Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Live Free or Die Hard"...the reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Live Free or Die Hard"...the reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the name of the song/video that justin Long waslistening to when Bruce Willis came to his apartment? It
was a heavy metal chick band. Sounded a little like Kittie, but I was unfamilar with the song and didn't see them listed in the credits. Love the metal chick bands!!!
Old 07-05-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcolon
What is the name of the song/video that justin Long waslistening to when Bruce Willis came to his apartment? It
was a heavy metal chick band. Sounded a little like Kittie, but I was unfamilar with the song and didn't see them listed in the credits. Love the metal chick bands!!!
Just off the top of my head, I think it was Flyleaf. Not 100% sure.
Old 07-05-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts
Sounded like Flyleaf to me, too.
Old 07-05-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flyleaf all the way.
Old 07-05-07, 09:39 PM

Saw it today, thought it was a good summer popcorn flick. IMO not nearly as good as alot people on here think.
Old 07-05-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it a lot more than Transformers, which I ended up seeing today. I was kinda expecting more "car" action from Transformers, that I actually got from Live Free or Die Hard.
Old 07-05-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Just off the top of my head, I think it was Flyleaf. Not 100% sure.

Cool. Thanks guys, I will have to check them out.
Old 07-06-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
It sure looked that way, but anyways, I would imagine she would be real messed up smashing into things all the way through the building to the elevator shaft. Combine that with McClane beating her up before that...I don't think she would be flipping around and jumping all around with no sign of injuries. Still...its a movie, no big deal.

Come on, if movies were completely real they would be awfully boring.
Immediately after the crash you can see her left leg come up. And while it's not a very good argument, she's entirely on the hood the whole ride there, so technically it's the car smashing into things on the way to the elevator shaft. That, however, doesn't mean she didn't get NAILED by the car at the very beginning...the kind of thing which would stop a lot of people from flipping and jumping around.
Old 07-06-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, this movie was boring! Perhaps explosions just don't demand my attention the way they used to? Regardless, it doesn't hurt the franchise but it was still an unnecessary addition.
Old 07-06-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok .. just saw it .. really liked it, but would have liked it more if it wasn't for the massive editing snafu right after the
Spoiler:
gas explosion
. When Willis is talking about winning, there were some nasty cuts, and numerous times when Long's character is obviously talking in the back, but we are hearing (and seeing) Willis talking.

Also, there is one point when Willis and Long stop for a scene and then take off running, only to come around a corner right back to where they were to begin with (the sign on the window was the same)

I loved the reference to DH (Agent Johnson) gave me a little laugh.

I would hope that this does well enough to warrant another film. Perhaps allowing McTiernan (sp) to close out the series. Finally let John retire and settle down somewhere in peace. Also, bring back Powell or Thornberg. John doesn't need to get back with his wife, just to have one last round of ass-kicking before hanging up the badge and vanishing for good.

Last edited by A-aron; 07-06-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 03:56 AM

I just saw the new commercial for Live Free or Die Hard on tv, and it actually uses the Die Hard song. Kudos to Guyz Nite!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YqT3x3hXJ8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YqT3x3hXJ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Full length song, for those who haven't seen it:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OTyw6cq86kY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OTyw6cq86kY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 07-07-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That song rocks!
Old 07-07-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts
Wow. This was a great movie. I don't see how anyone couldn't enjoy it. Saw it last night and was blown away. There were some terrible edits where you could see it was supposed to be R which sucked, but what can you do. The worst of which was Long being dubbed and the audio not going with his lip movement. Only other 'minor' thing that bugged me was Lucy's age. She was what, five in the first film? That would put her at about 25 for this film which didn't appear to be the case.

It got pretty absurd towards the end with the jet, but it was definitely a fun ride and have no major complaints. Absolutely loved the "agent Johnson" line, a musical cue from the first film, Lucy undecided on her last name and Lucy telling McClane there were only 5 guys left.

My only real complaint was the climax. It seemed a bit rushed in the hanger when Willis showed up.

I will definitely be picking up the R or unrated DVD. Great flick.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-07-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-07-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Only other 'minor' thing that bugged me was Lucy's age. She was what, five in the first film? That would put her at about 25 for this film which didn't appear to be the case.
Well, the girl that played the original Lucy was born in August 1981. So she was probably 6 when that movie was filmed. This movie is 19 years later, so you're about right.
Old 07-07-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts
Just saw it last night. Liked it a lot. I liked DH1 & 2, not 3. Airplane scene at end a bit unbelievable, but what action film doesn't have a little unbelievable stuff in it.
Old 07-07-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The girl that played this Lucy was born in '84, it's not that big of a difference.
Old 07-07-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, there was also some KILLER camera work in this film. The chase scene with the helicopter had one sweeping move that blew me away.
Old 07-07-07, 04:46 PM

not so bad considering this is the 4th series... usually they stop being a good movies right after the 1st

the beginning was alright... then it gets better... the jet thingy reminds me alot of True Lies... too bad. it makes the movie less original in away

but overall, much better than any summer blockbuster this yar... so far...

Last edited by RedCock2005; 07-07-07 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RedCock2005

the beginning was alright... then it gets better... the jet thingy reminds me alot of True Lies... too bad. it makes the movie less original in away
Definitely. The elevator shaft had a Lost World vibe to it.
Old 07-07-07, 07:45 PM

Heh, True Lies really cemented the concept of having an epic battle with a jet didn't it?

Last year it was MI3 that was getting the True Lies comparisons due to the entire bridge sequence.
Old 07-08-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
I enjoyed everything but the retarded sequence w/ the F-35.

***1/2 out of five.
Old 07-08-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
I enjoyed everything but the retarded sequence w/ the F-35.

***1/2 out of five.
Agreed. That was stupid. I also was annoyed at the "I thought your name was Gennaro" explanation. Her using the McClane name should have been enough. It's insulting to spell it out like that. Everything else was a lot better than I expected, even if everything even remotely related to technology was absurd. There is some seriously badass camera work in this one. The audio looping was hilariously bad, though. Stupid PG-13 edit. I had a better time at this than I did Transformers.

das

Edit: still love that song. "And we know what the basic gist is: there ain't no Alan, and it's not Christmas."

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-08-07 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Edit: still love that song. "And we know what the basic gist is: there ain't no Alan, and it's not Christmas."
I am still personally hoping for the video to appear as an extra on the DVD. I mean, with it being used during some of the more recent television ads, people are aware of it.
Old 07-08-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
Saw this today, enjoyed it a lot, except for that stupid jet sequence.

Always good to see the cast of District B13 getting work.
Old 07-08-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Agreed. That was stupid. I also was annoyed at the "I thought your name was Gennaro" explanation. Her using the McClane name should have been enough. It's insulting to spell it out like that. Everything else was a lot better than I expected, even if everything even remotely related to technology was absurd. There is some seriously badass camera work in this one. The audio looping was hilariously bad, though. Stupid PG-13 edit.
My eyes rolled to the back of my head during the name explanation.

And the looping was awful during a few scenes - I thought I was watching the Turner cut or something.

Negatives aside - it was still far and away better than I ever thought it would be.

My dad rolled his eyes and made a snide remark about the Hollywoodization of the top secret data facility. He enjoyed himself as well, apart from the infamous jet sequence.

Last edited by B.A.; 07-08-07 at 09:57 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.