Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jonah Hex - news, rumors, castings

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jonah Hex - news, rumors, castings

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 03:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Jonah Hex - news, rumors, castings

This has "crap" written all over it.

I'll stick with High Plains Drifter.
Old 06-18-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deadline Hollywood is already saying Jonah Hex will end up with around $8.5 mil for the weekend.
Old 06-18-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Deadline Hollywood is already saying Jonah Hex will end up with around $8.5 mil for the weekend.
Based on how terrible it looks I'm actually surprised it's doing that well.
Old 06-18-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Not one of you will see it? What if the critics are wrong? What if instead of crap we get halfway decent or better than expected?
Old 06-18-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw it today at a 5 pm showing and was the only one in the theater. Truly awful movie. Not a single line of original dialogue. I cannot believe Neveldine/Taylor actually wrote this. Crank, Crank 2 and Gamer were chock-full of snappy and funny dialogue. Either thier script was butchered by team of uncredited script "doctors" or Neveldine/Taylor must've been extremely ham-strung writing a PG-13 script.
Old 06-18-10, 08:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ dare I ask how much did you spend seeing this movie, for that amount of money and that amount of time, I could think of a dozen more interesting things to do with 72 minutes of my time, how many minutes of trailers were there - 30??
Old 06-18-10, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
^ dare I ask how much did you spend seeing this movie, for that amount of money and that amount of time, I could think of a dozen more interesting things to do with 72 minutes of my time, how many minutes of trailers were there - 30??
There was 15 minutes of trailers including an awesome new trailer for the upcoming Resident Evil movie, which had more substance than all of Jonah Hex. I used a Prestige(Showcase Cinemas) pass I had received for Christmas.
Old 06-18-10, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Robert
There was 15 minutes of trailers including an awesome new trailer for the upcoming Resident Evil movie, which had more substance than all of Jonah Hex. I used a Prestige(Showcase Cinemas) pass I had received for Christmas.
"I pardon you my child"
Old 06-18-10, 11:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Armond White loved the film, so that should tell you all you need to know.
Old 06-18-10, 11:50 PM

^ why does that NOT surprise me
Old 06-19-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, when I heard about this I wanted it to be good really badly...it's a great comic and I love the western fusion of it all. Then I heard they cast that stupid whore Megan Fox and I knew it would suck. turns out it sucks worse than her. Her suckiness is somehow magnified in it all. Just terrible. Which is sad, because in the right hand and without that stupid twat it could have been good. So it goes.
Old 06-19-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I'll just keep on reading my old Jonah Hex comics from the 1970s and try to pretend this never happened I think.
That's really the only option here....i'm glad I still have mine.
Old 06-19-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So will this finally put a nail in the coffin of that Nevildine hack as well? If we could get him and Fox to get a car wreck together, the world of Cinema would rejoice.
Old 06-19-10, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
Man, when I heard about this I wanted it to be good really badly...it's a great comic and I love the western fusion of it all. Then I heard they cast that stupid whore Megan Fox and I knew it would suck. turns out it sucks worse than her. Her suckiness is somehow magnified in it all. Just terrible. Which is sad, because in the right hand and without that stupid twat it could have been good. So it goes.

I was watching some scene in Transformers 2 over at Best Buy yesterday, and her attempt at acting was painful to say the least, the way she contorted her face and everything looked so unnatural and just plain awful - whoever said she could act must have had horse poo in their eye - she's like the new Tara Reid - no brain, just looks (but thats debatable in my book)
Old 06-19-10, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
So will this finally put a nail in the coffin of that Nevildine hack as well? If we could get him and Fox to get a car wreck together, the world of Cinema would rejoice.
and throw in that hack of a director who made that new unnessary (sp) (- it's too late to spellcheck and I'm being lazy) 'Nightmare on Elm Street' remake into that car as well.
Old 06-19-10, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Marvels done some pretty mediocre movies, but off the top of my head DC seems to have the knack for the out and out disaster (Batman & Robin, Superman IV, Catwoman...)

It really is amazing right? I mean Marvel has dropped some truly bad films, but none seem as pure camp or meme material as some of DC's bombs.

Also nICE to see you.
Old 06-19-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Jonah Hex comics of the past few years has been absolutely phenomenal. At least we still have that (all 3 people that actually read it).
Old 06-19-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I bought the first two tpb of the new Jonah Hex series after hearing all the positive buzz about them.

They couldn't have been more mediocre if they tried, in the grand tradition of "great ideas but bad writing". Sometimes the writing was so terrible characters would be off doing things for no reason because the narrative failed to demonstrate what their motivations were or what story mechanics directed their actions. Just plain dopey, average, forgettable comics.

Garth Ennis is the only one who should be writing Jonah Hex.
Old 06-19-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I bought the first two tpb of the new Jonah Hex series after hearing all the positive buzz about them.

They couldn't have been more mediocre if they tried, in the grand tradition of "great ideas but bad writing". Sometimes the writing was so terrible characters would be off doing things for no reason because the narrative failed to demonstrate what their motivations were or what story mechanics directed their actions. Just plain dopey, average, forgettable comics.

Garth Ennis is the only one who should be writing Jonah Hex.
The book gets much better after the first two trades, if you don't get what the character's motivations are, then you probably shouldn't be reading Jonah Hex, because even in the first two trades, they are rather obvious & quite true to the classic Hex series. Ennis is always the typical answer every comic book geek says to write Hex (well its a western & its dark, so lets have Ennis write it) but I think it would be an awful choice as he would take the character way too over the top.
Old 06-19-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
The book gets much better after the first two trades, if you don't get what the character's motivations are, then you probably shouldn't be reading Jonah Hex, because even in the first two trades, they are rather obvious & quite true to the classic Hex series. Ennis is always the typical answer every comic book geek says to write Hex (well its a western & its dark, so lets have Ennis write it) but I think it would be an awful choice as he would take the character way too over the top.
Bad writing is bad writing. I'm VERY familiar with classic Hex, both the original comics and even the cheesy "Hex in the future" stories. I know the character well. It's the writing that made it mediocre; it's often choppy and amateurish, but then again I was never a big Palmiotti and Gray fan anyhow.

And the reason fans want Ennis is because he has a knack for both these types of anti-heroes and Westerns.
Old 06-19-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seen it today, It was good not great but very entertaining....
Old 06-19-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the filmmakers were afraid of people falling asleep at this film, so they insisted on blowing stuff up on-screen at regular intervals, regardless if it was called upon to move the overall hacked up plot for its rather short running time of 72 minutes (discounting the end credits). Overall, a very easily forgettable movie of a very minor comic book character who didn't need the cinematic treatment, not over many other comic book characters warrant such treatment for the big screen before this character.

I give it 1 star, or a grade of D.

Last edited by Patman; 06-19-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Jonah Hex, if done right, totally would've been a good western. I've yet to see the movie but I'm sure I wouldn't like it, has anyone read the original script for this thing? Was it butchered, was it different and possibly better than what we have now for a movie?
Old 06-19-10, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I don't buy the line that he was a minor character and therefore a film was unwarranted; Blade wasn't the biggest thing out there in Marvel land, at least not that I know of, and yet that was a great fun movie.

I totally agree that a good Jonah Hex film could have been made and I'm not even familiar with the comics or know more than just a cursory bit of his background.
Old 06-19-10, 09:40 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by gmanca
Yeah, I don't buy the line that he was a minor character and therefore a film was unwarranted; Blade wasn't the biggest thing out there in Marvel land, at least not that I know of, and yet that was a great fun movie.

I totally agree that a good Jonah Hex film could have been made and I'm not even familiar with the comics or know more than just a cursory bit of his background.
Yeah, wasn't Blade was a supporting character of a 3rd tier title?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.