Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Once

Old 02-22-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the musical undercurrents of this film, which filled in the gaps where moments of traditional "character development" happens in most films. The film wears its emotions on each and every musical beat and lyric, and you either go with it, or resist it. Those who go with it are rewarded with a small little film that gives us just a peek into the ground floor of something rather organic and aurally magical against a backdrop of a meeting of the minds musically, and a bond, be it love/friendship, that comes from an unlikely musical collaboration between the guy and the girl that starts on the streets of Dublin. What I enjoyed were the quiet moments where each draws strength from their pairing, each doing for the other what they weren't poised to do on their own in pursuit of a dream, much like notes from different instruments building to support and enrich a musical piece.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 02-23-08, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed this as well. It would just be in my top ten of 2007. I gave it a rating of 6.5/10.
Old 02-25-08, 11:02 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
So an Oscar win for Falling Slowly, and the Swell Season (glenn and marketa) are touring As are the Frames, tickets are now going to be even harder to find this time around..
Old 02-25-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thrilled to see this won an Oscar. I think that I watched the movie four times last year.
Old 02-25-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best part of the Oscars was seeing them win and being able to see Marketa come back out and give her speech.
Old 02-25-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Best part of the Oscars was seeing them win and being able to see Marketa come back out and give her speech.

I was really hoping they would bring her back out since they started the music just as she began to speak. Smart move by the producers. Nice speech on her part as well
Old 02-26-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
So an Oscar win for Falling Slowly, and the Swell Season (glenn and marketa) are touring As are the Frames, tickets are now going to be even harder to find this time around..
No kidding. They are actually coming to my neck of the woods in May; tickets go on sale on Friday. I'm on the fence about whether I want to go, but my window for deciding is even shorter now (bad for me, great for them!).

http://www.toadsplacerva.com/home/calendar/3153
Old 02-26-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought tickets for the Swell Season show on June 16th here. I can't wait.

I am going to see if I can get Glen to sign my The Commitments DVD.
Old 03-14-11, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Once

Finally was able to cross Once off my to-watch list last night. It pretty much lived up to the rave reviews and was a real musical charmer.
Old 03-14-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 123 Posts

^Better late than never. It was one of my favorites of 2007, a real simple, heartfelt, low-key effort that managed to entertain me more than almost all big-budget, soulless Hollywood endeavors.
Old 03-14-11, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder...considering on what they used to film it with, how much better it'd look on BD?
Old 03-14-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I wonder...considering on what they used to film it with, how much better it'd look on BD?
I have both the R1 DVD, and the UK Blu-ray, and honestly I did not see that much of an improvement in PQ.
Old 03-14-11, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's what I thought. The downfall of that tech when it comes to better home video tech. , oh well...it's still a damn good film.