Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Spoiler:
anyone else think Dobby is the Jar Jar Binks of Harry Potter?
Old 07-03-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
There are only 2 things that bother me with those changes (if they are true)
Spoiler:
the removal of the funeral scene is a big omission IMO. The speach at the end of GOF was not as good as the one from the book, so it wouldn't be too surprising if they did this. Also, the omission of Dobby is going to make it that much more akward in the final film. "Hi Dobby. I haven't seen you for 8 years now, I will really miss you."
Spoiler:
Well, they've already filmed Dobby's fate at Shell Cottage so he is definitely in Deathly Hallows. It won't be too hard to reintroduce him. I'm sure he'll show up at Harry's birthday or something, mention the Malfoys and tell Harry if he ever needs to him to call. They would have to do that even if Dobby had been in previous films other than CoS.

As for the funeral, I always imagined that scene as like a curtain call before the final act, but supposedly the Dumbledore tribute that the faculty and students do while Harry cries in Ginny's arms is quite touching. I guess we'll find out.
Old 07-04-09, 03:30 PM
Banned

Looks like Warner Bros is trying to kill yet another actor this summer for their big July movie to get free publicity and boost grosses. You see what happens cause of people not supporting Watchmen and T4?!!!!
Yep, thats right Ron Weasley has SWINE FLU!!!!!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090704...20090704174311
Old 07-04-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE IN OMNIMAX THEATER

MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY TO PREMIERE
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE IN OMNIMAX THEATER

Movie run kicks off with four midnight showings beginning on Wednesday, July 15

The Museum of Science and Industry is excited to announce that it will play host to the newest Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the Omnimax®, Chicago’s only five-story, domed theater. The Museum is the only large-format theater in Chicago to show the film on its world premiere date, and one of only three in the nation.

To kick off the film’s run at the Museum, there will be four midnight screenings of the film, beginning at 12:01 on Wednesday, July 15 (Tuesday night), with the final screening on 12:01 on Sunday, July 19 (Saturday night). The film will also be shown multiple times daily through Sunday, Sept. 27, to coincide with the run of Harry Potter™: The Exhibition.

In this sixth film, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (Voldemort) is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds, and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead, and Hogwarts may never be the same again. (This film is rated PG and is shown in the traditional, 2-D format.)

Guests to the Museum can also get the full Harry Potter experience and purchase combination tickets for the film and the exhibit, which features costumes and artifacts from the sixth movie as well as more than 200 authentic artifacts seen throughout the film series, displayed in settings inspired by the actual movie sets. The exhibit is open from 9:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Sunday. (The last exhibit entry is at 8 p.m. every night.)

Tickets to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, day or evening, are $15 for adults and seniors and $13 for children 3-11 and can be added to any other Museum or Harry Potter: The Exhibition ticket package. There are several shows daily. The 12 p.m. show requires the purchase of general admission to the Museum. Movie concessions will also be available in the Henry Crown Space Center, adjacent to the Omnimax theater.

http://www.polishnews.com/index.php?...art&Itemid=187

-This is a much larger screen than the IMAX theater. I think this is the first non-documentary movie to play at the Omnimax. Will be a very cool experience
Old 07-05-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do people actually go see movies like this in an Omnimax? Thats such an awful idea...cant imagine paying $15 to see it like that.
Old 07-05-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Do people actually go see movies like this in an Omnimax? Thats such an awful idea...cant imagine paying $15 to see it like that.
I've seen some nature documentaries on it and it's very different than an imax screen. It feels like you're actually in the movie. But those were short 45 minute long shows. Not sure how thats gonna feel after 2 1/2 hours. I think i may

Anyways, i was watching the trailer again and noticed they put a major spoiler in it!
Spoiler:
At the end we see Harry fighting Snape. Now anyone that has seen the trailer will now know Snape is evil. It was quite a surprise when I read the book.
Old 07-06-09, 09:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ENDContra
I wouldn't - I hate hate hate domed projected IMAX movies.
Old 07-06-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 glowing reviews up at RT out of 5. It's off to a good start. I'm sure Armond is preparing to trash it.
Old 07-08-09, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Google some photos from the half blood prince premiere. You know you want to.
Old 07-08-09, 06:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 934 Likes on 782 Posts

shouldn't the title of the thread be changed?
Old 07-08-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deep_lurk
Google some photos from the half blood prince premiere. You know you want to.
OK, I bit. What was it supposed to do?
Old 07-08-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
OK, I bit. What was it supposed to do?
I imagine it was a veiled reference to Emma Watson accidently flashing her panties last night.
Old 07-09-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Tsar Chasm
Spoiler:
anyone else think Dobby is the Jar Jar Binks of Harry Potter?
In the Movies, yes. In the books, not so much.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Spoiler:
Well, they've already filmed Dobby's fate at Shell Cottage so he is definitely in Deathly Hallows. It won't be too hard to reintroduce him. I'm sure he'll show up at Harry's birthday or something, mention the Malfoys and tell Harry if he ever needs to him to call. They would have to do that even if Dobby had been in previous films other than CoS.

As for the funeral, I always imagined that scene as like a curtain call before the final act, but supposedly the Dumbledore tribute that the faculty and students do while Harry cries in Ginny's arms is quite touching. I guess we'll find out.
Spoiler:
We will see. I didn't like the GOF speech from the movie nearly as much as from the book. OOTP seemed to end very abruptly to me. I hope the ending of this movie lasts long enough for the emotional impact of the death to really sink in.
Old 07-09-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Final running time?
Old 07-09-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Final running time?
IMDB reports 153 min
Old 07-09-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07
IMDB reports 153 min

It's quite surprising since Yates made the shortest harry potter film. I was fearing he would make this one even shorter.
Old 07-09-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I imagine it was a veiled reference to Emma Watson accidently flashing her panties last night.
David Letterman showed that picture during Emma Watson's appearance on Late Show last night.
Old 07-09-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
It's quite surprising since Yates made the shortest harry potter film. I was fearing he would make this one even shorter.
A lot of the last films problems were the writer's fault, not Yates. Kloves wrote 1 - 4, skipped 5 and is back for 6. Just in time to get banned from retail... er wait, nm.
Old 07-10-09, 04:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What problems? Order of the Phoenix was the best Harry Potter film aside from Azkaban, and was exponentially better than the horrid adaptation of Goblet of Fire.
Old 07-10-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What problems? Order of the Phoenix was the best Harry Potter film aside from Azkaban, and was exponentially better than the horrid adaptation of Goblet of Fire.
I much preferred Goblet of Fire. Order of the Phoenix was perhaps my favorite book, and found the climax rushed and boring.
Old 07-10-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Only OOP was more or less the worst of the Potter flicks - it had a lot going on, but honestly gave no reason to give a damn about any of it. Azkaban kicked ass though.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-10-09 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-10-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

OOP certainly was not my favorite either. However, I should probably watch it again before 6. Personally, my favorite is still Azkaban as well - which is odd because most people I know say it was their least favorite.
Old 07-10-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Apparently everyone is forgetting how terrible the first movie is. Take a short book, cut a few scenes and slap it up on the screen. It was total fan service and I spent the entire movie wondering why they were wasting time making a movie of something I could already see in my head.

It wasn't until Azkaban that the HP movies actually started becoming interesting to watch. After all, if I wanted exactly what was on the page I would just read the books again.

I cannot wait for Half-Blood Prince - I love the look of everything I've seen.
Old 07-10-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I much preferred Goblet of Fire. Order of the Phoenix was perhaps my favorite book, and found the climax rushed and boring.
Interesting. My view is quite the opposite. I consider Goblet of Fire the worst of the movies because the book — my favorite of the series — was abridged out of all recognition. Some friends, who hadn't read the later books, were confused by it and didn't care for it either. GoF should have been made into two movies, as they reportedly are doing for book seven.

Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite of the books — the angry Harry stuff got tedious — but became my favorite of the movies, thus far. In the case of that movie, the abridging of the book helped it and I also liked that the visuals and audio were first rate. The
Spoiler:
wizard duels and the fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore
makes for great high def home theater material.

I also found that
Spoiler:
the death of Sirius, Harry's reaction, and the insane evilness of Bellatrix Lestrange (the wonderful Helena Bonham Carter)
worked very well for me. And the casting and performance of Luna Lovegood (newcomer Evanna Lynch) was pitch perfect. I also really enjoyed
Spoiler:
Fred's and George's showy farewell to Hogwarts.

For me, there just wasn't anything I didn't like about the movie.

The trailers make Half-Blood Prince look as if might be as good as Order of the Phoenix. It has become my most anticipated movie of the Summer. I guess I'll find out soon.
Old 07-10-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Agreed, that's my order too!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.