Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Bay Wants to remake "Friday the 13th" (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michael Bay Wants to remake "Friday the 13th" (merged)

Old 08-23-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507932
Old 08-24-07, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I am sick of this remake/reimagining crap.

Put their time and money into making a decent sequel if they must do something.
How do you make a decent sequel to something where every movie in the franchise has sucked? This isn't remaking Halloween or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Psycho. It's just Friday the 13th for crying out loud.
Old 08-24-07, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Legolas
How do you make a decent sequel to something where every movie in the franchise has sucked? This isn't remaking Halloween or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Psycho. It's just Friday the 13th for crying out loud.
That's a matter of opinion. I happen to enjoy some of the earlier films in the series and am not afraid to admit it.

Shoot me if you must, but I enjoy "Friday the 13th" and "Elm Street" a hell of a lot more than I enjoy any of the :Texas Chainsaw Massacre: movies -- including the original. The TCM series has provided me with nothing but dullness and boredom. The constant screaming from Sally bordered on pure annoyance.

Some of the Friday the 13th films are pretty bad, but I can't ever say I was bored when I watched them back in the day. That is until the atrocious "Jason" series stuck out its ugly head. Basically, I enjoyed the Friday the 13th series, but abhored the Jason series -- Freddy vs. Jason being the ultimate worst.

Well, you must just not like old movies... Not true at all. Psycho '60 is one of my favorite horror films, for example. Ditto with Halloween '78, Black Christmas '74, and Night of the Living Dead '68.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 08-24-07 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-24-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
oops, I wonder why it wasn't on the first 3 pages of forum search
Old 08-24-07, 07:31 AM

Well, the 1st and the 2nd parts were pretty scary, I still remember how frightened I was watching them at the age of 13-14. Given the fact they really CAN make nice remakes now (recalling The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes) I believe they'd be able to shoot really gruesome and frightening flick.
Old 08-24-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think there is a lot of potential to restart this franchise. They have a lot of characters they can start over and better set up a more cohesive mythology.

I enjoy the originals a lot (4 the most and 6 the least, haven't seen 9 or X), but there have been so many sequels at this point that they can do whatever to the next film. Personally I'd make the series into a camfire type, and just not bother with continuity between films, and instead just give the film to a new director each time out and let him do anything he wanted with it. One could go mindless with slasher, some could go psychological, some could go supernatural, and any other shit they could come up with. Just try to bring the quality of each individual film up.
Old 08-24-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
oops, I wonder why it wasn't on the first 3 pages of forum search
If you use the advanced forum search you can specify if you want to search entire threads or the title only. I did a title only search for the word "Friday" and the first page of results had two threads regarding the remake.
Old 08-24-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even through it’s probably more of a guilty pleasure, I’ve enjoyed all the Friday the 13th films with the exception of Jason X & Freddy vs Jason, and they’re not part of the series by name.

With the exception of maybe Halloween: II, the first Halloween was really the only good movie in the franchise. It’s an excellent movie in my opinion but the sequels are all terrible pieces of sh*t & much worse than any of the Friday the 13th sequels.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre films have been pretty decent. The original was excellent, TCM: 2 was weird & over the top but I was lovin’ every minute of it. I’ve never seen Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. TCM: The Next Generation was just plain out terrible. I enjoyed the 03’ remake of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre even through it didn’t have the filming style of the original & it was very polished. The latest & (according to the studio) last TCM film, TCM: The Beginning, was decent but it didn’t live up to its potential.

Psycho 1, 2, 3 & 4 were all excellent & only the shot-by-shot remake sucked, I don’t even count that mess as part of the franchise.

I would rather see a good sequel made than another Michael Bay remake.
Old 08-24-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd be more interested in a Friday the 13th remake than the Halloween one. Frankly, I don't see how Halloween is liked so much. Maybe because I didn't see it until 4 years ago but it seems just filled with horror movie cliches (maybe it started them but since I didn't see it first, it seems cliche to me) that I couldn't take it seriously.

Not that Friday the 13th is some great movie making either. It has the same cliches as Halloween but maybe because I watched them much younger, I like it better. Friday the 13th just seems more interesting to watch.
Old 08-24-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm game. Considering I've been a lifelong F13th fan I'll watch anything they put the big bastard in, as long as it includes plenty of premarital sex, drug use and gory death. I don't have the most faith in Platinum Dunes, but it's pretty hard to totally fuck up a Jason film. Besides, at this point, and after outer space, they can't really do anything else that hasn't been done except to reawaken the franchise.
Old 08-24-07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I'm game. Considering I've been a lifelong F13th fan I'll watch anything they put the big bastard in, as long as it includes plenty of premarital sex, drug use and gory death.
...and Kane Hodder which is obligatory!
Old 08-24-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they don't use Kane. I used to think he was a good Jason, but I don't think that anymore. He just made Jason to be really pissed off and a heavy breather. Jason is obviously pissed off in all the movies, otherwise why is he killing, so no need to add in all the pissed off mannerisms. Anyway, Kane is actually in some of the worst ones (Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X) The only crappier one that he isn't in is part 5.

I'd prefer if they just got a new guy to play Jason, and not even use the guy from Freddy Vs. Jason, as he wasn't that good either. My favorite Jasons were the ones from Part 4 and part 6.

Last edited by Seantn; 08-24-07 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 01:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
I did a forum search and didn't come up with anything on this so I thought I would post it
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507932
Old 08-24-07, 02:22 PM

I can't wait for this, I agree with a few here, I prefer the FF movies over the Halloween series or the TCM series. Sure they're not great, but they're at least exciting and pretty different terms of the deaths.

Count me in. I thought there was talk of an Ash Vs Jason Vs Freddy or something absurd, that I would also for sure see
Old 08-24-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Line Cinema needs to realize that they should stick to the formula that works. Ever since they took over with "Jason Goes to Hell", they allowed the series to try and change what made F13 popular, and it hasn't worked. Actually, it started while Jason was at Paramount. Jason left Crystal Lake and went on a boat, and then to Manhattan in the awful "Jason takes Manhattan". Then in part 9, Jason goes on some stupid body hopping spree (This movie is one of the worst in the series), then Jason goes to space in Jason X?

Come on, just keep him in Crystal Lake (and in his own body!)

And for goodness sake, keep Sean Cunningham AWAY from this series! If you read the book "Crystal Lake Memories", you get to see that he isn't really even a horror fan, and he is a big reason why Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X are the way they are.
Old 08-24-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jonathan Liebsman = I'm skipping it. This guy has made two shitty movies in this genre that made me want to poke my eyes out, I'm not up for a third round of punishment.
Old 08-24-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Liebesman sucks for sure. After Darkness Falls he said that he didn't have control over it, BUT that Texas Chainsaw turned out exactly the way he wanted. So I figured i'd give him another chance, and I saw it... TCM: The Beginning was just awful.
Old 08-24-07, 11:37 PM

You have to be kidding me,you do not put a crap director like this to do a remake of one of the most popular slashers of all time.Hell,why dont they just let Tom Savini direct and do the SFX together,that would be awesome!
Old 08-24-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Sorry about the search blunder

but
It doesn't matter if this movie is any good or not, they have to push it out so the can make (counting FvJ) Friday the 13th part 13 which needs to be released with an X rating, have Caligula style sex, ultra gore and horrible things I can't even imagine
Old 08-25-07, 09:46 AM

Sorry about the search blunder

but
It doesn't matter if this movie is any good or not, they have to push it out so the can make (counting FvJ) Friday the 13th part 13 which needs to be released with an X rating, have Caligula style sex, ultra gore and horrible things I can't even imagine
I’d love to see Peter O’Toole in Friday the 13th: part 13.
Old 08-25-07, 10:07 AM

Caligula style sex, ultra gore and horrible things I can't even imagine
You got the point with horrible things - that's exactly what's needed, but you got me laughing over Caligula style sex...
Old 08-25-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A sequel to Jason X would be nice. Maybe I'm weird, but I thought it was the perfect way to go with the series, make it a self parody.
Old 09-17-07, 11:54 PM

New News!

The "Friday the 13th" redo is finally underway -- though it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone after "Halloween's" Labor Day weekend success stint at the box office.

This is a very early work in progress, so directors, etc. are not known at this time.

The duo who wrote "Freddy vs. Jason" are set to write the piece. As someone who hated "Freddy vs. Jason," I feel a little apprehensive about it. Then again, they weren't happy with what Ronny Yu did to their script either or the casting choices, so there's hope.

Here's hoping New Line obtains someone with some style to direct. It would be funny if the movie actually came out well because no one will be expecting it to be of any worth -- especially after other recent remakes. I wish the project the best, for my own amusement, because I'd like to see something good come out of this.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ws.php?id=1381

Important note: Jonathon Liebsman is not set to direct yet. There is no director set to work on this project yet. It's still very much up in the air, and more news should be known in the coming months.

Shooting is expected to begin in '08.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 09-18-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 12:34 AM

Um...

Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
The "Friday the 13th" redo is finally underway -- though it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone after "Halloween's" Labor Day weekend success stint at the box office.
I'd be right there with you, if your last sentence was, "Even though it sucked." What a horrid piece of crap that was. Like the vast majority of remakes.
Old 09-18-07, 11:35 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my old approach to this sort of thing would have been "Well, it can't be worse than some of the sequels". And then I saw Rob Zombie's Halloween and realized it can be a lot worse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.