Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Crow

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i still believe that the movie is pretty damn good. Its one of the better comic book adaptations, and is worth picking up the DVD just to watch the interview with James O'Barr. Is it just me or does he seem to be a genuinely fucked up guy in real life? I guess when you lose the love of your life like he did it leaves a lasting effect.
Old 06-19-07, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
First you complain he can't be killed. Then when someone points out you're wrong and that infact, he can be harmed and killed, you complain about that. That, I think is pretty stupid. The whole him being tied to the crow is a central theme from the comics.
I'm "complaining" that he is invincible through almost the entire movie, as I originally said. The stupid crow thing at the end doesn't magically make the rest of the movie enjoyable for me. He still can't effectively be harmed through most of the movie as far as anyone knows, and I don't think it's fun to watch. You disagree. Good for you.

Originally Posted by Dead
MechanicalMan, personal attacks are against forum rules. If you can't discuss the topic without insulting other members, then please just don't post in the thread.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I know we are going in circles as you have your mind set on a movie you haven't seen in a dozen years but Draven and Shelly were killed the night before their wedding. Wouldn't that piss you off a bit? Piss you off enough to get a little enjoyment out of killing the people that did that to you and your fiance?
I wouldn't be very happy about it, obviously, but I don't believe that it would completely change my personality. I just think it's too inconsistent, and I don't like undead Draven very much.

edit: Expanding on my last comment... I'm not a huge fan of revenge fantasy movies in general, but I can enjoy them if I think they are done reasonably well. In movies like Kill Bill, Get Carter, Rolling Thunder, etc., the characters are hardened badasses before the event that inspires the revenge. Eric Draven is a meek, lovesick guy who becomes a sadistic killer after the event. Yes, what happened to him was awful, but I still think the evolution is silly.

Last edited by MechanicalMan; 06-19-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I loved, and still do, the first one. But the three after that were pretty much crap. Especially Salvation.
Old 06-19-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's coming out on DVD July 24th. And once you get past the first few episodes, which was a recreation of the movie, then it is pretty good.
And I got shivers seeing Mark Dacascos in it as he eerily looks a lot like Brandon without the make up.
Old 06-19-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I watch it every devil's night in honor of Brandon, plus I loved the movie.

And someone needs to thank their grandpa again, cause yes it was $100 at one point on VHS, like someone pointed out every release was like that back then.
Old 06-19-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
edit: Expanding on my last comment... I'm not a huge fan of revenge fantasy movies in general, but I can enjoy them if I think they are done reasonably well. In movies like Kill Bill, Get Carter, Rolling Thunder, etc., the characters are hardened badasses before the event that inspires the revenge. Eric Draven is a meek, lovesick guy who becomes a sadistic killer after the event. Yes, what happened to him was awful, but I still think the evolution is silly.
Fair enough, but you never know what people keep deep inside until something tragic happens.
Old 06-19-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Skull Cowboy didn't actually revoke Eric's powers. The deal with that character (in movie, given that in the comic he was just an illustration to express Eric's rage in a single panel) is that he was also reborn by the Crow but he chose to use his powers for reasons other than revenge and he ended up being damned to walk the earth ofr all time (this ties in to the alternate ending of The Crow: City Of Angels where the same happened to Ashe Corvin). He tries to guide Eric so that he wont make the same mistakes. He also warns Eric that he'll grow weaker each time he uses his powers to help someone. This is why he suddenly has his hands taped after he kills Funboy.

Remember when he squeezes the morphin out of Darla's arm? He was using his powers to do that. That's why (in another deleted scene) when Funboy suddenly gets up and attacks him with razor blade (that's why there was an establishinh shot of it falling to the ground earlier) he slices Eric's hands but they don't heal like they did when he swung from the window in the loft (the night he was awakened by the Crow and remembered his death). So he grabs some electrical tape from Funboy's apartment.

After the death of Skank, Eric is to be reunited with Shelly and he goes to the cemetery. That's when he see's the vision of Sarah being kidnapped and dragged into the church. He's supposed to choose to be with Shelley and just let whatever happens happen. Instead he chooses to save Sarah. That's when Skull Cowboy shows up one last time and warns Eric that he faces damnation if he interfiers. Eric ignores Skull Cowboy's warning and the Skull Cowboy fades away saying "choose and be damned". The film continues just like the theatrical cut after that point.
Old 06-20-07, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Skull Cowboy didn't actually revoke Eric's powers. The deal with that character (in movie, given that in the comic he was just an illustration to express Eric's rage in a single panel) is that he was also reborn by the Crow but he chose to use his powers for reasons other than revenge and he ended up being damned to walk the earth ofr all time (this ties in to the alternate ending of The Crow: City Of Angels where the same happened to Ashe Corvin). He tries to guide Eric so that he wont make the same mistakes. He also warns Eric that he'll grow weaker each time he uses his powers to help someone. This is why he suddenly has his hands taped after he kills Funboy.

Remember when he squeezes the morphin out of Darla's arm? He was using his powers to do that. That's why (in another deleted scene) when Funboy suddenly gets up and attacks him with razor blade (that's why there was an establishinh shot of it falling to the ground earlier) he slices Eric's hands but they don't heal like they did when he swung from the window in the loft (the night he was awakened by the Crow and remembered his death). So he grabs some electrical tape from Funboy's apartment.

After the death of Skank, Eric is to be reunited with Shelly and he goes to the cemetery. That's when he see's the vision of Sarah being kidnapped and dragged into the church. He's supposed to choose to be with Shelley and just let whatever happens happen. Instead he chooses to save Sarah. That's when Skull Cowboy shows up one last time and warns Eric that he faces damnation if he interfiers. Eric ignores Skull Cowboy's warning and the Skull Cowboy fades away saying "choose and be damned". The film continues just like the theatrical cut after that point.

Given how much I love this movie... I think those scenes would ROCK.!!
Old 06-20-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoyed the film. I remember sitting in Accounting class on March 31st (I believe) and it came in over the news that Brandon Lee passed away due to an on set accident. I do agree with others that the film did make more money due to his death.