Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Talk of Smokin' Aces prequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-29-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe Carnahan is planning on a Smokin' Aces direct-to-dvd prequel, according to Cinematical:

Says Carnahan: "The Nigerians and I came up with a fairly simple story that is, I think, about as politically topical as you can get, under the guise of a balls-out barnburner of an action flick." As for 'the Nigerians,' Carnahan promises you'll soon know who they are, and fear not, fans of the original -- Carnahan "can say, with some certainty, that the Tremor Brothers will be returning."
I haven't gotten around to viewing Smokin' Aces yet, but it looks damn cool, and if what Carnahan is promising comes to fruition then sign me up!
Old 05-29-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This would probably due well as a direct-to-DVD movie. Honestly the only thing separating it from one was the cast of Ben Affleck and Avi. With those guys gone, the floor's the limit, budgetwise.
Old 05-29-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Smokin' Aces was a dreadfully bland action movie with next to no action, I'm assuming the prequel would have an even lower budget which means we get to hear more people talk about a plot that would have made a cool movie. But, you know, without actually showing the movie. In another article its mentioned that the prequel is intended to be straight-to-video/dvd.
Old 05-29-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody's definitely been smoking something if they think this movie deserves, warrents, or is in need of a sequel.
Old 05-29-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I was really excited about the first one because it looked so cool from the trailer, but was very underwhelmed after watching it. To be honest the only redeeming quality it had for me was Alicia Keys .
Old 05-29-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is DTV. I do online surveys for a website and they sent me one about movies on DVD. First it singled out Smokin' Aces, slowly, then at the end it asked me a bunch of questions about whether or not I'd like to see a DTV prequel.
Old 05-29-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I was really excited about the first one because it looked so cool from the trailer, but was very underwhelmed after watching it. To be honest the only redeeming quality it had for me was Alicia Keys .
Is it worth Netflixing it for her? She is so hot, but is she in it long enough to bother?
Old 05-29-07, 06:03 PM

I really enjoyed the first one. I think for most of the people who didn't like it, it was just because of the low/high expectation thing. If you think it will be amazing you'll be let down, if you aren't at all excited you'll be entertained and/or suprised by how much you like it.

I didn't think it would be much, even though I am a fan of Carnahan's previous work (Any film with Ben Affleck makes me irritated
Spoiler:
but he dies fairly early in this one, so that made me happy.
)

But yeah, I definately wouldn't mind a prequel at all.
Old 05-29-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
Is it worth Netflixing it for her? She is so hot, but is she in it long enough to bother?
I'd say yes. I was worried should would barely be in it too, but she got her fair share of screen time.
Old 05-29-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
imo, her and the brothers were the highlight of the movie. I absolutely hated Ari's character (erm Piven).

Last edited by RichC2; 05-29-07 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The nazi dudes were by far the worst part of the movie. If they made this movie about just about anyone else it might be worth seeing.
Old 05-29-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't know how i would feel about a prequel. liked the first one a bunch though.