Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Nanny Diaries

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Nanny Diaries

Scarlett Johansson takes on the role of the unlikely nanny in "The Nanny Diaries", playing Annie, a recent college grad who doesn't really know what to do with her life and flakes on her job interview (don't these people interview before they graduate from college?). In a quick series of unintended circumstances, Annie becomes a nanny to a young boy who has a rich and unattentive father, and a mother with control issue and lacks a mothering instinct.

Laura Linney plays the mother, and I think the reason why this film isn't all that watchable is because the character of the mother is simply too strident of a character, tough to accept her mothering deficiencies on display in the film, and Annie has to adjust quickly to all of the deficiencies in order to keep the nanny job, a job she's all at once over-qualified and under-qualified for such responsibilities.

So, in the end, the film failed to engage me on a higher level, but it does have a bittersweet ending in some ways that doesn't necessarily ring false, but doesn't impress, either.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Last edited by Patman; 08-27-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-27-07, 09:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought Linney was great, but the film on the whole - meh! It started out fine, but kind of got stuck on auto pilot - Giamatti's usual great acting was wasted on a trivial character.

I thought the movie was kind of meanspirited. I'd give it a C as well.
Old 08-27-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was surprisingly good. Everyone involved was great and I enjoyed watching it. Linney is good but Scarlett still gets me every time. She is so good and even if she doesn't go method for every role - she's still my favorite young actress.

Not an Oscar movie but like the DVD Talk review said: frothy fun. Has a lot of heart to it as well.
Old 08-27-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by it... Good Sunday afternoon time waster. And for any reason to see SJ bent over in her undies

I think one of the reason's I liked it as much as I did is because I know people exactly like Linney's character (although they all seem to be in Brooklyn Heights and not the Upper East Side).