Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Mist (Dir. by Frank Darabont) -- Jane, Braugher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Mist (Dir. by Frank Darabont) -- Jane, Braugher

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm too psyched for this. I've already watched the trailer three times. When's this due out?
Old 09-02-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a HUGE Stephen King fan who usually HATES his movie adaptations (just refer to any thread arguing about Kubrick's take on the Shining and you'll find me there). I honestly can't think of a single horror adaptation of his that has been done well (I might concede that with the adequately made Misery, if you consider it horror).

Strangely, his non-horror books and stories have really fared well. Stand By Me, Shawshank, and Green Mile were arguably as good as the books in ways. In fact, I may be committing blasphemy but I might go as far as saying The Green Mile movie was better in ways than the book (I thought certain issues were handled more elegantly than in the book, but that may be due to its serialized nature).

It may have something to due with the fact that King creates incredible characters that translate well to film but what is truly horrific and scary about his stories genuinely can't be translated onto the screen.

The Mist is definitely one of his (IMHO) most easily "cinematic" stories. More of a novella than a story, not much will have to be cut or added. I only hope they don't tinker with it too much and hopefully keep the almost Lovecraftian theme (especially in the ending).
Spoiler:
the fact that some of the creatures in the mist were impossibly big, dwarfing even the biggest dinosaurs, is something that has stuck with me after all of these years.
Old 09-02-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
Let me guess, 3 hours of character development, 5 minutes to kill ALL the monsters, then a half hour to reunite all characters with their loved ones then end with a view of the sun setting?

Sorry to sound like an ass and I do LOVE Stephen King (The only books I read are by King and yes, I can honestly say I wouldn't read anything if he wasn't around) but that's usually how his films turn out.
I know I agree with you on these points. Every few months I'll get on a King kick and I will buy a few DVDs out of the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. Each time I get my hopes up and each time I feel like I wasted numerous hours. But I also keep coming back for more. It is fantastic if you can forget the very end. So many film adaptations just fall short but do have some great moments.

What I should just do with all remaining movies based on King novels is what I do when I watch A.I.. I watch the first 3/4 of A.I. and then just turn it off. It's a far better film that way to me and it would probably help films like Desperation, Rose Red and Storm of the Century....to name just a few.

With all that said the cast and a decent trailer just made me very curious about this film.
Old 09-02-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I know I agree with you on these points. Every few months I'll get on a King kick and I will buy a few DVDs out of the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. Each time I get my hopes up and each time I feel like I wasted numerous hours. But I also keep coming back for more. It is fantastic if you can forget the very end. So many film adaptations just fall short but do have some great moments.

What I should just do with all remaining movies based on King novels is what I do when I watch A.I.. I watch the first 3/4 of A.I. and then just turn it off. It's a far better film that way to me and it would probably help films like Desperation, Rose Red and Storm of the Century....to name just a few.

With all that said the cast and a decent trailer just made me very curious about this film.
Well said actually. I really loved how Storm of the Century kicked off but then was let down as a whole but it did have a different feel to it.

Rose Red a dug A LOT - very cool but the shoddy CGI and some horrible acting kinda killed this one for me as well.

Desperation - loved this one up until about 3/4's of the way through.

I guess I'm in the same exact boat as you are as I ALWAYS come back for more as well.....kinda funny now that I think about it.
Old 09-03-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of the short story, but the trailer definitely didn't have me interested. Guess I'll have to see what the reviews are like, since everyone seems to have liked the book.

= J
Old 09-03-07, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I wore my tape out because I listened to it every day before bed.
Same here
Old 10-23-07, 03:51 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
A new trailer is out:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=723&item=4

Looks pretty damn sweet!
Old 10-23-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, the new trailer worries me a bit. If I remember correctly (and it's possible that I don't since I haven't read/listened to the story in quite a few years), the primary reason it's so scary is because no one in the story has any idea where the mist came from, or what the things in it really are, and the characters are completely cut off from any outside contact that would allow them to find out anything about it. It looks like they're going to try to explain it in the movie by using the standard horror film military guy who shows up talking about government experiments with doors to other dimensions. Bah!
Old 10-23-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the book, if I remember right, there was a military guy in the market who speculated on that theory.
Old 10-23-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Hmm, the new trailer worries me a bit. If I remember correctly (and it's possible that I don't since I haven't read/listened to the story in quite a few years), the primary reason it's so scary is because no one in the story has any idea where the mist came from, or what the things in it really are, and the characters are completely cut off from any outside contact that would allow them to find out anything about it. It looks like they're going to try to explain it in the movie by using the standard horror film military guy who shows up talking about government experiments with doors to other dimensions. Bah!
I just finished reading it a few days ago. Both trailers make it seem that Darabont is staying true to the story.

In the story there was talk of "experiments with doors to other dimensions." It was between David Drayton (main character) and Ollie, IIRC. The story references a military compound to the north of the town where it is known they do some experimenting. Drayton proposes the "other dimension" theory to Ollie.

There were a couple military personnel stuck in the grocery store as well, but were not the source of the dialog in question.

Personally, I can't wait to see the storm at the beginning. That should be fucking incredible on the big screen.

I trust Darabont, but there is one thing that has me scratching my head. IMDB has a couple of characters labeled as
Spoiler:
Hazmat worker & Bio-Hazard Engineer,
neither of which are in the book. It sounds like he is tacking on his own ending like Shawshank. Disappointing since I liked the ambiguous ending of the book. This makes it sound like there will be plenty of closure.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-23-07 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
In the story there was talk of "experiments with doors to other dimensions." It was between David Drayton (main character) and Ollie, IIRC. The story references a military compound to the north of the town where it is known they do some experimenting. Drayton proposes the "other dimension" theory to Ollie.

There were a couple military personnel stuck in the grocery store as well, but were not the source of the dialog in question.
I trust Darabont, but there is one thing that has me scratching my head. IMDB has a couple of characters labeled as
Spoiler:
Hazmat worker & Bio-Hazard Engineer,
neither of which are in the book. It sounds like he is tacking on his own ending like Shawshank. Disappointing since I liked the ambiguous ending of the book. This makes it sound like there will be plenty of closure.
The two military guys were not directly the source of the conversation about
Spoiler:
The Arrowhead Project
, but they are part of the cause and effect of it. In the book,
Spoiler:
the two military guys hang themselves to escape from the horror they know all too much about
, so seeing that army fellow talking about it in the new trailer would support a new ending, and obviously obliterates that sequence I spoiled above. So this completely changes the story and allows for a new ending with closure.
I'll wait for the dvd as usual.
Old 10-24-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're making an assumption guys. I don't see how that leads to a drastic change in the ending. If you look in the trailer there is that shot of
Spoiler:
them in the highway in the mist looking up at a something big,which was right at the end of the story. Now they may go seek out the arrowhead project, but that doesn't mean the ending won't be just as ambiguous. It doesn't look like he gets his wife, and I'm sure those soldiers die because they aren't in that shot. I doubt there will be an ending where they fix everything, and because that can't happen it'll still be depressing.
Old 10-24-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The trailer looked good up until the CGI monsters appeared. I think not knowing what is really out there is much better than knowing in stories like this, but it certainly isn't King's M.O.

I remember investing a couple of days in The Langoliers miniseries, only to be severely disappointed when we actually saw the monsters. Total let down.
Old 11-06-07, 07:32 PM

A third trailer is now out: http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=17911
Old 11-06-07, 07:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I hear it's just the townspeople dressed up as monsters. Whoops, wrong movie.
Old 11-06-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The siren going off as the fog approaches immediatly reminded me of Silent Hill. Trailers look ok but like others have said the CG bugs/monsters look corny.
Old 11-09-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
I am mildly looking forward to watching this. The trailer gives away way too much plot for those interested parties that do not already know the story (so what else is new?).

This is a pretty easy adaptation as far as King works go. Now if they will just adapt The Long Walk...
Old 11-10-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're in luck.
Old 11-10-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw the trailer for this on TV and it looks awesome. I’ll definitely be buying it when it comes to DVD; don’t go to theatres anymore. Plus I’ll go see anything with the underrated Andre Braugher (Homicide: Life on the Street) in it.

Stephen King movie adaptations are hit or miss. Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining is a great film, but a poor Stephen King adaptation. I’ve actually enjoyed most of the movie adaptations of King’s work. Stuff like Carrie, Creepshow & the underrated Creepshow 2 (which is better than the first IMO.) and the underrated Graveyard Shift are some of my favorites.

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are the two films that are actually better than King’s novel IMO.
Old 11-10-07, 12:02 PM

I thought the film was so-so, my gf thought it was absolutely abysmal. The very beginning where the mist first hits is incredibly suspenseful and really sets the bar kind of high, but then the script takes a nosedive. Characters act unbelievably, terrible dialogue, bad CGI, audience forms no emotional connections with anyone, Tom Jane is stilted as usual, etc. People were laughing throughout the film, in all the wrong spots, so it was fun in that regard. Would make a great Mystery Science Theater episode. I'd give it a D+/C-.

Last edited by BJacks; 11-10-07 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-10-07, 12:18 PM

Where did you see it?
Old 11-10-07, 01:48 PM

Private screening.
Old 11-10-07, 02:06 PM

Were you a fan of the short story before seeing the movie?
Old 11-10-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nateman241
I saw the trailer for this on TV and it looks awesome. I’ll definitely be buying it when it comes to DVD; don’t go to theatres anymore. Plus I’ll go see anything with the underrated Andre Braugher (Homicide: Life on the Street) in it.

Stephen King movie adaptations are hit or miss. Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining is a great film, but a poor Stephen King adaptation. I’ve actually enjoyed most of the movie adaptations of King’s work. Stuff like Carrie, Creepshow & the underrated Creepshow 2 (which is better than the first IMO.) and the underrated Graveyard Shift are some of my favorites.

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are the two films that are actually better than King’s novel IMO.
Amazing, I agree with EVERY single point made in this post. From the first sentence to the last. Are you my long lost brother?
Old 11-12-07, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Were you a fan of the short story before seeing the movie?
Never read it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.