Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Originally Posted by RD1973

#2 People are so fucking jaded.
Jaded = "that person doesn't agree with me".
Old 08-21-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like Delgo + Dances with Wolves in space.

I'll still see it, however. I liked the trailer for The Wolfman better.
Old 08-21-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Might have to skip out on tonight's Avatar Day showing... kind of bummed that something has come up, but shit happens
Old 08-21-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Might have to skip out on tonight's Avatar Day showing... kind of bummed that something has come up, but shit happens
That sucks. I think you were going to the Toronto screening too, right? I'm still planning on going tonight. Really hoping the screening (and pre-screening line-up, if there is one) goes a lot smoother than the actual ticket release this past Monday.
Old 08-21-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Initial thoughts: meh
Old 08-21-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by toddly6666
So, this is basically DELGO in 3D?
Some comparison stills
Old 08-21-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a side note, it's interesting that Delgo is getting far more buzz and attention due to the Avatar trailer than it did when it was released.
Old 08-21-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having now seen the trailer three times, and once on the big screen, I take it back. I'm pretty underwhelmed, and I wish James Cameron would make a real movie after 12 years and not a goddamned 360 game.

That said, you bet your ass I'll still be there at midnight.
Old 08-21-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Having now seen the trailer three times, and once on the big screen, I take it back. I'm pretty underwhelmed, and I wish James Cameron would make a real movie after 12 years and not a goddamned 360 game.

That said, you bet your ass I'll still be there at midnight.

Really? Why do people keep saying this looks like a video game or an adult pixar movie? 40% of the movie is live action, the other 60% is CGI. The trailer is only made up by the CGI to show people the world Cameron has created. The whole movie doesn't take place on Pandora, in fact there are some pics now released with Jake in a bar. Honestly, the trailer didn't seem to do a great job of establishing what this film is going to be like. And besides, this is Performance Capture, meaning when you see the avatars and na'vi, it's no different then when you see the apes in planet of the apes. The actors are still performing, only in a sort of CGI costume.
Old 08-21-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

This is what we're waiting for? Looks like a high-quality video game intro. The aliens look ridiculous and cartoony, and the full CGI worlds look just like that...a full CGI world. They should have just made it a videogame and left it at that.

I don't give two shits about anything that's in 3D, and I haven't seen one thing about Avatar to care about. Maybe I'll rent it on Blu-ray but wow, what a letdown.
Old 08-21-09, 12:33 PM

The part where the guy in the wheelchair is travelling around the military base or whatever it is seems kind of interesting, but all the dragons/dinosaurs/helicopters fighting make it seem a lot like the kind of multi-book-series-SF that is really out of the mainstream (like someone else here mentioned). The only potential audience here seems to be hardcore fans of World of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons, and those sorts of things, but maybe that's enough.
Old 08-21-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the trailer...didn't impress me. The CGI just looks so fake.
Old 08-21-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This looks like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Terminator threw up all over the screen.

I'm not getting what I'm supposed to be amazed by yet.
Old 08-21-09, 02:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
This looks like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Terminator threw up all over the screen.

I'm not getting what I'm supposed to be amazed by yet.
with a little bit of Panzer Dragoon. Saw the trailer before 'Inglorious Basterds' I don't get the hype either. The comparison pics between this and 'Delgo' are hilarious.
Old 08-21-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Yavin
That sucks. I think you were going to the Toronto screening too, right? I'm still planning on going tonight. Really hoping the screening (and pre-screening line-up, if there is one) goes a lot smoother than the actual ticket release this past Monday.
Yeah, was supposed to be there but something came up to keep me from getting into the city - Be sure to report back from the screening, I'm interested to hear about it for sure.
Old 08-21-09, 04:00 PM

Just got back from the 15min preview at the IMAX in London. The studio PR guy talked it up as the future of cinema etc.

The 3D is great, some of the settings looked amazing. It is quite a convincing CG world. The performances look very well captured. Unfortunately some of the dialogue felt very clunky/cliche. The 15mins didn't convince me that there is going to be a great story.
Old 08-21-09, 04:33 PM

Like everyone else, I downloaded the Avatar trailer in HD when it was officially released yesterday. I thought it looked cool but like many here, I failed to see why the film was "revolutionary".

I saw the trailer again on the big screen last night. It worked better with the slightly bigger scope of a cinema screen.

Today I saw the 16 minute IMAX preview. It was stunning. Watching this film in 2D would akin to watching Singin' in the Rain in black and white, or The Matrix in mono.

James Cameron uses the 3D as a part of the films natural cinematography. Similar to how Hitchcock used 3D in Dial M for Murder - to help broaden the scope of the film and add a depth to the image thus drawing the viewer into the film, rather than using cheap 3D tricks like the recent Journey to the Center of the Earth.

The Na'vi look incredible in IMAX 3D. There jungle world is so alive and looks so real it is quite unlike anything I've ever seen before.

I am now seriously excited about this film.
Old 08-21-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_Feeling
Like everyone else, I downloaded the Avatar trailer in HD when it was officially released yesterday. I thought it looked cool but like many here, I failed to see why the film was "revolutionary".

I saw the trailer again on the big screen last night. It worked better with the slightly bigger scope of a cinema screen.

Today I saw the 16 minute IMAX preview. It was stunning. Watching this film in 2D would akin to watching Singin' in the Rain in black and white, or The Matrix in mono.

James Cameron uses the 3D as a part of the films natural cinematography. Similar to how Hitchcock used 3D in Dial M for Murder - to help broaden the scope of the film and add a depth to the image thus drawing the viewer into the film, rather than using cheap 3D tricks like the recent Journey to the Center of the Earth.

The Na'vi look incredible in IMAX 3D. There jungle world is so alive and looks so real it is quite unlike anything I've ever seen before.

I am now seriously excited about this film.
I'd accuse you of being a studio shill, but you registered nearly 2 years ago. Hmmmmm
Old 08-21-09, 04:41 PM

Understandable.

I'm not though. I saw the preview at the Odeon IMAX screen at the Printworks Manchester UK at the 7pm screening earlier this evening.

Thought I'd share my opinions with you Americans who have not had the chance to see it yet.

Honest. Cross my heart and hope to die.
Old 08-21-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

But do you think it's enough to carry a film and bring audiences in?

The 26 mins of footage from Comic Con in 3D was amazing, too. But I still have reservations that the general public will WANT to see this.
Old 08-21-09, 05:09 PM

I think Cameron will be able to pull if off. Judging from what we've seen/heard so far the story is going to be pretty strong and the special effects look stunning in 3D.

I think it all is going to depend on the Fox's marketing strategy which so far has been a little ropey.
Old 08-21-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw the trailer for this and was pretty much not blown away. the blue things look like Jar jar fucked the elves from Lord of the Rings....big whoop.

What is this even based on? a manga cartoon or something?
Old 08-21-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ_DVD_Freak
Just got back from the 15min preview at the IMAX in London. The studio PR guy talked it up as the future of cinema etc.

The 3D is great, some of the settings looked amazing. It is quite a convincing CG world. The performances look very well captured. Unfortunately some of the dialogue felt very clunky/cliche. The 15mins didn't convince me that there is going to be a great story.
this is what bugs me the most...nothing about this is "the future of cinema" - it may be the future of shitty big budget action epics a la Transformers...but it's hardly the future of cinema....what a colossally arrogant statement.
Old 08-21-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
this is what bugs me the most...nothing about this is "the future of cinema" - it may be the future of shitty big budget action epics a la Transformers...but it's hardly the future of cinema....what a colossally arrogant statement.
Your comparing this to Transfomers? What kinda drug are you on?
Old 08-21-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont really care for the Na'vi designs, they are kind of ugly and uninteresting looking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.