Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Open to interpretation vs. Incoherent mess

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Open to interpretation vs. Incoherent mess

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jessecrx
Wow, what a juicy topic!

First movie that comes to mind is Eyes Wide Shut

I remember reading a post about a year ago about the possibilities and it blew my mind.
That was my post!

Yeah, Eyes Wide Shut is one of my all-time favorite Kubrick films since it lends itself so well to multiple viewings.

Funny how some people mention Memento and American Psycho. Personally, I think the ending is so obvious there is actually nothing open to interpretation.

What I don't like is when directors try the "incoherent mess" angle to end a film, in a cheap attempt to spark discussion about it and get people to talk about how brilliant it was. I'm sorry, but I feel there is a fine line between open to interpretation vs. incoherent mess, and an incoherent mess is not brilliant.

I also think there are situations where people see things in movies that they want to see, but it isn't actually there, nor was it ever intended by the director. I have a cozy interpretation of Mulholland Drive that allows me to sleep at night, but I doubt if even David Lynch can truly explain aspects of this movie.
Old 07-18-07, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I just watched Barton Fink and I really don't know what the hell to think of that other than I didn't really like it. The more theories and interpretations I read about the movie (and there are MANY) the more I think it's just deliberately an incoherent mess... Anybody care to weigh in on what they think about this movie?
Old 07-18-07, 04:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, I will weigh in.

It's an awesome movie.

"I will show you the eye of the mind!"
Old 07-18-07, 05:40 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Barton Fink is a masterpiece.
Old 07-18-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Spoiler:
I always assumed Pink got away until I read a post here that mentioned he was shot by the cops after he left. After watcing it again you can clearly hear cops screaming and then more gunfire. So I'm not so sure he got away. Although I like to think it's a Hollywood inside joke to allow Steve Buscemi to escape at the end of every one of his films...
Spoiler:

So that wasn't him in the woodchipper then? Or being spread over the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which he loved so well?