Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Knocked Up vs. Superbad

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which movie do you like better, Knocked Up or Superbad
Knocked Up
42.03%
Superbad
57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Knocked Up vs. Superbad

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocked Up vs. Superbad

Personally I liked Superbad more but both are pretty great.
Old 08-17-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

both are great but Knocked up I liked a little more, both are fantastic flicks though
Old 08-17-07, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Superbad by a country mile.
Old 08-17-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miami Vice
Old 08-17-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Miami Vice
Miami Vice is not an option. I still consider it to be an awful movie, but if you like it, please leave this thread and discuss it elsewhere, thanks.
Old 08-17-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of the two options, I think Happy Gilmore was the clear cut winner. I mean, really. It had Adam Sandler in the roles we want to see him in. None of this Chuck and Larry sub crap or even that serious stuff like Punch Drunk Love. Happy Gilmore had him in the best possible role ever.. as Adam Sandler in perfect form!

Really, Knocked up and Superbad are rather different films. While they are still made by the same core group comparing the two is a bit odd since one is a romantic comedy that is more for couples and is geared towards women and the other is a teen type of comedy geared towards males.

Not to mention that this isn't really the most discussion heavy topic. It will produce one word answers and so Miami Vice is just as good as an answer to this question as anything else is. You might as well start a thread in other asking "Pizza or Hamburger?" They are both different beast and the consumers will have different options when eating them.

Oh yeah. I guess I should give my answer.. I say Superbad. Simply because it had that raw edge that Jude seems to often not toss into it as he likes to make it a soft ending. Were as Seth seemed to just write it till it was a bloody stump in the ground.. Oooh yeah! PAAAANAMA!

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-17-07 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Superbad for me since I have never been married or had a kid so it resonates more with me.
Old 08-17-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Out of the two options, I think Happy Gilmore was the clear cut winner. I mean, really. It had Adam Sandler in the roles we want to see him in. None of this Chuck and Larry sub crap or even that serious stuff like Magnolia. Happy Gilmore had him in the best possible role ever.. as Adam Sandler in perfect form!
Sandler isn't in Magnolia. Get your facts straight next time you try to insult someone buddy. By the way, I love Magnolia.
Old 08-17-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My bad, Punch drunk love.

Got my P.T. Anderson films confused.

Either way, Seth Rogen needs to get back to films that made him famous.. Like Donnie Darko!

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-17-07 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Miami Vice

Then Knocked Up.
Old 08-17-07, 09:46 PM

Superbad, easily...

then Miami Vice
Old 08-17-07, 11:21 PM

Miami Vice fucking OWNS...but Superbad takes it...then, in third place, i would have to go with: The Wicker Man (Remake), it has some of the finest acting on screen to date. How does it burn?
Old 08-17-07, 11:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Knocked up was more polished and had a better story but Superbad was easily funnier.
Old 08-18-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

miami vice by a boat size...... then superbad
Old 08-18-07, 12:42 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Superbad was unnecessarily foul mouthed. I don't want to see 17 year olds talk like Howard Stern. And it was a complete teenage boy's fantasy that had little grip on reality. Knocked up was the work of a more seasoned filmmaker.
Old 08-18-07, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by g
Superbad was unnecessarily foul mouthed. I don't want to see 17 year olds talk like Howard Stern. And it was a complete teenage boy's fantasy that had little grip on reality.
That's what I liked about the movie the most; I loved all of the foul-mouthed shit. I thought it was all funny as hell.
Old 08-18-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by g
Superbad was unnecessarily foul mouthed. I don't want to see 17 year olds talk like Howard Stern. And it was a complete teenage boy's fantasy that had little grip on reality. Knocked up was the work of a more seasoned filmmaker.

Isn't that how 17 year olds talk? And yes, I really want more reality in my films.. you know, it should in no way be some sort of medium to escape to an unrealistic place.

It may be a little bit of a cliche ending, but it works.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-18-07 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-18-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My bad, Punch drunk love.

Got my P.T. Anderson films confused.

Either way, Seth Rogen needs to get back to films that made him famous.. Like Donnie Darko!
I hope a mod bans you for intentionally trying to piss me off. Seth Rogen IS making the movies that are making him famous RIGHT NOW. There's no other kinds of films for him to get back to. He's in the prime of his career, making the best comedies hollywood has to offer. If Jim Carrey was still making comedies on the calibur of Ace Ventura and The Cable Guy, I would be saying the same thing.
Old 08-18-07, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I hope a mod bans you for intentionally trying to piss me off. Seth Rogen IS making the movies that are making him famous RIGHT NOW. There's no other kinds of films for him to get back to. He's in the prime of his career, making the best comedies hollywood has to offer. If Jim Carrey was still making comedies on the calibur of Ace Ventura and The Cable Guy, I would be saying the same thing.
That's pretty harsh, banning someone for having an opinion that differs from your own. I'm pretty sure Jack was kidding anyway.
Old 08-18-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think someone could get banned for posting their opinion and especially when no personal attacks are going on. Get your facts straight next time you try to get someone banned.

By the way, Jim Carrey isn't the subject of discussion in this thread. I'm not sure why you brought him up anyway. I still consider him to be an over the top terrible actor, but if you like him, please leave this thread and discuss him elsewhere, thanks. Now back to Miami Vice.

Old 08-18-07, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think someone could get banned for posting their opinion and especially when no personal attacks are going on. Get your facts straight next time you try to get someone banned.

By the way, Jim Carrey isn't the subject of discussion in this thread. I'm not sure why you brought him up anyway. I still consider him to be an over the top terrible actor, but if you like him, please leave this thread and discuss him elsewhere, thanks. Now back to Miami Vice.

Jaimie Foxx or Jonah Hill?
Old 08-18-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g
Superbad was unnecessarily foul mouthed. I don't want to see 17 year olds talk like Howard Stern.
It is real life, maybe taken a bit to the extreme, but it is the way kids (and a lot of adults) talk nowadays.
Old 08-18-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Miami Vice is not an option. I still consider it to be an awful movie, but if you like it, please leave this thread and discuss it elsewhere, thanks.

It is going to be OK.
Old 08-18-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't even think that it is taken to the extreme...that's how me and my friends talked through high school and university - of course, now that a bunch of them got married etc. I'm the only one who still goes full tilt with the cussing, those pussies aren't allowed to fucking swear anymore because their wifes will beat them like the little bitches they have become.

I'm torn between Knocked Up and Superbad. I think Superbad is more consistently funny, but I think Knocked Up was a better 'movie'. My only complaint with Superbad is that the ending doesn't feel right and part of the middle could have been tightened - where Knocked Up sags, it does so because it shifts gears into drama, intentionally.

I love both. I'm going to see Superbad again tonight, so if it gets better on repeat viewings, it'll get my vote because Michael Cera is too awesome. (Knocked Up was still hilarious the third time I saw it)
Old 08-18-07, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by g
Talk about Social Commentary!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.