Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

if Hollywood insists on remaking old movies, why not do bad ones like THE ONION FIELD

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

if Hollywood insists on remaking old movies, why not do bad ones like THE ONION FIELD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't read the book yet (but I will soon because the story sounds interesting), but I rented the movie based on it, and boy oh boy. Terrible pacing, sub-standard acting from a young James Woods, and the dreadful John "Michael! Michael!" Savage - one of the worst actors of that era (late 70's). He was offered good roles (another was in "The Deer Hunter"), but I can't stand him.

Anyway, if Hollywood is going on a remaking spree on old movies, give The Onion Field a good working over. It needs it.
Old 10-04-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because no one has even heard of that movie??
Old 10-05-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
Because no one has even heard of that movie??
They haven't??
Old 10-05-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I never heard of the Onion Field but you bring up a good point. I can see why they would remake good classics such as Psycho. Everyone knows about it and the story is good so in an effort to rebuild the fanbase (and make money) they remake the movie.

But Hollywood is clearly out of good ideas for original movies. So why not take an old crappy movie with a promising plot and remake that? That way film enthusiasts won't be mad and if marketed right they can sell any good movie. Sounds too logical I guess.
Old 10-05-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I like movies ... a lot. Never heard of The Onion Field. I am sure there's a reason.
Old 10-05-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
I like movies ... a lot. Never heard of The Onion Field.
I like movies...a lot, too, and not only have I heard of The Onion Field, I've also seen it (one my earliest Netflix rentals)! And it's nowhere near as bad as Buttmunker describes; I found it to be a pretty solid movie, but not something worth owning.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
But Hollywood is clearly out of good ideas for original movies. So why not take an old crappy movie with a promising plot and remake that? That way film enthusiasts won't be mad and if marketed right they can sell any good movie. Sounds too logical I guess.
I also consider myself a film enthusiast, and am not remotely offended or mad at the idea of any remake, whether the original movie was "good" or "bad." Furthermore, I have yet to hear one person in any thread on any forum on the Internet reasonably explain why remakes are a bad idea.
Old 10-05-07, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
New rule... For anyone who states, "Hollywood is out of ideas"... PLEASE share yours!

I'm convinced that Hollywood is NOT out of ideas. Rather, critical internet posters are out of ideas. They can't articulate exactly why they don't like 'said movie'.

Better yet, let's just start calling movies we don't like 'dumb'. Let's just clear the board. No need for any other chitter chatter. Save me time. Let's just make one word posts.

And, yea - this post isn't directed towards anyone in this thread ... yet.
Old 10-05-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just want to say that there's been a rash of remakes lately, to the point of ad naseum, and that's what prompted me to accuse Hollywood of being out of ideas. Clearly it is an exaggeration, for new movies do premiere, but it is annoying to see good classic movies redone. Movies that are still popular in a lot of people's minds and hearts. I mean, to pick from 1979, say...would you pick Being There to remake, or would you pick The Onion Field?

"Being There" with Peter Sellers and Shirley MacLaine is still revelantly funny. "The Onion Field," as you can see from earlier posts, is mostly forgotten because it just was not a good film. I say...remake the forgotten film! Do a smash up job on it, and make it an excellent remake, so that 28 years later people still don't say they never heard of "The Onion Field." Because the true story is worth knowing about - two cops kidnapped by petty criminals, brought out to an onion field, one cop is shot and killed, the other runs for his life. The petty criminals, now not so petty, are apprehended. Yet what you would think is a cut-n-dry prosecution is not so cut-n-dry, and the surviving cop endures more than he ought to in the end.

The book was a bestseller. Filmmakers should really figure out the bestsellers that got poor film adaptions, and remake those ones.
Old 10-05-07, 10:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the concept, although sometimes remaking a flawed movie can lead to an even worse movie if the people behind the remake lack the talent to do anything with it. When a Stranger Calls and The Fog come to mind. Both originals had some good ideas but could have used improvement, yet the remakes failed to capitalize on this and simply diluted them further.
Old 10-05-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
New rule... For anyone who states, "Hollywood is out of ideas"... PLEASE share yours!

I'm convinced that Hollywood is NOT out of ideas. Rather, critical internet posters are out of ideas. They can't articulate exactly why they don't like 'said movie'.

Better yet, let's just start calling movies we don't like 'dumb'. Let's just clear the board. No need for any other chitter chatter. Save me time. Let's just make one word posts.

And, yea - this post isn't directed towards anyone in this thread ... yet.
FINE! You want an Idea; you’ve got it my friend…

Title: Lonely Actor’s

Starring
Jason Voorhees
Martin Landau
Alan Alda
&
Peter O’Toole

Synopsis: 4 ‘Out of Work’, veteran actors live in a former camp cabin, they all try to figure out what’s gone wrong with their lives as of late & contemplate whether or not they should move back to Hollywood & give it one last ‘Go’ at putting on one last performance.

Meanwhile, 3 of the actors find out that ‘the big ugly fu*k wearing the 1970’s Hockey mask’ has a dark secret.

They may not have to contemplate about going back to Hollywood; they might die before they make their decision!

*Academy Award* Winning Drama at it's best.
Old 10-05-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Have to disagree strongly...The Onion Field is a very good film and is highly rated by critics and audiences (it has a high rating over at IMDB). I highly recommend the film.

FYI: This is also the film that propelled James Woods to stardom (he is excellent).
Old 10-05-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I get the OP's point. Hollywood should be remaking sub-par films by reworking the scripts into something better than what was and presenting it to audiences. By remaking classic films they are going purely on the potential name-recognition of the film, and not necessarily trying to make a quality film. It's the same mindset as most sequels, people are going to see the brand so the film's content isn't always of paramount importance.
Old 10-05-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
"Hollywood" has been re-making movies since the '20s. Remakes are no more prevalent now than they were long ago.
Old 10-05-07, 11:50 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
1. I agree with Buttmunker, I too feel H'wood should focus on remaking bad movies of the past

2. I have heard of The Onion Field

3. I have read the book too. It was Wambaugh's breakout novel.

4. I am anoyed by people who say, "I like movies, but I've never heard of The Onion Field." Maybe you don't know movies as well as you think you do. We're not talking about some impossible to see Rosselini film here, we're talking about a film that has been a fixture of syndicated television and HBO for twenty years.
Old 10-05-07, 11:56 AM

I am a huge Wambaugh fan, and I think The Onion Field is a pretty good flick. I would much rather see them remake The Choirboys which I thought was a hysterical novel, and an awful film.

There are tons of good novels out there that were never made into movies. I think it isn't about finding good source material, but finding sure fire product that will interest moviegoers to come into theaters.
Old 10-05-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also remember The Onion Field as being a pretty good movie, but I haven't seen it since it came out so I don't know what my opinion would be today.
Old 10-06-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I am anoyed by people who say, "I like movies, but I've never heard of The Onion Field." Maybe you don't know movies as well as you think you do. We're not talking about some impossible to see Rosselini film here, we're talking about a film that has been a fixture of syndicated television and HBO for twenty years.
Liking films has little to do with the amount one has seen. No one can see every film or even know the name of them all. It just happens. No point getting annoyed over it.
Old 10-07-07, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

14. I am anoyed by people who say, "I like movies, but I've never heard of The Onion Field." Maybe you don't know movies as well as you think you do.
You have to remember this is the internet. That person is most likely fourteen years old and has been seriously into movies "since [he] was a kid."
Old 10-07-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read the book too. It was Wambaugh's breakout novel.
Uhh, it's not a novel.
Old 10-07-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Which is going to be an easier sell to the guys putting up their money? Would they prefer: "I'm remaking Star Wars, which made George Lucas a billionaire, do you want in?" or "I'm remaking a movie that flopped before, and didn't return the investors any of their money, can I have some of your money now?"
Old 10-07-07, 01:35 PM

re-making an older movie with a good premise, but a sub-par presentation is a good idea. But it is not a definite money making proposition. Ant that, ultimately is the reason studios remake movies. A classic, well known movie has a built in audience and is almost guaranteed to make money. People see these movies for all kinds of reasons. (I saw The Bad News bears remake, not because I thought it would be as good as the original, but because I just wanted to see how they pulled it off.)

In short, Hollywood studios aren't out of creative ideas. Screenwriters are cranking out thousands of new scripts yearly. It's just that creativity isn't the most important thing to the people financing movies. Generally, they have less concern for "artistic integrity" than they do for multi-million dollar opening weekends. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by gfoots; 10-07-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 02:14 PM
Banned

You have to remember, movie studios want fresh, original and daring screenplays... as long as they're played safe, been (successfully) done before and familiar to the audience.
Old 10-08-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
"I'm remaking a movie that flopped before, and didn't return the investors any of their money, can I have some of your money now?"
What movie are you referring to, because The Onion Field was a modest hit?
Old 10-08-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
Uhh, it's not a novel.
It is not?
Old 10-08-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
What movie are you referring to, because The Onion Field was a modest hit?
It may have done okay for its day, but The Onion Field has not aged well. Wooden acting, et al.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.