DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   De Niro and Pacino Reunite in Righteous Kill (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/500907-de-niro-pacino-reunite-righteous-kill.html)

grrr 08-21-08 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 8886938)
I hope I am wrong but I have been hearing horrible rumors that this film only lasts 100 minutes.

I heard it's a sequel. The film's working title was 89 Minutes.

B5Erik 08-21-08 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 8886938)
I hope I am wrong but I have been hearing horrible rumors that this film only lasts 100 minutes.

That would be great!

No extraneous B.S. to pad out the movie, just a lean, mean detective thriller. A 100 minute movie without the extraneous stuff is better than a 125 minute movie with it.

Personally, I liked the trailer for this one that I saw before TDK. The movie looks good to me.

Ram 09-04-08 10:06 PM

Righteous Kill is coming!!!

I want to go see this movie so badly!

NoirFan 09-04-08 10:09 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ight=righteous

DeanoBKN 09-04-08 11:55 PM

The red band trailer has got me pumped. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, just a decent movie to please a De Niro/Pacino fanboy like myself.

De Niro saying "fucking mutt" got a laugh from me.

wm lopez 09-05-08 11:11 AM

I saw the trailer and DeNiro looks bad.
He's fat and puffy faced.
Was he going for that look or did he age that quick?
Al is older and looks younger.

NoirFan 09-05-08 11:22 AM

An unrelated bit of DeNiro news, from Variety:

Robert De Niro has abruptly (left) "Edge of Darkness," the Martin Campbell-directed drama that Graham King's GK Films began shooting in Massachusetts on Aug. 18. De Niro just arrived on the set this week. De Niro had signed to play an operative sent to clean up the evidence in the murder of a young woman. Mel Gibson stars as the victim's father, a homicide detective for the Boston Police Dept. who uncovers her secret life, a corporate cover-up and government collusion.

islandclaws 09-05-08 12:25 PM

Trailer looks <i>decent</i>, which more than likely means the film itself will suck. I was actually going along with it until 50 Cent reared his big head. I might watch this out of sheer morbid curiosity, but I'm not expecting much by any means.

Zen Peckinpah 09-05-08 12:41 PM

Same here. I could here Don LaFontaine (RIP) narrating the trailer when it was announced: De Niro...Pacino...FIDDY. And it totally had me chuckling.

NoirFan 09-08-08 11:10 PM

Brief clip. Pacino utters the titular line! (Almost.)

wm lopez 09-09-08 05:13 PM

Why all this hate for rappers in movies?
They do make most of the hit music today so somebody must like them.

PopcornTreeCt 09-09-08 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 8928459)
They do make most of the shit music today so somebody must like them.

I agree. :)

Geofferson 09-09-08 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8926955)
Brief clip. Pacino utters the titular line! (Almost.)

Good clip - Pacino looks the same as Vincent Hanna in Heat.

Robert 09-09-08 10:08 PM

100 minutes is the correct running time.:(

Its the price we pay for an R rating!:mad:

inri222 09-09-08 10:13 PM

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,322706,00.html

This is about 5 years old :

Bad Rap
Samuel L. Jackson disses rappers-turned-actors. The ''Star Wars'' Jedi resents the trend of hip-hoppers taking roles away from trained thespians or working alongside established movie actors like himself

Samuel L. Jackson costarred with rapper Eve on the upcoming film ''XXX,'' but don't think he was too happy about it. In fact, he tells the Sacramento Bee, he so resents acting alongside rappers that he won't even read scripts for movies where rappers are being considered for lead roles. ''To take people from the music world and give them the same kind of credibility and weight that you give me, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishburne, Forest Whitaker -- that's like an aberration to me; you just can't do that,'' he says. ''It's not my job to lend credibility to so-and-so rapper who's just coming into the business.''

Jackson especially loathes the idea that rappers are taking roles from theater-trained thespians like himself or lesser-known trained actors. ''I know there's some young actor sitting in New York or in L.A. who's spent half of his life learning how to act and sacrificing to learn his craft but isn't going to get his opportunity ... because of some actor who's been created -- and you can use the word 'actor' loosely,'' he says.

Still, Jackson has appeared in movies where rappers held supporting roles, including ''Sphere'' (with Queen Latifah), ''Deep Blue Sea'' (with LL Cool J), and ''Shaft'' (with Busta Rhymes). And he even musters kind words for one rapper-turned-actor, Will Smith. Smith's role in ''Ali,'' for which he became the first rapper nominated for an acting Oscar, ''takes him out of that Fresh-Prince-is-saving-the-world-as-an-Air-Force-pilot thing and gives him some credibility as an actor,'' Jackson says. Nonetheless, he says of rappers, ''They do what they do, we do what we do. I don't think you can take your average rapper and put him in [my role in] 'Changing Lanes' and it would be the same movie.''

If it's any consolation, some rappers feel the same way. On its new song, ''Playa Hata Degree,'' the duo MaddWest raps, ''I hate all these rappers in movies that shouldn't be actin'/Except for Will Smith, and that cat shouldn't be rappin'.''

RTisBetter 09-10-08 07:41 AM

Wow. I don't know if you are being facetious with this post. But if you aren't, I had no idea it was possible for a human being to fail so much as you clearly, positively do here.

You have 100% failed. I award you no points. And may the Almighty God have mercy on your wretched "soul".

hapgilmore 09-10-08 08:59 AM

still no reviews yet......bad sign

mdc3000 09-10-08 09:09 AM

^ Jon Avnet = bad sign

chris_sc77 09-10-08 10:02 AM

^^100 Minutes= Bad Sign

hapgilmore 09-10-08 11:20 AM

ehh I don't think the 100 min running time is a bad sign, can you elaborate? Just because it isn't 3 hours like Heat, I wouldn't hold that against it.

NoirFan 09-10-08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore (Post 8929977)
ehh I don't think the 100 min running time is a bad sign, can you elaborate? Just because it isn't 3 hours like Heat, I wouldn't hold that against it.

Films with running lengths under two hours are one of Chris' pet peeves, along with the existence of Blu-ray.

wm lopez 09-10-08 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by RTisBetter (Post 8929483)
Wow. I don't know if you are being facetious with this post. But if you aren't, I had no idea it was possible for a human being to fail so much as you clearly, positively do here.

You have 100% failed. I award you no points. And may the Almighty God have mercy on your wretched "soul".

A movie star is one that draws people to the box-office.
For example in the 1970's Charles Bronson,Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds drew fans worldwide no matter how bad their movies were.
So if a rapper has a big fan base in music it makes sense to cast him to get his fans to come see the movie.
DeNiro and Pacino haven't set the box-office on fire as you know.
If HEAT,SCARFACE,RAGING BULL weren't hits the producer better do all he can to get seats in the theater.

Dr Mabuse 09-10-08 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 8929805)
^^100 Minutes= Bad Sign

Originally Posted by hapgilmore (Post 8929977)

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8930955)
Films with running lengths under two hours are one of Chris' pet peeves, along with the existence of Blu-ray.

Yeah you'll see a lot of that 'run time' stuff from him.

NoirFan 09-10-08 06:03 PM

They're really, really pushing this one on the Captivate monitors at work. Every five minutes, there's a different uninteresting factoid about Pacino or De Niro. Did you know that as a child Robert De Niro had pasty skin, and the neighborhood kids called him "Bobby Milk"? I didn't think so.

fumanstan 09-10-08 06:06 PM

To be fair on the whole rappers in movies thing, some have turned out decent and others have given fairly solid performances in specific roles. Of course, I think it's silly to dismiss a film just because of the presence of someone. I haven't paid much attention to this, but if 50 Cent is in this playing "Gang Leader #1" or something, it probably isn't that far fetched :p

I think Ice Cube, LL Cool J, and Mos Def have all turned out decently in some flicks. Hell, Will Smith was a "rapper" first :p

Anyway, I saw a TV spot the other day that pretty much advertised this as solely as "HEY WE HAVE DENIRO AND PACINO, COME SEE"