Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Hobbit

John Howe's Smaug

Old 06-26-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, both Del Toro and Jackson are good directors and make better films than 90% of what's out there at the theater every year so... I'll just wait and see what happens.
Old 06-26-10, 11:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny, this is how I always saw Smaug:

Old 06-26-10, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG...I hated this film as a kid. Boring as hell for me.
Old 06-27-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I love the idea that even after directing 3 critically lauded and wildly commercially successful films, Peter Jackson "can't direct for shit." And even though he "can't direct for shit," he somehow cannot screw up The Hobbit.
I never said that he can't direct for shit.

My point was even if he really isn't a very good director in the grand scheme of things and if he goes his entire career without ever making another movie that's even remotely good, he hit a homerun with The Lord of the Rings trilogy and did a tremendous job with those films...probably better than any other director out there could have done. So, since he did such a good job on those films it seems reasonable to assume that he would also do a good job on the next 2 Hobbit films as most everything about the Hobbit will be very similar to the 3 Lord of the Rings flims he's already directed.

I'm not necessarily saying this but it's possible that PJ is a one trick pony and can only direct Middle Earth films, but he's the best at making those films based on his success with The Lord of the Rings.
Old 06-27-10, 01:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I'm not trying to start an argument here, but your post said:

"it seems almost impossible for him to screw up The Hobbit as even if he can't direct for shit, he did a wonderful job on those 3 films."

That's what I was responding to. And I disagree, as I think Dead-Alive is a kinetic horror comedy on the level of Evil Dead 2, Heavenly Creatures is a fantastic drama with fantasy elements, and The Frighteners is a fun comedy.
Old 06-27-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, I'm not trying to start an argument here, but your post said:

"it seems almost impossible for him to screw up The Hobbit as even if he can't direct for shit, he did a wonderful job on those 3 films."

That's what I was responding to. And I disagree, as I think Dead-Alive is a kinetic horror comedy on the level of Evil Dead 2, Heavenly Creatures is a fantastic drama with fantasy elements, and The Frighteners is a fun comedy.
Well maybe I wasn't clear in what I wrote. I didn't mean that he can't direct for shit. He obviously can if he pulled off the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was just saying that IF...IF he's not truly a great director and maybe just got lucky with the trilogy or it turns out that all he's capable of doing is Middle Earth movies, the Hobbit is just another Middle Earth movie so he shouldn't have much trouble doing it since he did the other 3 so well.

Not trying to slam Jackson at all even though I'm really not a fan of anything he's done other than Lord of the Rings, he definitely did a great job on those 3 films.
Old 06-27-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I was just saying that IF...IF he's not truly a great director and maybe just got lucky with the trilogy or it turns out that all he's capable of doing is Middle Earth movies...
The terms "even if" and "even though" often get confused with one another, and "even if" sometimes gets used instead of "even though":
http://www.englishforums.com/English...gpjgq/post.htm
http://www.linglish.net/2008/08/04/e...gh-vs-even-if/
http://www.englishforums.com/English...bklkm/post.htm
http://en.allexperts.com/q/English-S...815/though.htm
http://eltnotebook.blogspot.com/2006...en-though.html
Old 06-27-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right. I said even if, which means the possibility of. I didn't say even though.
Old 06-27-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Right. I said even if, which means the possibility of. I didn't say even though.
I think the confusion is that you've seen a number of his movies, and not just LOTR, so you should be able to make a personal judgment of his talents, as most people have. Also, you used a very strong negative to describe his talents, which most people wouldn't do unless they were decided. And again, the terms get confused, so although you wrote "even if," it was very possible that you meant "even though."
Old 06-27-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nerds.
Old 06-27-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-27-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nerds.
Says the guy who still can't get to sleep without his Darth Vader night-light.
Old 06-27-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think the confusion is that you've seen a number of his movies, and not just LOTR, so you should be able to make a personal judgment of his talents, as most people have. Also, you used a very strong negative to describe his talents, which most people wouldn't do unless they were decided. And again, the terms get confused, so although you wrote "even if," it was very possible that you meant "even though."
Kinda forgot what we were even talking about. Ha ha.

What it comes down is I like The Lord of the Rings. Jackson did a great job on those. I don't really care for his other films but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad films...just that I didn't care for them. In the grand scheme of things he should probably be described as a good director but in terms of directing Middle Earth flims he's great. Since he's great at directing Middle Earth films, he should be the logical choice to film the next 2 and it also seems logical that he'd not only do the best job on them but he'd have an "easier" time doing them compared to somebody else...say Del Toro, as well.
Old 06-27-10, 04:07 PM

Ian McKellan is like 115 years old and not getting any younger. They need to get on with this film already.
Old 06-27-10, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Ian McKellan is like 115 years old and not getting any younger. They need to get on with this film already.
Well hell..I wish I could look that good at that age.
Old 06-27-10, 07:22 PM
Banned

...so who are you? I'd like to see these influence works..
Old 06-27-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I'm a multiple-times-award-winning painter directly due to his influence) something.
That's impressive Der Kilmister. Any links to your work?
Old 06-28-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ditto on the links to the work. Not for proof but from interest.
Old 06-28-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You know what's funny? I thought I was posting this in the "stars you dread dying" thread, LOL...but, since you're all curious...here's a few:

From the Mars Attacks series, this one was eventually used in an advertisement for model kit paints:

Welcome to New Jersey, either the Garden State or the Toxic Waste state, take yer pick, LOL...I used forensics textbooks for reference material, as well as a personal experience with a close family member dying badly (skin tones, cataract, etc).

I did this Ceasar from POTA as a commisioned piece, and recently, the original buyer sold it on eBay for twice what he paid me (!!!):

Oh, and everything is hand-painted in the above pieces, no airbrush (I use them, several different ones actually, but I prefer a brush in my hand). I've won awards in different art contests from NYC to Vegas with the hundreds of figures/kits I've built and painted, in formats from styrene to vinyl to resin to porcelain, and custom pieces out of custom materials. In fact, I have an entire cardboard box full of framed awards and trophies/plaques, ribbons/medals, etc...

I once studied under Greg Nicotero. Just sayin'.

I'm open to your opinions!
Jesus... those look damn sweet. Especially the Mars Attacks piece.
Old 06-28-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice work Lemmy.
Old 06-29-10, 08:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Those are fantastic.
Old 06-29-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice!
Old 06-29-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate them very much.

And Hokeyboy gets special recognition...he gave me a new sig!
Looks good! But I wonder, what do you mean about that "a personal experience with a close family member dying badly (skin tones, cataract, etc)"? Someone go down in a toxic waste spill... and was robocop to blame?
Old 06-29-10, 05:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny, this is how I always saw Smaug:

a gay dragon? ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.