Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw "Bug" last night....

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw "Bug" last night....

Old 09-28-07, 10:23 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw "Bug" last night....

I thought this movie was FANTASTIC. It was not what I was expecting at all. I love "conspiracy theory-type" films. I truly believe that Shannon and Judd should have Oscar nominations for their performances -- especially the last 1/4 of the film -- I was in awe. I have always loved Ashley Judd, but her acting ability really went through the roof. She has an astounding scene near the end where she is freaking out and talking about a million miles a minute. This is acting folks. If you haven't seen it -- go check it out. With most viewers this will be one of those "you either love it or hate it". My wife HATED it -- after the film was over she said "well I will never get those 2 hours of my life back". I was like "Are you serious, this film was amazing!!"

Anyway -- Two big thumbs up from me!!

wlj
Old 09-28-07, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked it as well. I'm not sure if it's one of those I should own, but I will definitely see it again. Often times my favorite films are ones I realize I should own the second time I see them.
My criteria for what I own as opposed to rent multiple times is: Will I be sitting around and get a random wild hair up my ass to see this movie? If yes, then I should have it sitting around the house.
Old 09-28-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought this blind on Tuesday and have watched it twice. I agree Shannon and Judd are fantastic. Some of the dialogue was so over the top, especially in the last third, but Shannon's rant was especially powerful. That guy needs to be working more, he is brilliant and has a distinctive presence (He was also great in World Trade Center).
Excellent movie, but yeah a lot of people are going to hate it.

The disc also includes a great thirty minute interview with Friedkin and a pretty decent, if short, 'making of' feature.
Old 09-28-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DVD is sitting on my shelf waiting to be viewed Saturday night (Knocked Up is tonight). I have heard Ashley's performance is mind-blowing, so really looking forward to this!
Old 09-28-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented it Tuesday, and I enjoyed it too. It seemed almost Phillip K. Dickian, with the mounting paranoia and the conspiracy theories. Great performances by the two leads, they really threw themselves headfirst into their roles, even when the script went a little over the top at the end.

Spoiler:
"I am the queen mother bug!!!!" Delivering that line with a straight face should be an automatic Oscar nomination.
Old 09-28-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it a lot, but honestly I don't know if I'd want to watch it again as I found it to be sort of depressing! Ashley's performance was really great, she really seemed like a real life ranting/raving homeless person.
Old 09-28-07, 03:23 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Ashley doesn't get an oscar nomination, it will prove that the Oscars are a load of crap. Show me someone who gave a better performance.
Old 09-28-07, 04:58 PM
Banned

It was good but I dont think they gave Award-worthy performances. Judd gave the best performance I have ever seen her do (which isnt saying a whole lot i guess) and Shannon was pretty good (much better than WTC; he actually ruined that entire film for me) and it was nice to see Friedkin back to making good films.
The thing I enjoyed most is that it was one of those disturbing movies that are the ones that I truly find scary/frightening because of the ideals that are going on. Kinda like Jacobs Ladder or Angel Heart. Also it takes a while for anything out of the ordinary to happen and is one of those films that could work even without the horror elements like some of Stephen Kings stuff of From DuK til Dawn.
I do think the ending , while being the best part of the film, could have gone even further.
Old 09-28-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed this as well. Great performances from the leads.

It's interesting this thread is so positive. The theatrical release thread is all middling to negative reviews.
Old 09-29-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
I really enjoyed this as well. Great performances from the leads.

It's interesting this thread is so positive. The theatrical release thread is all middling to negative reviews.
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I just got it from Netflix and while I thought the performances were good, I didn't like the film at all. The direction was just off for me. And I enjoy most of William Friedkin's work. Ashley Judd is one of the most underated actresses right now. Like the one poster said above, she does turn in an award worthy performance here. I've never seen her better. However, she needs to pace her white trash roles. This part was almost identical to the one in "Come Early Morning". I really liked the girl who played her best friend. The one who looks like Christina Applegate. Hope to see more of her.
Old 09-29-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
I just got done watching it - I rented realier today. It's very rare that what I'm about to say ever happens to me, in fact...I don't think it's ever happened: I have no response and want to watch it again badly...maybe even in a little bit. This movie was fucked up.

Seriously, I have no idea why but I'm kinda at a loss for words and not in a good or bad way.

I have no idea what this fucking movie just did to my brain.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the Discussion with William Friedkin on the special features is excellent. What a humble down to earth guy who tells it like it is. He even mentioned that he hates some of his own movies and although he refuses to say which ones.....I'm guessing "The Ninth Configuration" is one of them

Last edited by Rival11; 09-29-07 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-29-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
He even mentioned that he hates some of his own movies and although he refuses to say which ones.....I'm guessing "The Ninth Configuration" is one of them
I agree the Friedkin piece is excellent. 'The Ninth Configuration' was actually written and directed by William Peter Blatty.
I would guess Friedkin is not too fond of 'Deal of the Century'. That was a major misfire.
Old 09-29-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I agree the Friedkin piece is excellent. 'The Ninth Configuration' was actually written and directed by William Peter Blatty.
I would guess Friedkin is not too fond of 'Deal of the Century'. That was a major misfire.
Shit, sorry about that - not sure why I messed that up.
Old 09-29-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to see it in the theater and honestly thought it was really about some sort of invading bugs from space. All I knew was that it got fantastic reviews from some horror sites, but to avoid spoilers I never read them.

I loved the movie, and because I thought it was real as well, I got caught up in the paranoia. I bought the DVD this week but haven't watched it yet because I'm working nights.
Old 09-30-07, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Is this the movie about the cockroaches that set people on fire? I didn't know Ashley Judd was in it. Have to check it out.
Old 09-30-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Is this the movie about the cockroaches that set people on fire? I didn't know Ashley Judd was in it. Have to check it out.
Old 09-30-07, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. Yes it is.
Old 09-30-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
I actually hated, hated, hated this movie. I saw it in theatres and turned to my girlfriend who was thinking the same thing. Lets get out before we puke. The acting was good though, just didn't dig the movie itself.
Old 09-30-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this the movie about the cockroaches that set people on fire?
That's the first time I've ever heard "cockroaches that set people on fire" and "award-worthy peformance" mentioned in regards to the same movie. Now I have to see this movie.
Old 09-30-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeeeeaaaaa.....no.
Old 10-01-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did watch it again and well.....I just don't know what the hell to think of this film I really don't.

Prob one of the most bizzare flicks I've ever seen....can't believe I'm saying that about what's suppose to be a semi-mainstream flick.
Old 10-02-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rival11
I did watch it again and well.....I just don't know what the hell to think of this film I really don't.

Prob one of the most bizzare flicks I've ever seen....can't believe I'm saying that about what's suppose to be a semi-mainstream flick.
Even though I wouldn't rate it as one of the best films of 2007, it's easily one of the more memorable. And I know I wasn't the only one that felt a little itchy after watching it.
Old 10-03-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this the movie about the cockroaches that set people on fire?
Now that was an effed up movie.

Spoiler:
Especially when the cockroaches are spelling out words on the wall. Is that on DVD?
Old 10-03-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
And I know I wasn't the only one that felt a little itchy after watching it.

Say....what IS that on your skin?

I seem to remember feeling a bit mind-fucked after seeing in the theater, somewhat like how I felt after seeing Memento for the first time...but for totally different reasons, obviously.
Old 10-03-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Now that was an effed up movie.

Spoiler:
Especially when the cockroaches are spelling out words on the wall. Is that on DVD?
Spoiler: