Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

6 Movie Formulas that Must Be Stopped

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

6 Movie Formulas that Must Be Stopped

Old 07-25-07, 11:13 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,874
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 Movie Formulas that Must Be Stopped

http://www.cracked.com/index.php?nam...=2262&pageid=1

6 Movie Formulas That Must Be Stopped

#6. Ultra-Masculine Action Star Gets Stuck With Small Child or Children

Who's Doing It Next: In The Game Plan, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson plays Joe Kingman, a successful quarterback who's whole bachelor lifestyle gets turned around when he finds out (gasp) he has a seven-year-old daughter! No professional athlete has ever balanced his career AND a family. This should get pretty wild, folks!

Who Did It Best: Kindergarten Cop. Maybe because it was one of the first of its kind, or maybe it's because Schwarzenegger, with his enormous arms, indecipherable accent and near-constant shouting, is just so naturally frightening that you better believe his little co-stars were crying in between takes. We wouldn't be surprised if some of them still have nightmares about the giant, gibberish-spewing Frankenstein that, for a few months, spent every single day screaming at them.

Who Did It Worst: The Pacifier. The movie features Vin Diesel's sensitive and dramatic side and serves as a painful reminder as to why most of Diesel's movies focus more on his kicking-ass and blowing-things-up side. Also, the connection Mr. Diesel shares with the little girl he's sworn to protect is cause for alarm. When he holds her close, you can practically hear the wheels turning in his head as he struggles to find innovative loopholes for that pesky Megan's Law.

Why It Needs To Stop: We don't watch action movies for the subtle nuances of the heroes' performances—which is a good thing, because 10 out of 10 action stars cannot act to save their mother. This is never more apparent than when you remove the Terminator's gun and replace it with a baby.

#5. Psychotic Little Kids Terrorize Adults

Who's Doing It Next: Joshua brings us a little boy who, when his new sister shows up, absolutely loses his shit and starts tearing apart his toys, killing his pets and possibly plotting to murder his entire family. It's almost like The Good Son, except for the fact that it's exactly like The Good Son.

Who Did It Best: The Good Son. There's just something so damn creepy about Macaulay Culkin and that, in conjunction with his complete inability to express emotions, makes the role of a cold-hearted, murderous asshole the only one he's ever been right for. Those soulless shark eyes of his...

When we watch his mom drop him off a cliff at the end of the film, we can pretend he's actually dead and finally get some sleep again.

Who Did It Worst: Village of the Damned (1995). Despite the best efforts of Luke Skywalker and Superman, this movie was painful. The people of this aforementioned village took way too long to realize there was a problem. Just about every woman was simultaneously struck with a sudden case of pregnant, and then nine months later the town is loaded with tiny, Aryan mind-readers.

Take note: If there is a town full of identical kids, they're either evil aliens or everyone's wife is having an affair with the same blond-haired, blue-eyed sex machine. Either way, drown those bastards immediately.

Why It Needs To Stop: Because there is not a single nine-year-old on the planet who could take us in hand-to-hand combat, though we welcome any and all challengers. Is a third-grader hinting at suffocating a member of your family? Uppercut that smirk right off his little face and give him some chores. It's called parenting, folks.

#4. Young, Hip, (Read: Black) Guy Invades Typically White World

Who's Doing It Next: In Who's Your Caddy?, rapper Big Boi stars as rapper C-Note, a streetwise cat who tries to obtain membership to an elite country club that is, apparently, populated exclusively by people who would rather believe black people didn't exist.

Who Did It Best: Trading Places. Not just because it's so funny that we'll look the other way when Eddie Murphy sleeps with transvestites and makes Norbit, but because it was smarter than all of the black-meets-white comedies that came after. It didn't rely on having a bunch of monocle-sporting, white aristocrats dance poorly and awkwardly say words like "dawg" and "jiggy" to get laughs. It had things like "plot" and "character arcs," things that have been ignored by copycats trying to be hipper and edgier.

Who Did It Worst: We're calling this one early for Who's Your Caddy? Not only does it feature a tired formula that we were sick of back when Chris Rock was doing it, but it's also about fucking golf. Oh, and Jeffrey Jones (the principal from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and probably some other movies) is in it, and we're pretty sure we heard somewhere that he was a pederast.

Why It Needs To Stop: If we wanted to see a fast-talking black guy infiltrate a world that still thinks black people will eventually just disappear, we'd watch Trading Places. If we wanted to watch that same exact premise but throw in a rapper or two, we'd watch How High. If we wanted a movie with the same black-meets-white premise, plus rappers and golf, we'd watch The Legend of Bagger Vance.

#3. Brilliant Musician Rises, Falls and Finds Redemption

Who's Doing It Next: Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez bring us El Cantante, even though we didn't ask for it, don't know who it's about and won't see it. Evidently, it's about the man who brought salsa music to America. We'll remember that when we're watching absolutely anything else we can find.

Who Did It Best: We're waiting for Judd Apatow's biopic send-off Walk Hard starring John C. Reilly, due out later this year. Paul Rudd plays John Lennon. Jack Black plays Paul McCartney. We're not too worried about any of the other details of this film.

Who Did It Worst: Ray. He played piano and did a whole lot of drugs. We get it. This movie would have been perfect if it hadn't been needlessly dragged out for almost three goddamn hours. Also, this movie has made it increasingly difficult to sell our script, Blind Fury 4: The Stevie Wonder Story.

Why It Needs To Stop: Ambitious star makes big, finds coke, hits rock bottom, climbs back to the top. Is there one musician who didn't follow this format? There's got to be at least one. Let's make that movie and break up the monotony a little bit.

#2. Father Is Wronged by Gang; Kills Entire Planet

Who's Doing It Next: Before the summer ends, look for Kevin Bacon in Death Sentence, the story of a man who loses his son to a murderous gang and spends the remaining 85 minutes of the movie murdering every single gang member, reminding us that enough wrongs will eventually make a right. Spoiler Alert: John Goodman is in this movie. As a matter of fact, he's the underground crime boss, so you have to figure that this entire film is just leading up to a riveting final fight scene that pits Kevin Bacon against John Goodman. That is the exciting conclusion. Footloose vs. Roseanne. No matter who wins, we all lose.

Hopefully we've saved you some time and money.

Who Did It Best: It was a tough call between Man on Fire and Death Wish, but we're giving it to the latter for it's slightly more totally insane approach. Sure, Denzel was undeniably badass and efficient with his killing spree, but he only brought justice to those who directly wronged him. Death Wish, however, has Charles Bronson killing the rapists who killed his wife, criminals who want to mug him and, finally, other jerks that just look like they some day might think about mugging someone. For blurring the line between vengeance and genocide, (venocide), Death Wish takes this one home.

Who Did It Worst: Surprisingly enough, Death Wish III. Bronson is pretty deep into his 60s and clearly can't even remember why he started murdering nameless carjackers to begin with. Sure, there's an assload of chasing and bloodshed, but his heart's just not in it anymore.

Why It Needs To Stop: Two weeks after Death Sentence disappoints you at the box office, Jodie Foster comes out with The Brave One, the story of a woman who—you guessed it—sets out on a revenge-focused murder buffet after her husband is killed. Two movies. Two weeks. One plot. Oh, except this time it's a woman. So it's different.

#1. Put Robin Williams in a Comedy, Sit Back and Let Him Work His Magic

Who's Doing It Next: Old Dogs, starring Robin Williams and John Travolta, presumably as the titular "old dogs" who find themselves taking care of twin seven-year-olds, probably having to learn some "new tricks" along the way. We can only hope that the seven-year-olds are played by the Wayans brothers, leading to whacky hi-jinks that amuse the audience until a violent gang murders the children, sending Williams and Travolta on a murderous rampage. With Williams being a real-life coke addicted parody of himself, we're pretty sure Old Dogs would have all of the bases covered.

Who Did It Best: Death to Smoochy. The rest of the ensemble more than makes up for Williams' unsettling hamming. Also, Williams has never been more at home than with the role of a pathetic, washed-up actor that everyone pities.

Who Did It Worst: Our toughest call on this entire list. Here, there are just so many awful movies. Well, License to Wed is currently fizzling at your local theater. According to the previews, and the previews are as much of this movie as anyone we know will see, Williams screams and does bad impressions but, this time, wears a Priest costume. Beyond that, there's Flubber, and we don't want to forget Man of the Year or Patch 'Motherfucking' Adams. In the end, we feel pretty good about RV because it featured both Robin Williams and a car full of annoying kids.

Why It Needs To Stop: We're at a total loss for the best Robin Williams comedy. Mrs. Doubtfire maybe? He threw a piece of fruit at Pierce Brosnan in that one. That's gotta stand for something, right? Aladdin gets points because we don't ever actually have to see Williams once, though the same five or six impressions he's been doing his entire career are everywhere. Without a standout winner, it is reasonable to conclude, then, that this formula has never once worked, which is astounding considering it's been used for close to 30 years and shows no signs of stopping.
Old 07-25-07, 11:15 AM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 1,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this yesterday, good stuff.
Old 07-25-07, 11:17 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Along the same lines:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507208
Old 07-25-07, 11:23 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Pretty good list.
Old 07-25-07, 12:22 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add matthew mcconahey running after girls movie
Old 07-25-07, 12:39 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Inspired by the "What Movie Theme Turns you off?" thread.

#1 on that list indeed needs to stop, NOW!
Old 07-25-07, 01:26 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who Did It Best: We're waiting for Judd Apatow's biopic send-off Walk Hard starring John C. Reilly, due out later this year. Paul Rudd plays John Lennon. Jack Black plays Paul McCartney. We're not too worried about any of the other details of this film.

Worst. Casting. Ever.
Seriously, this movie sounds awful.

Did they not see Walk the Line?
Old 07-25-07, 01:34 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a comedy movie, and those are cameos.
Old 07-25-07, 01:36 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
http://www.cracked.com/index.php?nam...=2262&pageid=1
#5. Psychotic Little Kids Terrorize Adults

Why It Needs To Stop: Because there is not a single nine-year-old on the planet who could take us in hand-to-hand combat, though we welcome any and all challengers.
Good list.
Old 07-25-07, 01:59 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know I'm not alone in my hatred for anything having to do with Robin Williams.
Old 07-25-07, 02:45 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny, because I loved Death to Smoochy but it was critically hated. Something about a crack-abusing, cursing guy in a purple suit...it was just too amusing.
Old 07-25-07, 04:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree with them on The Good Son. I thought that was horrible, and no way is it better than the original Village of the Damned, or even The Children.
Old 07-25-07, 05:01 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
http://www.cracked.com/index.php?nam...=2262&pageid=1


Who's Doing It Next: Joshua brings us a little boy who, when his new sister shows up, absolutely loses his shit and starts tearing apart his toys, killing his pets and possibly plotting to murder his entire family. It's almost like The Good Son, except for the fact that it's exactly like The Good Son.

Who Did It Best: The Good Son. There's just something so damn creepy about Macaulay Culkin and that, in conjunction with his complete inability to express emotions, makes the role of a cold-hearted, murderous asshole the only one he's ever been right for. Those soulless shark eyes of his...

They obviously never saw The Bad Seed. The Good Son is a rip off of that film.
Old 07-25-07, 06:01 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,258
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
#6. Ultra-Masculine Action Star Gets Stuck With Small Child or Children

Who Did It Worst: The Pacifier.
Worse than Hulk Hogan in Mr. Nanny?
Old 07-25-07, 06:36 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,180
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
#3 has bothered me for years. They're all the same. Hell, at this point almost all biopics bother me to some extent.
Old 07-25-07, 07:30 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who Did It Worst: Ray. He played piano and did a whole lot of drugs. We get it. This movie would have been perfect if it hadn't been needlessly dragged out for almost three goddamn hours. Also, this movie has made it increasingly difficult to sell our script, Blind Fury 4: The Stevie Wonder Story.

Old 07-25-07, 11:01 PM
  #17  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent list. Much better than I expected when I read the title.

Another theme that has to stop is cool kids with clueless and/or stupid parents.
Old 07-26-07, 12:51 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the sports movie about the small team that comes up from nothing with a winning, but quirky, unexpected coach to win the big game at the last minute isn't even a formula? It just..."is"...?
Old 07-26-07, 01:46 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
#5. Psychotic Little Kids Terrorize Adults

Why It Needs To Stop: Because there is not a single nine-year-old on the planet who could take us in hand-to-hand combat, though we welcome any and all challengers. Is a third-grader hinting at suffocating a member of your family? Uppercut that smirk right off his little face and give him some chores. It's called parenting, folks.
But what if there was a lot of them? How many could you take at once? Oh yeah, and they have lightsabers and you have adamantium claws.
Old 07-26-07, 02:13 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Did they not see Walk the Line?
They did, which is partially why they made a parody of such biopics.

Of course they saw that movie. Most of us have, in fact, even if we didn't see the version of the story with Johnny Cash.

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
But what if there was a lot of them? How many could you take at once? Oh yeah, and they have lightsabers and you have adamantium claws.
Duh. Superman's in the movie, and what good are lightsabers against Mark Hamill?
Before you say it, he has TWO hands.
Old 07-26-07, 09:18 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,475
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
#2. Father Is Wronged by Gang; Kills Entire Planet

Hey I like those movies
Old 08-24-07, 10:02 PM
  #22  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 32,956
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
#2. Father Is Wronged by Gang; Kills Entire Planet

Hey I like those movies
Especially when it was made by Bergman and called The Virgin Spring.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.