the first trap Jigsaw made for Cecil. I liked seeing his beginnings in the art of torture. But what was up with this Det. Hoffman guy? Now he's the new Jigsaw. Why? Do we really need to see more of Costas Mandylor in future sequels? I don't. They don't even explain his motivation for aiding Jigsaw. It's like Friday the 13th part 5 except forget the ambulance driver's son got killed, and instead he's just some random dude that dresses and kills like Jason. And wtf was up with Angus MacFayden? It's like the duo that were writing the script got 80% done and then one said, "Shit, we forgot all about that guy left in the building at the end of Saw 3! What should we do?" So the other said, "Let's just have someone shoot him as soon as he pops up. Now we don't have to deal with resolving his story." "High five!" And this guy from Gilmore Girls as the captain? Could he have been any worse of an actor? This movie sucked so bad it hurts my brain.
I have to agree with alot of your comments. This sequel sorely missed the writing of Leigh Whannell and James Wan, who have essentially left the franchise.

I think the new writers wrote this movie as something they wanted to see in a Saw movie.

More thoughts:
Spoiler:

I agree 100% on your comments of bringing back Angus McFadyen for 1 scene. It made no fucking sense. I think it was more or less a last minute addition.

Nothing in the final scene explained why Hoffman was an accomplice in the 1st place. At least Saw 3 explained why Amanda became involved with Jigsaw and tied up all the loose ends from the previous movies.

They writers never explained how Art got to where he was. He had some weird contraption on his neck, but never explained how it got there. Was he aiding Hoffman?

Frankly I'm amazed they managed to create enough flashback scenes for Tobin Bell. Isn't he contracted to do 1 more movie? Is there even enough material to bring him back?

I know they hired a new director to helm part 5 and 6. I think Darren Lynn Bousman knows they are really stretching to this franchise to extreme limits.

Overall I would give this a C
Old 10-27-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new director is David Hackl, who was the second unit director on Saw 3, Saw 4, and Repo: The Genetic Opera, and also the production designer for Saw 2, Saw 3, Saw 4, and Repo.
Old 10-27-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Will it be grossing at $30mil? $35mil? or $40mil over its opening weekend?

When I watched it last night the theatre is jampacked... (seldom it happens like that for an R-rated gore/horror film)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.