Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the theater experience even really that great?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is the theater experience even really that great?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 02:56 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IDK, I guess for me to a large degree size is more important that PQ, so I don't worry to much about prime seats etc.

As long as I catch a showing that isn't packed with babies and teenagers, I always enjoy a movie more in the theater than I do in mine or anyone else's home theater.
Old 06-14-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
I'll never understand why people always add the price of concessions junk food and drinks to the price of going to the cinema.

Why do people HAVE to eat while watching a movie? I never buy that shit, and when I watch at home I also rarely eat anything as I want to focus on the movie.

So for me it runs $7-9.50 for a ticket, twice that if I'm paying for my g/f that time. More than reasonable for as much as I enjoy the experience.

Yes, a 100"+ screen in a home theater is great, but it can't match something like the Uptown theater in DC where the screen is 32' x 70'.

I think you have a valid argument there.
Old 06-14-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well like for me, I always pay for my wife... and it's $10 a ticket to see a movie where I'm at. That's STILL more money than it costs to actually purchase the thing on DVD and watch it as many times as I'll ever want for the rest of my life.

And yeah, the theaters have 32'x70' or whatever dimensions... but you're sitting a lot farther back from that screen so you have to take into accountability the percentage that picture is actually taking up from your field of vision. I bet you many people sit in a good enough range of their HDTV's at home to have a pretty similar experience... especially those people with projectors.
Old 06-14-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've watched demos for $50,000 Runco projectors and while they are mighty nice, it doesn't match being in a good theatre.

Now a bad theatre, I'd prefer seeing the movie on full-screen on a 5th-generation VHS dub on a 13" TV/VCR combo.
Old 06-17-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
We only go when it's an event movie, and it's opening night. Otherwise, we'll wait until it comes to dvd.

The biggest problem I have with theaters, minus the cost, is I can't kick back comfortably. Most of the time, there are people in front of me. Even when they aren't, it's still not all that comfortable.
Old 06-17-07, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
I'll never understand why people always add the price of concessions junk food and drinks to the price of going to the cinema.

Why do people HAVE to eat while watching a movie? I never buy that shit, and when I watch at home I also rarely eat anything as I want to focus on the movie.

So for me it runs $7-9.50 for a ticket, twice that if I'm paying for my g/f that time. More than reasonable for as much as I enjoy the experience.

Yes, a 100"+ screen in a home theater is great, but it can't match something like the Uptown theater in DC where the screen is 32' x 70'.

as much as i love popcorn and a soda, I often go and not get anything either. Bu i do love getting a medium popcorn with White Cheeder seasoning and medium soda.
Old 06-17-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
The biggest problem I have with theaters, minus the cost, is I can't kick back comfortably. Most of the time, there are people in front of me. Even when they aren't, it's still not all that comfortable.
Which is why I'm glad with the proliferation of stadium-seating theaters out here. The ONLY time I go to a non-theater-seating theater is when I want to see a movie in DLP and it's at a regular-seating theater.

Gotta love the clear view and the extra leg-room. Oh, and when you don't have neighbors, you can flip the armrests up and you have extra room on the sides.
Old 06-17-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While people complain they are too distracted in theaters, I personally find that I'm too distracted at home.
Old 06-17-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Which is why I'm glad with the proliferation of stadium-seating theaters out here. The ONLY time I go to a non-theater-seating theater is when I want to see a movie in DLP and it's at a regular-seating theater.

Gotta love the clear view and the extra leg-room. Oh, and when you don't have neighbors, you can flip the armrests up and you have extra room on the sides.
We have the same seating here.
Old 06-17-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
We have the same seating here.
Well, all I can say is maybe it's good that you can't get too comfortable... otherwise it'd be easy to doze off.
Old 06-17-07, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Corvin
While people complain they are too distracted in theaters, I personally find that I'm too distracted at home.

i am too, at the theater, i find myself forgetting about everything. when I walk out I am always relaxed.
Old 06-17-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
not to seem harsh but thats a little depressing if its one of the greatest joys. Sure seeing POC 3 really ranks up to when I saw Big Ben.
I really don't think he had POC 3 in mind when he wrote that
Old 06-17-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I live in a college town, I have a good time at the theaters.

Audience reaction at movies like Snakes on a Plane and Grindhouse definitely enhanced my enjoyment. I also enjoy crowds at most horror movies.

There are exceptions though, I saw Day Watch last night at a local arthouse theaters (gave it another shot, still a terrible movie, cool subtitles though), the screen was smallish, video was a little washed out, and the left channel on the audio blew out during the finale. All around, terrible experience, but at least the audience wasn't bad.

That said, I suppose it depends on where you live, here - it hasn't been bad at all, people mostly seem mature enough to handle themselves. Back in my hometown though, I had a sudden rush of why I hated going to the movies as the theater was full of idiotic kids with piss poor sound and the last time I went was for another pretty awful movie (Constantine).
Old 06-18-07, 09:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I really love the cinema.

me too!

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
That's true man, but have you noticed that basically NONE of the seats are really "prime seats"? Although, I admit, none of the seats are necessarily bad either. You do have to factor in proportionality as well. Sure, that screen is huge, but I'm maybe 100 feet or more from it. I'm 10-15 feet from my 100" screen. It looks plenty big .

I do love the Uptown, that's where I saw Grindhouse.
where'd you sit? I know most folk like the balcony, but I prefer the surround sound to surround me, not fired directly at my face... I prefer sitting in the middle and somewhat close so nearly all my periforel (sp) vision is locked onto the screen. Grindhouse at the Uptown was h-u-g-e on the curved screen and with the bombastic sound it really was a ride. While there are quite a few theatres/screens I prefer to see movies on and at, I really like to see movies where they were meant to be seen - in the theatre. I think people who can't or wont commit themselves to the theatrical experience particularily those whose hands and faces are welded to their cel phones should be barred from going to the cinema period.

Last edited by Giles; 06-18-07 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 09:53 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I really don't think he had POC 3 in mind when he wrote that
No, not so much...
Old 06-18-07, 04:27 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by maingon
i am too, at the theater, i find myself forgetting about everything. when I walk out I am always relaxed.
Same here. It's much more escapist than watching at home where the phone may ring and where I have work needing done just waiting for me in the other room.
Old 06-18-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
me too!

where'd you sit? I know most folk like the balcony, but I prefer the surround sound to surround me, not fired directly at my face... I prefer sitting in the middle and somewhat close so nearly all my periforel (sp) vision is locked onto the screen. Grindhouse at the Uptown was h-u-g-e on the curved screen and with the bombastic sound it really was a ride. While there are quite a few theatres/screens I prefer to see movies on and at, I really like to see movies where they were meant to be seen - in the theatre. I think people who can't or wont commit themselves to the theatrical experience particularily those whose hands and faces are welded to their cel phones should be barred from going to the cinema period.
Good guess, we sat in the balcony, but that was mostly a function of the fact that none of the floor seats were any good.

I will say the sound was amazing for the show, even up there.
Old 06-18-07, 05:41 PM

knocked up is the best movie I have seen this summer.. it has alot of heart.. which I cann;t really say about the other big movies. I would highly recommend it.

Jacob
Old 06-19-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JACOB
knocked up is the best movie I have seen this summer.. it has alot of heart.. which I cann;t really say about the other big movies. I would highly recommend it.

Jacob
And in other news, I will be having a Turkey sandwich for lunch today.
Old 06-19-07, 09:54 AM

And in other news, I will be having a Turkey sandwich for lunch today.
huh?
Old 06-19-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
huh?

I drive a blue car.

See that has nothing to do with the thread discussion. Neither does posting about Knocked Up.
Old 06-19-07, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
I drive a blue car.

See that has nothing to do with the thread discussion. Neither does posting about Knocked Up.
oooohhh....

how true
Old 06-19-07, 10:18 AM

Good guess, we sat in the balcony, but that was mostly a function of the fact that none of the floor seats were any good.

I will say the sound was amazing for the show, even up there.
besides my aversion to the Uptown's surround sound placement (they really can't do anything to remedy that though). The sound is also a major plus. I remember when I saw 'Jurassic Park' there, when the T-Rex roared, it literally rumbled through my bones, given the size of the auditorium the sound also reverbed all over - it was jawdropping.

~

Before it closed, the theatres in Pentagon City Mall had an amazing Sony 8-Channel SDDS setup (some dipshit on the News Channel 8 website thought differently though) - that was my #1 favourite theatre for the sound 'experience'...

[another plus was that the theatre/mall was at a subway stop and they had a great foodcourt where I could buy and enjoy a huge cup of beer with some Panda Express food]

Last edited by Giles; 06-19-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-19-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus

Not everyone has a lot of options, but may I suggest trying other local theatres? Even if a theatre is an hour away, if you only go a few times a year, finding the "perfect" theatre will be a great experience. Sadly, my perfect theatre, the Ritz Vorhees in New Jersey was sold. They didn't sell tickets to people under 16 and I've heard comments that the quality of everything was as close as you could get to the private screening rooms LA studios use.
Sorry if I'm late on this Bus but the 16 wasn't sold, the ones in Philly were sold to Landmark so east, Bourse and 5 and they kept the old website but 16 its still owned by the same folks as before and they have a new website for it. so there is still hope. I've yet to go to the other ritz (literally 3 blocks from me) since they sold but I've also noticed that I used to get more invites before than now.
Old 06-19-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've posted several of my bad experiences in other threads, and even declared I wouldn't go to the theater again after Spiderman 3. Most of my extreme bad experiences come from other people (phones, talking, etc.) and that I will eventually be jailed for my reactions to them.

I would also like to add the comfort factor. I'm 6'4" @ 225 lbs, and none of the theaters near me offer good seating. I am always cramped and because I hate having my seat back kicked so much I am hyper sensitive to bumping to person in front of me. It is also imposable for someone to pass by me while I remain seating. Anytime anyone in my row has to pee or get food I have to stand up while they rub against me.

I may live in a large city, but I am in the commercially forgotten Southern part of San Diego. I only have 3 theaters within 30 minutes from me (not counting the drive-in a block away) and they all suck. Bad seating and classless clientele.

I might be willing to drive North a bit once a month if I knew that the experience was worth it, but the only theaters I've been to out of my area (with he exception of Hillcrest, a semi art house) are simply more of the same.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.