DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Hellraiser (2022, D: Bruckner) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/514561-hellraiser-2022-d-bruckner.html)

RocShemp 10-05-22 08:13 PM

Re: Hellraiser (2022, D: Bruckner)

DJariya 10-07-22 12:07 AM

If you live in the States, this is now up on Hulu. Outside the U.S., I assume it’s in the Star tab on Disney plus.

OldBoy 10-07-22 03:32 PM

not too bad reviews. i may have to give this a go...

stingermck 10-07-22 09:58 PM

It was just OK. At 2 hours long it felt bloated for what little the film is actually doing. I nodded off at one moment.

New Pinhead was cool but it ​​​​felt like the Nightmare and Friday remakes.

Why So Blu? 10-07-22 10:28 PM

I watched it this morning and thought it was mediocre. The Cenobites were cool and all but you could tell this was still produced on the cheap. I think it was supposed to take place in Massachusetts or some similar state, but was all filmed in Belgrade, Serbia. I'm all for getting it however you can but in certain scenes, things were shot so tight, you could tell that they were trying to overcompensate for something. The actors, outside of Goran and Jamie were awful, too.

Maxflier 10-07-22 10:48 PM

Didn’t care for it.

TheBigDave 10-07-22 10:56 PM

I liked it. I'm not a big fan of the Hellraiser movies. This was probably my favorite of the series.

philo 10-08-22 03:10 AM

Dumb and irritating AF. There were times I wished to be torn apart by hooks than listen to another minute of the annoying distraught bickering and stupidity. It should be called Hellraiser: A Series of Unfortunate Events due to the victims ending up killed not through their own hubris or desire but by accident, carelessness or someones else's actions. Its slow and padded out with wash, rinse and repeat victim setups. People seeing Cenobites who never touched the box. Goofy running Cenobite getting its head stuck in a door. Evil rich guy sneaking around with a gold accordion sticking out his sports coat. The predictable heavy handed finale. I didn't think there was anything particularly special about the performance of the new Pinhead. The makeup, altered voice and recycled classic lines from OG Hellraiser doing all the work. The only highlight was seeing the transforming puzzle box lament configuration. Weak uninspired CG gore. I will never watch this one again.

dex14 10-08-22 07:21 AM

I was looking forward to this but found it pretty dull. The two-hour runtime feels more like three.

d2cheer 10-08-22 10:06 AM

Looks like I can skip it...

EddieMoney 10-08-22 11:49 AM

Was really looking forward to this. Very disappointed. It was just a routine slasher film with the requisite annoying, whiny fucks thrown in. The dude with his nerves wrapped into an accordion was stupid as fuck. Cenobite designs were kinda cool, but this film left me with a severe case of blue balls.

Mike86 10-08-22 02:58 PM

I’ve heard it’s just okay but also that it’s one of the better entries in the franchise. Of course that isn’t saying much when so many of the sequels are garbage. I’ll still watch it at some point.

Fist of Doom Jr 10-08-22 05:00 PM

Count me among the disappointed. Thought it was decent, but it should have been 90 minutes, not 2 hours. I like that the Cenobites played a bigger role. I'd put a few of the sequels above this, but I'm a bigger fan of the franchise than most.

Mike86 10-09-22 01:02 AM

For what it was I didn’t mind it. This franchise is just hard for me to get into though. So grotesque and weird for my taste. Also agree that this could have been trimmed to be a little shorter.

I liked the new Pinhead and the other Cenobites. The main characters were just okay. I at least liked Riley.

The kills didn’t seem that crazy and were lots of the chains/hooks. Trevor’s death was gross as was whatever fate Roland meets. I wasn’t sure if Roland is supposed to become a Cenobite or is that just how he’s now forced to live.

maxfisher 10-09-22 04:42 AM

I watched this last night and enjoyed it, but also had fairly low expectations. I really like the first two, but thought the handful of other sequels I’ve caught over the years were bad enough that I don’t even remember which ones they were.

Updating the subtext to be about the way addiction impacts the lives of the addict and those around them worked well enough, the cenobites were well done and the characters were mostly a shade smarter/more realistic than you get in the genre.

I’d put it below the Candyman and first Halloween legacy sequels, but above most other recent remakes/legacy sequels (e.g. Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Scream, The Craft, Halloween Kills, etc.)

Dr. DVD 10-09-22 11:12 AM

Watched this Friday night and while I did love the Cenobites and the performance from Clayton as the new Pinhead, I was left a bit underwhelmed. The movie did feel more Clive Barker than more recent versions, but is that really saying much? I also thought the whole contraption stuck in the Voight guy came across as incredibly goofy looking rather than creepy. I can understand how this is one of the best reviewed of the series as in all honesty, none of the movies really set the critic scores on fire except the first, and I'm pretty sure that one was a bit reviled upon release.

I guess my biggest gripe is that the movie came across more like a traditional haunted house movie but the just plugged the Cenobites in place of the traditional ghosts.

joe_b 10-09-22 07:03 PM

Tedious reboot. It took me three nights to finally finish it. I'll at least say the cinematography was nice, but it wasn't much of an improvement over those terrible DTV Hellraiser sequels in terms of content. At best, this felt like a lesser Dark Castle movie from the early 2000s.

The juicy stuff in the original was the gothic soap opera with Julia and Frank. Kirsty was a likeable heroine thrown into an extremely messed up family situation. The cenobites were just icing on the cake. This movie has none of that. There isn't a single interesting character and barely any story to maintain a two hour film. The "twist" with the boyfriend working for Voight was the most predictable thing ever and was telegraphed from his first scene. I will say that I'd be interested in watching Odessa A'zion in a better movie, since Riley could have been much more annoying played by a lesser actress. I knew she reminded me of someone, but couldn't place it until I looked her up and discovered she's Pamela Adlon's daughter.

IBJoel 10-09-22 08:26 PM

I thought it was alright. I've only seen the original and 2, and this felt like a mash-up of the those. I think it does a good job of making it interesting for modern, younger audiences, although for something pretty gory, it has an odd aversion to nudity, despite having two sex scenes and mostly-naked Cenobites. My biggest gripe is that it makes the villains seem more like generic monsters than something truly alien. I agree it's a tad long.

Gunde 10-10-22 02:00 AM

I liked it. Best "Hellraiser" move since ... ever, but that's not saying much, since they are all varying degrees of mediocre to terrible, let's be completely honest.
Anyways, this one was decently entertaining, with some cool nasty bits. Can't ask for much more at this point.

Mike86 10-10-22 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 14175482)
I liked it. Best "Hellraiser" move since ... ever, but that's not saying much, since they are all varying degrees of mediocre to terrible, let's be completely honest.
Anyways, this one was decently entertaining, with some cool nasty bits. Can't ask for much more at this point.

Truthfully I kind of agree. I think Pinhead is an iconic looking horror character and for that reason the franchise is held in a higher regard. In all honesty though really none of the films are all that great. Including the first two even though they’re probably the best of the bunch.

mndtrp 10-10-22 02:14 PM

It was better than I expected, but I had really low expectations. I more or less like every movie in the franchise, despite most of them being mediocre at best, so I figured this couldn't be any worse than them. I liked the expansion on the lore with the different configurations leading towards different rewards. Voight's contraption was a bit silly, but I guess made sense for a visual representation of his choosing sensation as his reward. I found a lot of it to be too dark to really see the new cenobites.

dsa_shea 10-10-22 09:10 PM

We thought that the movie was very mediocre despite the cool looking cenobites. It veered too far away from how Hellraiser operates, at least in the first couple of films. I was also surprised to find out that there are 10 Hellraiser movies.

asianxcore 10-20-22 11:51 PM

Finally saw this last week.

If the filmmakers put as much work into the script as they did the visual aesthetics of the film, it would have been much stronger.

Loved Jamie Clayton as the Hell Priest.

Spiderbite 10-23-22 12:08 PM

I have gone through EVERY Hellraiser film this month and finally watched this today. My mind is numb. haha

But I have to say...for all the hubbub about this film, it was quite disappointing to me, and I found that a lot of the other straight to video films were, while just as bad story-wise, more enjoyable than this new one.

At least with those, they were typically a tight 90 minutes or less. This one is a bloated 2 hours long that meanders way too much. It later just becomes a haunted house film with Cenobites.

I liked what they did with the Lament Configuration and the different shapes and levels they created. Unfortunately, with this film, they stuck with the mistake (as did some of the other sequels) where the desire for something more than this life is the reason the Cenobites come to visit is gone. Here... you get cut and along comes a Cenobite to fuck with you whether you had the desire or not. And the main "final girl" was slightly annoying the majority of the time.

And while the look of the Cenobites is cool at times, they looked too plastic and latex looking. Gone is the wet realism look of the Cenobites. Here they just look like a molded Star Wars action figure. And the new Pinhead is okay but not very threatening. Personally, if you can't have Doug Bradley, the last actor who was in Hellraiser: Judgment was the best of the non-Bradley three, in my opinion.

I miss Bradley's voice more than anything. Yeah, he looked great, but his voice was just so damn creepy.

So, all in all, the Hellraiser series still has no redemption yet. This film was not the savior so many vowed it would be. The trailer was good though. Oh well...

Abob Teff 11-06-22 05:40 PM

We have such mediocre sights to show you.

I really enjoyed the slow burn of The Night House. I love slow burn movies. I don't feel those sensibilities worked as well for this type of movie though.

I can't say I am a fan of the Hellraiser series (I saw the first one a long time ago), so I wasn't beholden to much coming into this. I actually like the new look of the Cenobites (sorry, black leather S&M is so overplayed by now) though I do agree they are kind of plastic-y looking. Jamie Clayton, the actress playing Pinhead, did a great job with ... well, not much to do.

I expected far more story-telling from Bruckner. As it is, I'm not sure what we spent two-plus hours doing. There was no character development, a missed opportunity to use the pleasures and pain of addiction as a theme, and no explanation about what or why we were even doing this. Just as Goran Visnjic was once the generic George Clooney, this is a generic horror film. Hell, I even expected some undercurrent commentary or theme on transgenderism since many of the characters, not just Cenobites, seemed very androgynous. Nothing. There was no message to this movie.

I will say, this thread was FAR more entertaining! Looking back at all the comments that became predictions about other franchises was funny!