Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

01/18/08....some thoughts.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-30-07, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to post this being I, myself, am obsessed with the trailer for the untitled J.J. Abrams film. The fact that the show "Lost" is so captivating that people who are beyond frustrated will still be glued to their TV when the show comes back from summer hiatus...is amazing. The reason...we all are obsessed with "answers".
J.J. Abrams knows this and doles those answers out like "crumbs to the hungry", giving people just enough to leave them wanting more. PURE GENIUS!!!

People in search of these answers are going crazy, over-analyzing the trailer and pics (IMO). I don't know if Abrams does anything more than whip people into a frenzy then give them "red herrings" to throw them off track and keep them busy while he maps out his real plan. If this is true...once again...pure genius!

The only problem I see with all this is the end result. If the movie does not live up to all the hype, Abrams can turn into the next M. Night. Shyamalam. He was the king of the "twist" with "The Sixth Sense" and turned into a joke by "Lady in the Water". If "01/18/08" does not deliver...will people stay on the "Lost" train??? I give it up to Abrams for his courage. If this film delivers, he has locked people in for the next 3 years of "Lost" (series end is slated for 2010). If not...will "Lost" make it to 2010???

It will be interesting to see what happens with this film.

One more observation....

The trailer/movie poster
( http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20048197,00.html ), hits close to home being I live in New York (10 minutes outside of Manhattan to be a little more specific). The most horrific thing that has ever happened to the U.S., more specifically NY, was the attack on the World Trade Center. If you lived in or around Manhattan on 9/11...it was nothing short or complete terror.
This event not only affected NY, but the entire world. There is no one that can look at a picture of the smoking NYC skyline and not think of 9/11.

Does anyone feel, Abrams meant to play on our fears with his choice of city for the film and depiction in the movie poster???

Just a thought.

If there are any real clues/news that come out about the film (not speculation)...feel free to post them here. As of now we know:

* It takes place in NYC.
* Whatever it is... is huge!

Everything else...is just conjecture.
Old 07-30-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow.
Old 07-30-07, 04:26 AM

Any reason this couldn't have gone in the existing thread?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505326
Old 07-30-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-30-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-30-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will never understand why members who have been here for years never think to check if a week's old popular topic has an existing thread.
Old 07-30-07, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I will never understand why members who have been here for years never think to check if a week's old popular topic has an existing thread.
The keyword is laziness.
Old 07-30-07, 11:34 AM

Actually...I knew there was another thread but thought this deserved a new post. I apologize to anyone who was upset that this DID NOT go in the other thread. I felt it would have got lost amidst the frenzy of people trying to figure out clues to the movie. I will repost within the thread and have no problem with the moderator deleting this post.

WOW...people are so quick to be judgmental.

I was just trying to refresh the conversation on this movie with anew angle.

If you would like to reply, look in the original thread for my post.