Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Juno -- d: Jason Reitman -- s: Ellen Page

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Juno -- d: Jason Reitman -- s: Ellen Page

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
After seeing this a 2nd time, I went from liking it to loving it. For some reason all the jokes, scenes, etc. worked better for me.
Same thing happened to me.
Old 02-07-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
That's what I've been saying for a while, the first viewing was tainted by expectation for me.
Old 02-12-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<embed src="http://www.foxsearchlight.com/juno/facebook/JUNO_394X741_MAIN/JARGON/JUNO_JARGON.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="350" height="380" name="JunoEmbed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
Old 02-13-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Until Diablo Cody picked up a pen -- as a huge fan of the US Office -- I never thought it would ever be possible to make me dislike Rainn Wilson.
Old 02-17-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Jason Reitman proves that his debut feature, Thank You for Smoking, was no fluke and that the family genes for directing are put to good use, his father being Ivan Reitman, director of the 80’s classic, Ghostbusters.
Yeah, but Ivan's genes have faltered all too often after Ghostbusters. When Jason Reitman does pregnancy comedy, you get Juno. When Ivan does, you get Junior.
Old 02-18-08, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I got in late and started from Juno telling her friend on the phone about pregnancy, what'd I miss?
Old 02-18-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grifter
Sorry, I got in late and started from Juno telling her friend on the phone about pregnancy, what'd I miss?

zombies...lots of them.
Old 02-19-08, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grifter

Just a lot of lame-assed, unnaturalistic dialogue, a little more of the oh-so hip Juno being a caustic bitch, and Rainn Wilson in a completely pointless cameo.. Oh, and of course the obligatory jerky credits signaling that the film is "indie" and quirky.
Old 02-19-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Old 02-19-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked the movie a lot. I thought Rainn Wilson was the worst part.

How can one not love a movie with the Michael and George Michael Bluthe?
Old 02-19-08, 11:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
If I've learned anything from this forum, it's that people will hate anything.
Old 02-20-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Strange...i've learned that people have opinions that are actually different from mine.
Old 02-20-08, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I saw it Monday night and I liked it. I liked the the casting of Juno's parents and although I generally can't stand Jen Garner, I liked her in this role.
Old 02-20-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I liked the movie a lot. I thought Rainn Wilson was the worst part.

How can one not love a movie with the Michael and George Michael Bluthe?
It's Bluth. Come on!
Old 02-20-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's Bluth. Come on!
I could have sworn there was an E at the end. I stand corrected.

I actually feel a little disappointed in myself...
Old 02-27-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Juno, don't get me wrong. I simply heard about this for the first time this morning:

Jenny, Juno (2005)

The entire flick is on YouTube, this is simply the first part:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CStdbG_U8yY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CStdbG_U8yY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Diablo Cody commented on this late last year, saying that she never heard of this flick until 2007 but that she's now interested in checking it out. Jenny, Juno was released the year that Cody finished the sceenplay to Juno.

http://langdonalgar.blog.com/2529107/
Old 02-27-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<embed src="http://www.foxsearchlight.com/juno/facebook/JUNO_394X741_MAIN/JARGON/JUNO_JARGON.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="350" height="380" name="JunoEmbed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I haven't seen this movie yet but after seeing that thing I know now that I won't ever see it.
Old 02-27-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brent L
I loved Juno, don't get me wrong. I simply heard about this for the first time this morning:

Jenny, Juno (2005)

The entire flick is on YouTube, this is simply the first part:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CStdbG_U8yY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CStdbG_U8yY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Diablo Cody commented on this late last year, saying that she never heard of this flick until 2007 but that she's now interested in checking it out. Jenny, Juno was released the year that Cody finished the sceenplay to Juno.

http://langdonalgar.blog.com/2529107/
You know, I watched Juno. I watched the first 10 minutes of "Jeni, Juno" right there. I read the description of JJ on IMDB to verify I wasn't making too quick of an assumption...

Other than the name "Juno" and the teenage pregnancy, it seems the narratives are pretty distinct. In fact, they seem to take very different paths just in that first 10 minutes.

Again, I'm sure there's more to it and there would be greater similarities if I actually watched all of JJ, but it doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.
Old 03-21-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Saw this again tonight. The theatre was more crowded than the showing of Horton Hears a Who I went to afterwards. Can't believe I last saw this movie four-and-a-half months ago.

I didn't get the "cleverer-than-you" tone as strongly this time around. The pop-culture references aren't as thick as I thought they were, especially in the last half of the film. They're still there, but they're not necessarily in your face.

One question I had, which will probably not get answered until the DVD/BD comes out... The 2nd(?) time Juno goes to visit Mark Loring (Jason Bateman) he's sitting at a computer reading something that looks like a blog. The screen looks like it's got Allison Janney's picture and a dog cut-out picture. Is this supposed to be Juno's blog? If so, did Mark find it himself? It would probably date the picture more (if that's even possible) to mention that Juno has a blog, but if this is what it was, I thought it was a cool subtle touch. Or evidence of something left on the cutting room floor.
Old 03-21-08, 11:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
not sure, but I think the "honest to blog" line already covered that.
Old 04-16-08, 08:57 AM
Suspended

"Juno" question - SPOILERS - That fri*$%in' chair!

Just watched this on DVD and although I liked the originality of the script, the actors' work and the refreshing de-dramatized story-telling, I have major questions about the cute framing device used in the film... that friggin' chair!!!

The film opens with Juno drinking Sunny-D and looking at a discarded chair on a lawn in the sunset in the fall and saying: "It all started with a chair".

We know this happens just before the pregnancy test in the drugstore because of the Sunny-D. The deleted scenes also reveal that the chair was discarded at one point - when? - by a loony old woman in a motorized scooter who lets Juno take it away.

We also know/guess/deduct that the child was conceived on that chair although I'll be damned if it's clear whether this is in the boy's bedroom (highly unlikely) or Juno's house/rec room (also unlikely) or even possibly, the loony woman's house (but we're not supposed to know about that woman as she has been edited out of the film).

There is a later scene where Juno asks her girlfriend to help her move the chair (at night) from an undisclosed location to another undisclosed location which may or may not be her boyfriend's front yard so she may confront him, the following morning, with her pregnancy while sitting on that chair. We know Juno is pregnant when she moves the chair because she treats herself to a giant blue Slushy that she later vomits in her stepmother's favourite urn. We have no idea how the boy or the boy's mother have reacted to finding all that furniture on their front lawn and what happened to it afterward.

In conclusion, if that chair is meant to be a cute and original framing device, it is a particularly laborious one that doesn't work for me and that had my mind going in several directions at once trying to reconstruct a chain of events that is absolutely unrelated to the subject of the film but that still bothers me to this day.

Does anybody besides the scriptwriter of this film know anything more and of interest about this friggin' chair?

Last edited by baracine; 04-16-08 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I look forward to more threads about props in movies that already have threads started about them.
Old 04-16-08, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
I look forward to more threads about props in movies that already have threads started about them.
I searched for a thread on "Juno" in "Movie Talk" and didn't find one.
Old 04-16-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by baracine
I searched for a thread on "Juno" in "Movie Talk" and didn't find one.
Maybe you were spending too much time getting hung up on the chair.
Old 04-16-08, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.