DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   horror movie recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/509942-horror-movie-recommendations.html)

chino77 08-23-07 01:14 PM

horror movie recommendations

im not a huge horror movie fan but my girlfriend likes scary movies. the only kind i like are...for the lack of a better word "realistic". i dont really like monster or ghost or demon movies. i like ones where the killers are actual people like "wrong turn", "texas chainsaw massacre", "house of a thousand corpses" "halloween". so based on that can someone recommend some good ones for me? movies from the last 10 years would be prefered but older is ok.

JMLEWIS1 08-23-07 03:21 PM

I would suggest Session 9, any Saw movie (though I imagine you have seen those), cabin fever (nothing supernatural really, just a disease), Psycho (if you haven't seen it, you must, it's a classic), The Shining (a little supernatural, but also a classic)

Giggles 08-23-07 03:31 PM

Wolf Creek
Calvaire (The Ordeal)
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hole (rather thriller than horror, but pretty intense)
The Descent
The Devil's Rejects

xfilefanfreak 08-23-07 04:08 PM

stay away from wolf creek and devils rejects i dont care they were BADDDDDD.

Yavin 08-23-07 04:19 PM

High Tension
May
Toolbox Murders (2004)

Mosskeeto 08-23-07 04:45 PM

Silence of the Lambs
The Ring (or Ringu if you don't mind subtiles)

chris_sc77 08-23-07 04:57 PM

Angel Heart
Audition
Jacob's Ladder

TGM 08-23-07 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by xfilefanfreak
stay away from wolf creek and devils rejects i dont care they were BADDDDDD.

disagree on Wolf Creek... thought it was good.

Turistas was OK...

Stay away from "REST STOP"!!!!!!!!!!

Rival11 08-23-07 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Giggles
Wolf Creek
Calvaire (The Ordeal)
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hole (rather thriller than horror, but pretty intense)
The Descent
The Devil's Rejects

Calvaire (The Ordeal) was really fucked up but a damn good movie.

I would recommend The Descent as well - really good film that actually gets better everytime you see it.

Chad 08-23-07 05:06 PM

Off the top of my head...

The Janitor - Great low budget B-movie horror/comedy slasher

Not within the last 10 years:

Eyes Without A Face
Maniac ('80)
Popcorn - Ultra cheesy but enjoyable nonetheless.
Argento's Opera
The Wicker Man (Original!)
Rabid

And these two threads have quite a few good recommendations:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=306639

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=469586

RichC2 08-23-07 05:21 PM

Devil's Rejects was a good movie, but it wasn't a horror flick so much as just a thriller/drama with psychos as the 'erm good guys.

The original Wicker Man was a great flick. I also really enjoyed The Descent.

The Ring was good as well (one of the few remakes I prefer over the original).

SmartisSexy 08-23-07 05:23 PM

The Abandoned (2007)

chino77 08-23-07 05:46 PM

thanks everyone keep em coming. ive heard of some but others i havent. i will have to read up on them. oh and i think im one of the few people who liked house of a thousand corpses but not devils rejects. i really liked the end but the rest bored me. also i should add that im not a fan of any kind of people having visions or seeing dead people or crap like that. i should have said in my original post that i like more of a lost in the woods/broken down car/home alone and crazy guy terrorizes the main characters type of movie.

The Bus 08-23-07 05:51 PM

chino77:

The Hills Have Eyes
Last House on the Left

islandclaws 08-23-07 05:56 PM

Check out as many Italian <i>gialli</i> as possible. They almost all feature a psychopaths and usualy aren't very supernatural.

Some off the top of my head:

The Bird with Crystal Plumage
Deep Red
Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Torso
What Have you Done to Solange?
Blood and Black Lace

DarthVong 08-23-07 07:32 PM

The Burning
Pieces
Magic
My Bloody Valentine
Happy Birthday to Me
Night School
American Psycho
Terror Train
HalloweeN (original)
Alone in the Dark (1982)

Jam Master Jay 08-23-07 07:45 PM

The Hills Have Eyes
The Descent
High Tension

EdTheRipper 08-23-07 07:55 PM

Alone in the Dark(1982)
My Little Eye
May
Frailty
Session 9
The Descent
High Tension
Stagefright

True_Story1011 08-23-07 09:57 PM

I would have to agree with a couple of people above about 'Wolf Creek', I liked how it started out and the character development. But it got real ridiculous towards the third quarter of the film.

If you are going to see it, just dont go in with high expectations.

Check out some creepy movies like :

Session 9
Fraility
High Tension
The Descent
Zodiac
Clownhouse
Mr. Brooks
May
Misery

And if worse comes to worst -

Check out real life pschos in these films

Ted Bundy
Dahmer
Ed Gein
Gacy
The Hillside Strangler

They are all well acted and pretty accurate portrails of these real life serial murders

CreatureX 08-23-07 10:15 PM

'The Descent'

Even though it doesn't fit your criteria, you and your GF will love it! :D

nateman 08-24-07 09:31 AM

I know it’s already been mentioned but I highly recommend that you check out American Psycho, it’s absolutely brilliant.

Check out…
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original, 03' remake if you think Jessica Beil is hot)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: 2 (it’s really fu*ked up but it’s just fun & over the top)
& basically any horror/thriller that is considered a ‘classic’, the Saw films (1, 2 & 3) are excellent as well but it might not fit your criteria.

xfilefanfreak 08-24-07 09:43 AM

I recommend any of the 8 FILMS TO DIE FOR

chino77 08-27-07 01:27 AM

well i watched hills have eyes. it was the new one though. it was really good. didnt scare me or creep me out though. to me the best scene was the very beginning...it was brutal! i liked it alot though.
i need some creepy shit like texas chainsaw massacre and halloween.

i have the descent to watch next. so many recomendations so little time.
mr brooks was also recomended...i have that already...havent watched it yet.

JMcCraw 08-27-07 02:24 PM

Check out "Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon" - it's kind of a deconstruction of the slasher genre.

GoldenJCJ 08-28-07 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
thanks everyone keep em coming. ive heard of some but others i havent. i will have to read up on them. oh and i think im one of the few people who liked house of a thousand corpses but not devils rejects. i really liked the end but the rest bored me. also i should add that im not a fan of any kind of people having visions or seeing dead people or crap like that. i should have said in my original post that i like more of a lost in the woods/broken down car/home alone and crazy guy terrorizes the main characters type of movie.

I just watched Vacancy the other night and thought it was really good. It'd fit your criteria above.

I'd also add Joy Ride with Paul Walker and Steve Zahn. Like Vacancy but with more humor. Also very good in my opinion.