Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE: -July 15, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy they had playing Mr. Dursley would have been a PERFECT Slughorn, in my opinion.
Old 09-18-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know, he makes a perfect Mr Dursley, and Slughorn is quite different. For some reason I heard Ron Falk's (as Dexter Jettster's from AOTC) when Slughorn spoke. I think he'd be good.

Jim Broadbent seems like a good choice, though.
Old 09-18-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HBP is the best HP book. The last few chapters are the high point of the entire series, IMO. Also, it's relatively concise, linear and will translate more easily to a 2.5 hour movie than most of the books. What the hell are they talking about?
Old 09-18-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
I don't know, he makes a perfect Mr Dursley, and Slughorn is quite different.
He makes a good Vernon in my opinion, but even while he is being cruel to Harry he still seems to have a very jovial presence to him, a trait that I definitely attribute a great deal to Slughorn.
Old 09-18-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
HBP is the best HP book. The last few chapters are the high point of the entire series, IMO. Also, it's relatively concise, linear and will translate more easily to a 2.5 hour movie than most of the books. What the hell are they talking about?
I agree. The previous books had basically a single main plot and a lot of side stories, many of which were filler to flesh out the whole school year. The side stories don't translate well to film most of the time, except for fans of the books who want to see particular scenes played out. They flesh out the story but often disrupt the pacing and are distracting in the films.

With HBP they have two full subplots to concentrate on, Malfoy's story and Dumbledore/Harry's lessons. If given proper attention, together they can fill a decent runtime and come together very nicely at the end.

It also, perhaps intentionally, has a similar structure to Empire Strikes Back. Not just in the fact that it sets up the final installment but in a lot of the story points and themes. I'm not predicting the film will turn out like ESB, but the book has that potential.
Old 09-18-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
I agree. The previous books had basically a single main plot and a lot of side stories, many of which were filler to flesh out the whole school year. The side stories don't translate well to film most of the time, except for fans of the books who want to see particular scenes played out. They flesh out the story but often disrupt the pacing and are distracting in the films.

With HBP they have two full subplots to concentrate on, Malfoy's story and Dumbledore/Harry's lessons. If given proper attention, together they can fill a decent runtime and come together very nicely at the end.

It also, perhaps intentionally, has a similar structure to Empire Strikes Back. Not just in the fact that it sets up the final installment but in a lot of the story points and themes. I'm not predicting the film will turn out like ESB, but the book has that potential.
Not to mention the third major storyline/plot of Harry falling in love with
Spoiler:
Ginny
Old 05-24-08, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess shooting for the film is done but some bad news with regards to a cast member today.

Teen actor in upcoming 'Harry Potter' film killed

LONDON - A British teenage actor playing a minor role in the upcoming "Harry Potter" film was stabbed to death during a brawl in London on Saturday, police said.
ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Knox, 18, was stabbed after he got caught up in a fight outside a bar in southwest London early Saturday, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Knox plays Ravenclaw student Marcus Belby in the upcoming film "Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince," the sixth installment of the popular series set for release in November.

Warner Bros., the studio that is producing the film, said it was shocked by the news.

Knox was one of five young men taken to various hospitals after the brawl, police said. Among them was a 21-year-old who has since been arrested on suspicion of murder.

The fight did not appear to be gang-related, police added, but it puts the number of violent teenage deaths in London at 14 so far this year.
Old 05-24-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
That's shitty.
Old 06-09-08, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I know I asked this back in post #6, but has there been any new news if Warner's is releasing this in IMAX - the trailer for Madagascar 2 suggested that the IMAX of that film would be to close to Half Blood Prince's release - but, since IMAX digital will be partially in swing - will two IMAX releases that close together be actually possible?

Last edited by Giles; 06-09-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be very surprised if it's NOT in Imax. They might not go day and date with Imax though...they might tier the release if they have to, but I'd be kind of pissed off if HP gets no Imax because of Madagascar. Right now M2 is scheduled for nov 7 with HP on Nov 21... fairly close...although in this market of movies sinking like a stone, maybe 2 weeks is long enough for them to rake in the cash to justify doing both.... we should hear something soon either way I'd imagine.
Old 06-14-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm also inclined to agree with this. Admittedly, I haven't read it in a few years, but two I recall reading, especially then ending at Hogwarts, thinking so much was going on and how cool it was going to look on screen. Not to mention how fast paced the entire sequence is.

In fact, in contrast to book 7 where,
Spoiler:
the battle takes place. That entire sequence felt slower, in part like she was trying to continue to build the momentum, but in the end it fell flat.
Old 06-14-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The sixth is the least interesting?! Apparently somebody didn't read Chamber of Secrets or Order of the Phoenix.

No kidding. I loved Half Blood Prince. It added a lot to the back story and as a person who would go gay for alan rickman, I can't see how he wont get a huge role in the film.
Old 06-14-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Emma Watson’s First Sex Scene Will be in Next Harry Potter Movie

HOGWARTS CASTLE, ENGLAND – In a move that will certainly infuriate many Harry Potter purists, producers for the new Harry Potter movie are, for the first time, dramatically departing from the script put forth by J.K. Rowling in her books, by adding in a steamy, Lolita-style sex scene starring Hermione, played by Emma Watson.

“We just thought, these books are all sort of the same,” said one of the film’s producers, Jon Dempsey. “So we are going to spice this one up a bit, and see if we can fire up a little interest. We looked at all the characters, and we decided that the one that is the hottest is Emma, so we decided that Hermione should maybe get a little action in the next movie. And that’s what we’re going to do.”

The producers apparently debated long and hard as to whether Hermione should hook up with Ron Weasley, as expected, or even Harry Potter, played by Daniel Radcliffe. However, after much debate, they decided that the most compelling course of events would be to have her and Dumbledore engage in a little romantic tussle.

“Yeah, some people are going to object to a centuries-old wizard engaging in a sexual encounter with a junior high school student. But those muggles are freaking lame. I mean, it’s the year 2008—if you can’t handle a little bit of cloak-knocking and wand-rocking, then you need to lighten up.”

Many associated with the film thought that filming the scene would present some challenges, but it turns out that it was able to be canned with just one take.

“The scene is hot,” said one producer, who asked to remain nameless. “Let’s just say this. Emma Watson is one fine young lady. And so when ol’ Dumbledore was in her presence, he was obviously very aroused. And so it made for some great cinema. Wingardium leviosa. You know what I mean?”

http://www.seriouscelebritynewsnetwo...ter-movie.html

This is certainly going to piss off the fans. I really wanted to see Hermoine get it on with ginny not that old fart dumbledore
Old 06-14-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Erectus Totalis! Good for Dumbledore, though I imagine his wand is pretty useless. Also makes sense in the wizarding world that it would be the hot female student with the fugly male teacher, because it's reverse for us Muggles.
Old 06-14-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,030 Likes on 633 Posts

I think it should have been Hermione and Hagrid. You KNOW he's been wanting to tap that ass!
Old 07-04-08, 05:20 PM

Received 811 Likes on 527 Posts
Has there been any talk of when we are going to get a trailer for this film?

I thought it was going to be attached to "Get Smart"... but I guess the next logical choice would be "The Dark Night."
Old 07-04-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Has there been any talk of when we are going to get a trailer for this film?
We've already seen new official pictures for Half-Blood Prince in several places within the past few days. That tells me the possibility of a "teaser" trailer for the movie could be shown before The Dark Knight, which makes lots of sense since 1) Warner Brothers will release both movies and 2) they get maximum PR for the new Harry Potter movie.
Old 07-08-08, 02:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so wait... the next film according to: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE: AN IMAX 3D EXPERIENCE is stating the film is 3D - is that select scenes or the entire film ???
Old 07-25-08, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Warner Brothers just confirmed that they will release teaser trailer for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince over satellite broadcast from this PR release:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...99&newsLang=en

Expect the trailer to show up on Apple's Quicktime web site and other online video sites shortly after.
Old 07-25-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
so wait... the next film according to: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE: AN IMAX 3D EXPERIENCE is stating the film is 3D - is that select scenes or the entire film ???
the 15 second IMAX teaser said 'With Select Scenes in IMAX 3D'... so along the same lines as the last Potter pic - probably 10-15min of IMAX 3D.
Old 07-29-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBGbKCm_pQQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBGbKCm_pQQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-29-08, 07:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
not a huge harry potter fan but i watched order of the phoenix for the first time last week and it was phenomenal.

can't wait for this.
Old 07-29-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now THAT'S a fantastic trailer for this story.

IMO, the least "actiony" of the books what with all the story and flashbacks and setting up the grand finale. I'm so glad they aren't highlighting the few frantic parts but just the overall feeling.
Old 07-29-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love the trailer! The Vold story is great. If anyone finds a link for some 1080p hi-res or something, I'd love that.
Old 07-29-08, 08:26 PM

Here's the hi-def link:
http://www.moviefone.com/movie/harry...nce/27063/main

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.