Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled J.J. Abrams Project "Cloverfield" 1-18-08 Thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled J.J. Abrams Project "Cloverfield" 1-18-08 Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerkfacemike
No..."Lost" does not...you're right....BUT...J.J. Abrams movie is out in 6 months and the show goes on for another 3 years. Do you think if this movie was a box office disaster that people would wait around for a "craptacular" ending to J.J. Abram's show???? I love "Lost" and I love gigantic monsters. If "Cloverfield" did not show a monster or it turns our to be a giant worm (ala Tremors), do you really think people will expect a spectacular ending to "Lost"?

Does the movie directly have anything to do with "Lost"....ABSOLUTELY NOT. Does the success of "Cloverfield" affect the success of "Lost" over the next three years...most definitely.

Tell me this. If I was a chef and was hyping up a restaurant I was opening in a year and you ate food I made that was horrible (or even say mediocre) would you think of going to my restaurant when it opened????

I believe the movie will satisfy and the show will have a great ending. I like Abrams' style. Everyone loves a good mystery.
JJ Abarms is just producing this flick and he has very little to do with Lost anymore. I think you're streching a bit.
Old 07-30-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mission Impossible 3 was total crap. Yet I still watch Lost.
Old 07-30-07, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad analogy. If you were a chef who had shown consistently great and exciting food in the past, then yes, I would give you a second chance.
Point taken. Maybe that was a bad analogy. You're right, I myself would probably still watch Lost even if this thing tanked. I just hope it doesn't...we haven't had a real good "bigger-than-life" monster movie in a while.

I wonder if the film is successful, Hollywood jumps on the "monster" bandwagon again. It happens with slasher flick all the time. When one appears in the theater so do two or three others right afterwards.
Old 07-30-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jerkfacemike
No..."Lost" does not...you're right....BUT...J.J. Abrams movie is out in 6 months and the show goes on for another 3 years. Do you think if this movie was a box office disaster that people would wait around for a "craptacular" ending to J.J. Abram's show???? I love "Lost" and I love gigantic monsters. If "Cloverfield" did not show a monster or it turns our to be a giant worm (ala Tremors), do you really think people will expect a spectacular ending to "Lost"?

Does the movie directly have anything to do with "Lost"....ABSOLUTELY NOT. Does the success of "Cloverfield" affect the success of "Lost" over the next three years...most definitely.

Tell me this. If I was a chef and was hyping up a restaurant I was opening in a year and you ate food I made that was horrible (or even say mediocre) would you think of going to my restaurant when it opened????

I believe the movie will satisfy and the show will have a great ending. I like Abrams' style. Everyone loves a good mystery.
This makes no sense at all. He has a proven track record with the show. Lost fans aren't going to give a shit if the movie bombs. It will have absolutely no effect on the show.
Old 07-30-07, 06:45 PM

If you read my last post...

Point taken. Maybe that was a bad analogy. You're right, I myself would probably still watch Lost even if this thing tanked. I just hope it doesn't...we haven't had a real good "bigger-than-life" monster movie in a while.
I reconsidered after I reading Seantn's response:

Bad analogy. If you were a chef who had shown consistently great and exciting food in the past, then yes, I would give you a second chance.
I always think of M. Night Shyamalan...I loved Sixth Sense, liked Unbreakable, was so-so about Signs, hated The Village. I would not pay to watch another M. Night Shyamalan movie. I know alot of other people who feel the same. "Lost" is an established show and J.J. Abrams has already established himself. Even if "Cloverfield" flops...he'll recover fine.

I have seen the error of my words.
Old 07-30-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Not sure (and I don't feel like reading every reply in this thread) but did anyone post this yet: http://www.dtheatre.com/read.php?sid=4192

I'm having fun with this, granted I'm not geeking out as hardcore as most of you are but I haven't had this much fun with a flick in a while - love the anticipation. Even it sucks, what their doing is pretty damn cool.

Also, if you look at the pic on apples site, you will see a claw mark on the statue of liberty - I didn't catch that in the smaller photos.
Old 07-30-07, 07:47 PM

I'm a J.J fan.

Felicity was at its best when he was heavily involved (first 2 seasons, end of the 4th season).

Alias was it's best in the first 2 seasons (again when he was most heavily involved).

Lost was good for about the first half of the first season (he left to work on Mission Impossible III and hasn't had much of a hand in the show as people think).

His screenplay for Joy Ride was also very good, and the movie turned out fairly decent. Many blasted it as a Scream rip-off, but it certainly was not. He and Matt Reeves wrote a creepy screenplay.

I have faith that this movie will be very eerie, and will leave us wanting more.

J.J. Abrams knows this and doles those answers out like "crumbs to the hungry", giving people just enough to leave them wanting more. PURE GENIUS!!!
I guess, but ALIAS suffered when he took too long to answer anything... and let's be honest, the payoffs provided weren't all that impressive.

IMHO, LOST suffers from the same thing. Too much hype about what's going on... and I fear the resulting "reveal" of all the answers will leave a lot of people thinking "They made most of that up as they went along..."

The good thing about this project is that it's more or less just clever marketing. This film isn't going to answer 10,000 questions about the marketing... LOST suffers from not revealing answers because the whole show is built upon a question. This movie is a monster movie, and thus... the biggest question is "What the heck is the monster? What happens in this film?"

All of that is going to get answered when we WATCH said film... thus... I think JJ and co. will deliver big-time.
Old 07-30-07, 07:58 PM

I also thought the ripple in the water implied the creature had already swum across and made said "hole" in the buildings and is currently terrorizing the city.

I still can't believe some of the thoughts of people regarding this movie... there was a HUGE debate (still is) about what the creature is... and there are people insisting that it's a huge lion...

"OMG, if you watch the trailer this dude goes "It's a lion and it's huge!""
When the response was "Um, he says "It's alive, and it's huge." They reply was "Why would someone say it's alive? Obviously it's alive if it's moving! They're calling it a lion!" Also, why would you call something ALIVE unless it was dead already!? Maybe it's something everyone thought was dead that came back to life!"

Um... living in NYC and having explosions and stuff occur... I'm 99% sure most people would assume it was a bomb of some kind... so why wouldn't someone scream "It's alive! And it's HUGE!" regarding what the threat was? Most people on the street screaming likely thought it was some kind of terrorist attack, and the character is clarifying that it's something living that's tearing apart the city...

I mean, who in their right might would think people would pay to see a film about a giant LION roaming down 42nd street..?
Old 07-30-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
The good thing about this project is that it's more or less just clever marketing. This film isn't going to answer 10,000 questions about the marketing... LOST suffers from not revealing answers because the whole show is built upon a question. This movie is a monster movie, and thus... the biggest question is "What the heck is the monster? What happens in this film?"
They've actually revealed a lot on Lost lately, not what smokey is, but many other aspects of the show. Sure the big mysteries are still there, but the speculation is half the fun, and that remains true for whatever this ultimately turns out to be.

As an argument in another thread (or was it on IRC), its, imo, almost as much fun, if not more, discussing the movies than the movies themselves.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-30-07 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 08:12 PM

Oh, I'm right there with ya. This movie has been such a joy to discuss with a lot of people.

People keep telling me to give LOST another chance. I think it's something I might fly through in a few years (on DVD), but after 2 full seasons I pretty much gave up. I saw the same thing happening that happened on ALIAS, where they'd ignore previous "questions" and forget about it...

I guess that's why I'm so interested in this film... with 2 hours or so JJ can likely give us a solid well written story. I just feel like when he's got 6 seasons worth of content it's hard to juggle so much.
Old 07-30-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lost pretty much revealed everything in last year's finale. Well, not everything but the huge questions, they certainly answered.
Old 07-31-07, 04:20 PM

If you really think about the trailer

"I saw it, its alive, and its huge"

Doesnt make sense. If he knew "It" was alive than it was obviously something he knew or saw beforehand.
Old 07-31-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Mission Impossible 3 was total crap. .

Wrong. MI 3 was easily the best of the 3.
Old 07-31-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Wrong. MI 3 was easily the best of the 3.
It was the only decent one of the three as it actually had the teamwork feel the other two missed out on.
Old 07-31-07, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Layziebones

Doesnt make sense. If he knew "It" was alive than it was obviously something he knew or saw beforehand.
I don't follow your logic.
Old 07-31-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw a dog today that was alive and huge at that.I had never seen this dog before but I knew it was alive not previously seeing it ever in my life.

He is just stating that what he saw was alive and huge.I guess you could say he just being informative! Telling people that they should really be scared shitless!

Last edited by VHS?; 07-31-07 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-31-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesnt make sense. If he knew "It" was alive than it was obviously something he knew or saw beforehand
Yeah, when people are in a mad panic and running for their lives, they should really stop to make sure what they're saying makes full sense.
Old 07-31-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you even know he hasn't seen it beforehand. You haven't seen the film yet.

He probably hasn't seen it before but lets not overanalyze things and lets chalk it up as him being scared shitless and not thinking about making sense.
Old 08-01-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just wonder how the backs of the pictures on the site will be helpful in figuring things out.So far I cant see anything in the two that have any type of clue other than seeing names.
Old 08-01-07, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
How do you even know he hasn't seen it beforehand. You haven't seen the film yet.

He probably hasn't seen it before but lets not overanalyze things and lets chalk it up as him being scared shitless and not thinking about making sense.

Its obvious that its alive. But he would have been referring to something they knew about in order for him to say "Its' Alive."
Old 08-01-07, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, lets see...big explosion in the middle of New York City that destroyed a ton of buildings and causes people to be running in panic.... Makes sense to me to say "It's Alive!", maybe to alert people that it's not another terrorist attack ala 9/11, and they should run for their fucking lives.
Old 08-01-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about just the fact that he saw it and could say 'hey, it's alive'
You don't need to see something beforehand to know whether it is alive or not.
Go to the Zoo and look at an animal you have never seen before in your life and see if you can see that it is alive or not.

Put it this way.He looked in the direction of the chaos, saw this thing moving about and thrashing shit.I think from that observation he could determine that whatever it was, was alive.No need to see or know about beforehand.
Not understanding why this is so hard to understand and why it is even being debated?
Old 08-01-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some on the set videos.Not much but whatever...
They are all in this users account HERE

The Slusho.jp site is fully functional now and has some interesting things.
Old 08-01-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not understanding why this is so hard to understand and why it is even being debated?
Was about to say the same thing. Somebody is over analyzing this way too much.
Old 08-12-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Caught this in my Google Reader Apple feed:

1-18-08 - Teaser
No synopsis provided by the studio.
Directed by: Matt Reeves
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Jack Black, Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Turturro

Is that really the cast? Or is it just a misprint on the feed for another flick?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.