Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: The Hobbit

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I dunno, man. I hear those appendices added a lot to that world. Never read the books to know either way.
Considering the entire character of Arwen was only in the appendices, there is quite a lot there. It's usually printed with The Return of the King and takes up a good portion of the text.
Old 11-24-12, 09:46 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Not buying it. They're really stretching if these are going to be three hours each.
Isn't this the sort of thing that a lot of book-to-film fans clamor for, though? The complete story with as much from the book as possible? People were freaking out there wasn't any Tom Bombadil in the LOTR even at 12 hours or so in the extended cut.

I dunno. The length simply doesn't concern me so long as the story is compelling and coherent. If it's riddled with nods to the OT simply for the sake of nods to the OT, I probably would be irritated (a few things in the Star Wars PT nodding to the OT felt exactly like that).
Old 11-24-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I love the Lord of the Rings movies so much. I want everything filmed. I want to sit in the theater for 30 hours and watch everything.
Old 11-25-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I welcome lighthearted stuff. I think it would be cool if we got a scene that pays homage to the one below from Time Bandits.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GUxS4aczxIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-25-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Isn't this the sort of thing that a lot of book-to-film fans clamor for, though? The complete story with as much from the book as possible? People were freaking out there wasn't any Tom Bombadil in the LOTR even at 12 hours or so in the extended cut.
Agreed. I wish the Harry Potter movies had even 1/2 of the content the books did rather than the 1/10 that we got.
Old 11-25-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica

I dunno. The length simply doesn't concern me so long as the story is compelling and coherent. If it's riddled with nods to the OT simply for the sake of nods to the OT, I probably would be irritated (a few things in the Star Wars PT nodding to the OT felt exactly like that).
Agree 100%. This just feels like a cash grab. I'm confident in Jackson but cautiously so.
Old 11-25-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have dusted off the books and done some reading. I am wondering if:

Spoiler:
Gandalf gives the map to Thorin at a later time? In the previews it is obvious he is somewhere like a dungeon which I presume is the fortress of the Necromancer (aka Sauron), which is where he got the map and key from Thorin's father.
Old 11-25-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I have dusted off the books and done some reading. I am wondering if:

Spoiler:
Gandalf gives the map to Thorin at a later time? In the previews it is obvious he is somewhere like a dungeon which I presume is the fortress of the Necromancer (aka Sauron), which is where he got the map and key from Thorin's father.
I wasn't familiar with the pre-Hobbit backstory for that...yeah, those must be the shots in the trailers. I like the idea of The Hobbit "rhyming" with Fellowship, by Gandalf making the same type of appearance in the first scene(s) of the film. PJ might use the shots of him running through the prison/dungeon as he's explaining it to others.

I expect these films to kind of play like the extended versions of LOTR. (slower pace, more little moments, etc)
Old 11-27-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Red Carpet World Premiere in New Zealand tonight. Does this mean we should start having reviews coming in?
Old 11-27-12, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe.
Old 11-27-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, watching The Hobbit premiere live feed... fanfare is out of control. 100,000 people lining the streets. This shit better deliver...and I'm sure it will.
Old 11-27-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Can't wait!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PgGL0F9r4XM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-28-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, Ian McKellan is all kinds of awesome . I really admire how these movies place an emphasis on acting, which is rare for FX driven stuff.

Hope to hear some reviews later.
Old 11-28-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First Impressions are starting to come out, from Comicbook.com

X-Men: Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer had praise both for the movie and actor Ian McKellen. Singer tweeted, “Just saw #Hobbit. Having some serious frame rate envy. Amazing and involving. Loved it! And @ianmckellen118, my friend, you are brilliant!”

Composer Steven Gallagher tweeted, “Hobbit premiere was excellent! Thanks all !!! Enjoyed the film very much.” Blogger Kylie Klein tweeted, “The #Hobbit is everything I could have hoped for. Perfection. TWO MORE FILMS PLEASE. #3SR.” Klein also tweeted that Peter and Fran got a standing ovation, and added, “I loved it. Transported. Already deeply, massively in love with Thranduil and he was only on screen for about three seconds. “

New Zealand Parliament member Steven Joyce tweeted, “Really enjoyed #Hobbit Unexpected Journey world premiere. Masterful movie. Congrats Sir Peter Jackson et al. Privilege 2 be there #HobbitNZ”

A New Zealand attendee with Twitter handle Carter Nixon, also shared some high praise for the The Hobbit. Nixon tweeted, “I just saw and enjoyed the sh*t out of The Hobbit. It’s great.” Follow-up tweets by Nixon added, “I am not giving away any particulars. Staying vague until it opens but I dug it. A lot.” and “Yeah everyone seemed to have loved it. Great atmosphere in theatre. It’s a lot of fun.”
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/11/28...rt-to-surface/
Old 11-28-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eric Saindon On ‘Hobbit’s VFX
On Rings, we had about five terabytes of disk space for the whole movie. Then on this one, we’re in multiple petabytes of information, which is insane.

Bonnie Alba ‏@bonniealba

Just saw a test reel for The Hobbit 3D in 48 fps. Oh. My. God. You guys have no idea what you are in for. #TheHobbit

CineSneak Düsseldorf ‏@SneakOberkassel

I've seen the future of movies - I've seen the #Hobbit Screen Test.

Old 11-28-12, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how many of you are going to watch the 48 fps version first?

I was thinking of watching the 24 fps first, than experience The Hobbit in 48 fps. I didn't want the 48 fps to be to jarring and make me enjoy the story less.
Old 11-28-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to do it.
Old 11-28-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

I don't think I have a choice. Don't see any 48fps in my area
Old 11-28-12, 01:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't think I have a choice. Don't see any 48fps in my area
None of these are near by?
Michigan

Canton: Emagine Canton 18
Detroit: AMC Livonia 20
Novi: Emagine Novi 18
Sterling Heights: MJR Marketplace Digital Cinema 20
Southgate: Southgate Digital cinema 20
Ypsilanti: Rave Ann Arbor 20
Old 11-28-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"It was amazing"; "It was fantastic"; "The clarity was amazing"... Those lucky enough to see The Hobbit's premiere last night were effusive.

Those spoken to after the screening praised the beautiful New Zealand sceneries, the captivating story and were dazzled by the special effects featured in the first movie to be shot in 3D at 48 frames per second (fps).

"It was fantastic, it was very realistic. And compared to the Lord of the Rings movies it was great to see, that special effects have come a long way," Stephanie Cook said.

"It was amazing, especially the battle scenes and it left you wanting more at the end," Paul Bingham said. "The 48 fps is totally the future of movies. It takes you a couple of minutes to get used to it, but the clarity is amazing. I read the initial media criticism but I have to say: It's just fantastic."

Shihad frontman Jon Toogood agreed. "I thought Gollum was awesome, that was my favourite", but the whole movie looked amazing and sounded awesome, he said.

The new 3D format "did feel a bit voyeuristic at first but once you get used to how crystal clear it is, I think it is quite amazing. It is arresting when you first see it. It is almost like something you shouldn't really be seeing it. It's cool," he said.

The movie also got some backing from director Peter Jackson's 16-year-old daughter, Katie. "It was amazing," she said after seeing it for the first time along with the 850-strong crowd at the theatre. "It's very close to home with Lords of the Rings and I think Hobbit fans will enjoy it very much".

Another movie-goer described it as the best of fantasy put into 3D. "I don't know if it was so advanced or if it was so old, that's how I would describe it. It was just gorgeous," she said.

It would be fair to assume, that Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee, who was heavily involved in the negotiations with Warner Bros, didn't have much of a choice than loving the movie, but his praises sounded sincere.

"I thought it was fantastic. The bits you can probably most appreciate are the sound quality, that was extraordinary, and all of the technical side of it. The 48 frames per second, it's some of the best 3D ever produced, and then the story itself, I think it just captures you," he said.

"The best bit for me though was the 3000 names at the end that worked on this production."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...zzles-audience
Old 11-28-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people praising it have "auto motion" set on their TVs and think it looks good. I'll take the negative opinion of a critic who at the very least knows what a movie should look like, over a common viewer who likely has never concerned themselves with what makes a quality image in the first place.
Old 11-28-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'd be willing to bet a lot of people praising it have "auto motion" set on their TVs and think it looks good. I'll take the negative opinion of a critic who at the very least knows what a movie should look like, over a common viewer who likely has never concerned themselves with what makes a quality image in the first place.
Bryan Singer praised it.

Also, there's this.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...ment-706505601
NoahU • 19 days ago
I saw the new Hobbit trailer last night in the 48 FPS since the theater is one of the above that will be showing The Hobbit in HFR 3D. While it was obviously different, it was not as bad as I had expected and I am one that hates the look of the 120hz setting on HDTVs. While the sharper motion did take a bit to get used to, the characters on the screen did look more life-like and real. It didn't have that same cheap soap opera video feel of 120hz. It felt more expensive somehow since you can't see the makeup lines and other distracting details.

I am still planning on seeing the Hobbit first in 24 FPS second, but I am now more optimistic about seeing it again in 48 FPS.
Old 11-28-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Was it based on the old footage? Or has he seen the new footage?

The President of NATO, the National Association of Theater Owners, told the Times "The difference is obvious and dramatic. The question is whether or not it’s a difference that drives patrons to the theater." But the NATO President also saw a version of the 48 fpm footage that was color corrected, not the raw version that played in Vegas in April that fans weren’t nuts about. "It really wasn’t representative of what it looks like today. I think it will have a big impact on the industry."

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment...-age-of-48-fps
Old 11-28-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Operations and film manager at Miramar Roxy Cinema in Wellington, Daminda Dias, said the upgrade was expensive but proving popular.

"Our projectors were always state of the art but an extra memory board had to be fitted into the existing projector to allow us to project at 48 frames per second.

"It was expensive to install but more than the expense was the fact that it was new technology so people weren't sure how the projectors were going to react."

Dias said presales for the 48 fps screening had been "by far the most popular".

"It's because it is new technology I suppose."

While reactions to the high frame rate after it debuted at annual convention CinemaCon earlier this year were mixed, Dias said the test footage he had seen this week was "lovely".

"The picture is a lovely crisp looking picture and the colours are a lot better than six months ago."

He said all the "teething issues" had now been sorted out
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10850545
Old 11-28-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...sEnabled=false

The movie offers technological wizardry, thanks to a 48 frames-per-second format, twice the industry standard. Critics who saw a trailer earlier this year were unimpressed, but after a minute or two of adjusting, the higher resolution is eye-popping, similar to discovering HD television for the first time.

Alas, the higher resolution has one downside: it really makes you wince when you see the obscenely corpulent Goblin King in such crystal clarity.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.