Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Actors/Actresses

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best Actors/Actresses

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Actors/Actresses

For nothing other than my own amusement, or maybe at least to find movies I need to add to my collection, I made a list of my favorite actors. In no particular order, the Top 20:

Edward Norton
Brad Pitt
George Clooney
Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Matt Damon
Jack Nicholson
Christopher Walken
Mark Wahlberg
Denzel Washington
Kevin Spacey
Tom Hanks
Morgan Freeman
Harrison Ford
Will Ferrell/Jim Carrey
Angelina Jolie
Reese Witherspoon
Sandra Bullock
Nicole Kidman
Christina Ricci

I struggled to put actors that appear mainly in comedy's like Ferrell and Carrey because while I like most of their movies, I think they are mainly good comedians instead of good actors overall. Also, actresses where hard to come up with but I wanted some on the list. Admittedly, looks factored in in that category.

So what's your opinion? Am I overlooking someone obvious in your eyes? I may get heck for this, but please don't give me people like Tom Cruise and Samuel El Jackson. I can watch them in good movies, but I don't consider them good actors. I think a good actor should be able to make you forget who they are in real life and become the character they are playing.

Also, I was only listing contemporary actors. Ones in movies in the 90s and 00s.

Last edited by Subterfuge; 10-09-07 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So i cant give you Tom Cruise or Sam Jackson but you can give us Sandra Bullock?
Old 10-09-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Subterfuge
So what's your opinion?

I may get heck for this, but please don't give me people like Tom Cruise and Samuel El Jackson.
If I can't include who I want to include, it's no longer MY OPINION now is it?
Old 10-09-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Samuel El Jackson
Awesome! I'm gonna start calling him that from now on too!
Old 10-09-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You've overlooked Charles Bronson.
Old 10-09-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you honestly want other peoples opinion than let me start with Tom Cruise....also John Cusak, Gary Oldman and Christian Bale.
Old 10-09-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what's your opinion?
Honestly? I think your taste is generally bland and runs mostly to mainstream movie stars, not necessarily good actors. The fact that your list of actresses is based on looks rather than acting talent makes this whole proposition questionable.

Samuel El Jackson
Is this a Hispanic actor I'm not aware of, or do you mean Samuel L. Jackson?

Anyway, a partial list of my favorites:

Actors
Daniel Day-Lewis
Matt Damon
Don Cheadle
Sean Penn
Christian Bale
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Chris Cooper
Viggo Mortenson
Johnny Depp
Gary Oldman
Robert De Niro
Morgan Freeman
Ben Kingsley
Al Pacino

Actresses
Helen Mirren
Judi Dench
Kate Winslet
Jodie Foster
Toni Collette
Laura Linney
Meryl Streep
Jennifer Connelly
Naomi Watts
Joan Allen
Cate Blanchett

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 10-09-07 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think a good actor should be able to make you forget who they are in real life and become the character they are playing.
Then, for the life of me, I can't figure out why Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson are on your list. Harrison almost ALWAYS plays the same type of character, and with the exception of perhaps HOFFA, Jack is always playing "Jack!". But they both have screen presence - that's why we enjoy them so. But acting range, honestly...not really - although Nicholson can, when he gives an effort.

I'd add Jodie Foster to your list. I really think you're selling Jackson and Cruise short (then again, EVERYONE sells Cruise short these days because they don't like his public persona anymore).

And where's Russell Crowe? He's quite possibly the Brando of our era! Now there's a guy who literally BECOMES every character he plays.
Old 10-09-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Harrison Ford is a good actor?
Old 10-09-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Harrison Ford is a good actor?
Im sure Harrison thinks so
Old 10-09-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actors
Christian Bale
Clive Owen
Brad Pitt
Gary Oldman
Toshiro Mifune
Jack Nicholson
Denzel Washington
Johnny Depp
Al Pacino
Robert De Niro

Actresses
Natalie Portman
Cate Blanchett
Charlize Theron
Nicole Kidman
Naomi Watts
Julianne Moore
Audrey Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman
Louise Brooks
Kate Winslet
Old 10-10-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think a good actor should be able to make you forget who they are in real life and become the character they are playing.
You say this and list Marky Mark but don't have Gary Oldman?

I admit Gary Oldman (at least from what I usually see him in) plays some whacked out crazy bad guy but he scores bonus points for:

a. Playing them differently
b. doing different accents on occasion.

I still have no idea what he looks like or sounds like "normally".
Old 10-10-07, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe Geofferey Rush or Robert Duvall haven't been mentioned.
Old 10-10-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actors like Robert Duvall, Robert De Niro, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, etc… All are great actors in my opinion & have range. I think Jack Nicholson is a good actor & although he does end up playing himself in just about every film, at least he’s good at.

I George Clooney but hasn’t played a different character since ER. He’s always playing himself; since he made all that money from Batman, he’s gone all political & he’s always playing a person with his opinions.

My thoughts on his acting ‘buddies’ Brad & Matt is that I think Brad Pitt has more acting ability than Clooney & Damon put together & although he’s in the press way too much, he’s a damn fine actor. I can actually distinguish his characters & his performances are very believable. Matt Damon is an ‘Ok’ actor & I don’t even know if I’d call him a ‘good’ actor. His performances just come off bland.

Morgan Freeman is an actor who has that likable personality but isn’t a good actor. He plays the same lovable, huggable guy in every single film he does. When I see him in movies I don’t go, ‘there’s (insert character he’s played)’, I think oh, there’s Morgan Freeman. I do however applaud him for his performance in The Shawshank Redemption.

As bat-sh*t crazy as Tom Cruise is, he’s a great actor.
Old 10-10-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My two favorite at the moment:

Christian Bale: phenomenal in everything he touches

Guy Pearce: started out phenomenal but seems to be choosing the wrong roles lately. He's still excellent even when the overall film is a turd.
Old 10-10-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
I nominate Dustin Hoffman, Ed Harris, and Gene Hackman.

Edited to add Glenn Close and Alfre Woodard.
Old 10-10-07, 12:07 PM

astrochimp: So i cant give you Tom Cruise or Sam Jackson but you can give us Sandra Bullock?
Like I admitted, the women are probably based more on looks.

Mr. Salty: Honestly? I think your taste is generally bland and runs mostly to mainstream movie stars, not necessarily good actors. The fact that your list of actresses is based on looks rather than acting talent makes this whole proposition questionable.
I labeled the topic as best actors, but if you noticed, I said my FAVORITE actors. What's the point of listing someone that is never in movies I watch. You may say I have mainstream tastes and I realize a lot of "Blockbuster" movies suck, but I don't have the time to search out limited releases and art films.

UAIOE: You say this and list Marky Mark but don't have Gary Oldman?
I'd have thought "Marky Mark" had been in enough films that we would be over that by now.

Shannon Nutt: I can't figure out why Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson are on your list. Harrison almost ALWAYS plays the same type of character, and with the exception of perhaps HOFFA, Jack is always playing "Jack!". But they both have screen presence - that's why we enjoy them so. But acting range, honestly...not really - although Nicholson can, when he gives an effort.
You have a good point here, not the best character actors, but I do enjoy most of their movies.

Of everyone's suggestions, I now need to consider: Christian Bale, Robert De Niro, Gary Oldman, Dustin Hoffman, Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman(as long as we forget about Star Wars), Kate Winslet. And I'll just say I forgot Russell Crowe entirely and would have listed him on the original list if I hadn't.

A lot of great suggestions, sorry if I made anyone who loves Samuel EL Jackson or Tom mad. They really just aren't my thing. Jackson needs to calm down and stop screaming but I do enjoy some of his performances. Maybe I'm letting Tom Cruise as a person cloud my judgment about him, but I can't stand watching any of his movies anymore.
Old 10-10-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure I understand the point of this. It's a list of your favorite actors and not the greatest actors, which is fine. You ask for our opinions on your list, but you don't want our opinions on your list because it's your list.
Old 10-10-07, 01:07 PM

Marlon Brando
Old 10-10-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Morgan Freeman is an actor who has that likable personality but isn’t a good actor. He plays the same lovable, huggable guy in every single film he does.
Go rent STREET SMART and then tell me Freeman can't act.
Old 10-10-07, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Not sure I understand the point of this. It's a list of your favorite actors and not the greatest actors, which is fine. You ask for our opinions on your list, but you don't want our opinions on your list because it's your list.
I never said I didn't want opinions. I listed 2 actors that I knew someone would bring up because they are widely considered favorites, I just don't like them that much. I don't see the big problem.

I just wanted opinions on OTHER actors I may not have considered, either due to an over site or just lack of familiarity on my part. Notice that other than the two actors listed in my original post, I don't shoot down anyone else's suggestions or favorites. I also already posted that I flat our missed Russel Crow and I've gone over everyone's suggestions and found good ideas.
Old 10-10-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

UAIOE: You say this and list Marky Mark but don't have Gary Oldman?
I'd have thought "Marky Mark" had been in enough films that we would be over that by now.
Never! He'll always be Marky Mark.
Old 10-10-07, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Russell Crowe is the best working actor today. As someone said above, he literally becomes every character he plays. He disappears inside his role. Absolutely incredible. He also seems to be very adept at picking his roles.
Old 10-11-07, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Go rent STREET SMART and then tell me Freeman can't act.
I don’t rent, I buy.

I will go buy Street Smart, I’ve heard about it being a pretty good film but Christopher Reeves performance pretty much got ignored.
Old 10-11-07, 03:45 PM

I realize he's been dead for damn near 14 years, but River Phoenix is one of my all-time favorites. Even in the movies that aren't very good, he still gives a compelling performance. It's a shame he isn't still around.