Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst theater experience?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst theater experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading Old Farts made me just think of a funny one a friend of mine had in LA a few years ago. She called and told me about it later that night and had good sense of humor about. Most people out there would have probably thought it was a "worst experience."

She was watching previews when an ANCIENT guy came in and sat down beside her. The theater was really crowded apparently. He talked thru the whole movie and said he was an old Hollywood director although he never said of what. He would touch her leg as he was talking to her during the movie. He goes on to tell her that he was trying to make a new film about a guy who touches womens legs in dark movie theaters! By that time the film was over and my friend left telling him good luck with that project. I wouldn't say it to her, but I think she enjoyed the attention.
Old 05-08-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dpz301
"stop arguing, you are ruining my birfday." finally after more yelling and someone trying to get them to stop or leave, who they told to screw off, the couple leaves and the overweight guy celebrates by pouring snowcaps into his mouth from two feet above his head.
Sorry but that bears repeating. Both lines are pure comedy gold.
Old 05-08-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

passion of christ: guy next to me was translating the movie for another girl...

the worst experience: this guy was getting some at a nearly empty showing of dirty dancing 2..... not only did the movie sucked but i wanted to get a piece of her as well
Old 05-08-07, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did we learn nothing from "The Wizard of Oz"?....

"..There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."

Seriously, I have stopped going as I am the magnet for bad experiences! When I was at "War of the Worlds", right during the basement probe scene, a guy's cell phone rings and he HAS A CONVERSATION while the rest of us try to watch the movie.

When I went to "The Matrix Reloaded", the theatre put the wrong movie title on the auditorium and we all had to change theatres with another audience - after they started the two movies. Just inconvenient, to say the least.

During "The Devil's Rejects", kids came running in about 25 minutes before the ending and started hollering out questions about what they had missed (nobody answered!).

Lost my car and house keys at the matinee of one of the Harry Potter sequels - didn't realize it until after the next show had started as we stopped in the theatre cafe for a bit. Then had to wait until the next showing was over before I could go in and search for my keys. That was a long time to wait to find my keys!

I have since stopped going and enjoy the movies so much more now!!
Old 05-09-07, 03:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had worse experiences, which I've outlined in other threads like this, but a few that spring to mind...

Spawn - Nerdy fanboy sitting with his friend, basically doing a vocal 'pop-up video' type commentary throughout the film of all the Spawn knowledge he knows, like what issue a character debuted in, how something was different than the comics, announcing "I have that action figure" every time a new character showed up, etc. Nonstop throughout the entire movie.

Harry Potter 1 - Basically the same thing as above, except instead of a fanboy it was a know-it-all little girl who felt like she was sooooo smart because she had read the book a thousand times. So to her parents (and anyone in earshot) she would basically spoil every scene a moment before it was going to happen. Like "Oh, now Harry is going to meet Hermione!" and so on. Seriously, it was like one of those descriptive audio feeds for the blind, except playing 30 seconds too early and narrated by someone with a third grade education. And she would also fill them in on every scene that was missing or changed from the book.

Dark Water (remake) - The movie cut off about three times, taking about 5 minutes to fix each time. In addition, the teenagers behind me were talking the whole movie.

The Grudge 2 - Some asshat behind me thought it necessary to play film critic with his girlfriend the entire movie. He basically verbally complained about the movie, throughout the entire movie. "Oh, just watch... you just knoooow somethign will pop up here." "I'm not finding this scary at all." Granted it wasn't a great movie, but still... save your tedious comments for after the show.
Old 05-11-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I left my jacket at the theater.

I really liked that jacket.
Old 05-11-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I fell asleep during "The Hulk" and woke to some guy "Tea Bagging" me. I didn't mind at first, but then I noticed his "bags" smelled of peanut butter and onions.
Old 05-11-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I fell asleep during "The Hulk" and woke to some guy "Tea Bagging" me. I didn't mind at first, but then I noticed his "bags" smelled of peanut butter and onions.
Sorry. I take handi-wipes with me now.
Old 05-11-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Sorry. I take handi-wipes with me now.

every little bit helps.
Old 05-11-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was it a combo odor, or did one smell like PB and the other smell like onions?
Old 05-11-07, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by kms_md
mine was at opening weekend for blair witch project. it was a typical hot and muggy houston evening. i saw this at the river oaks theater- a nice place to see your run-of-the-mill independent movies, but not at all set up to handle the throngs out to catch this movie. the theater was packed, the seating was uncomfortable (old style, not arena), the air conditioning broke, and then the shaky, handycam action started ... i thought i was going to puke.
Wow, I saw that movie the Friday afternoon it opened at the River Oaks 3. Thankfully the A/C was working.

BTW, these stereotypes about moviegoers are true. Go see a horror flick on opening weekend and tell me the majority of folks in the crowd talking back to the screen aren't black. I actually don't mind this in some circumstances. It can make a crappy horror movie(I Know What You Did Last Summer for example) a lot of fun. That scene in Scary Movie was a brilliant spoof of this.

The worst is old people though. They talk the entire time. And not even about the movie. Just random conversation topics. Like they're in their living room at home or out at a restaurant.
Old 05-11-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I fell asleep during "The Hulk" and woke to some guy "Tea Bagging" me. I didn't mind at first...

Was it Paul Rubens?
Old 05-11-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I saw "The Ring", a baby started crying very loudly. The entire theater was full of people, at least 250-350 people. The person with the baby stood in the aisle, but kept watching the movie, and the baby kept crying. One person in the audience yelled "Take the baby and LEAVE!", then someone else joined in, then I joined in, then the ENTIRE audience is yelling at this person to take their baby out. Literally hundreds of people. This finally convinced the person to take the baby and leave.
Old 05-11-07, 08:47 PM

why in the hell would someone take a baby to see The Ring???
Old 05-11-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This wasn't my worst but is the most memorable movie experience. Ages ago I was at a midnight showing of "The Harder They Come" and one scene where Jimmy Cliff goes at a guys nose with his stiletto causing grevious nasal injury made someone near me in the balcony loudly R-r-r-r-alphed up everything he ate that day. I've never seen a section of any theater evacuate so fast in my life. In an instant some 60 people had rushed out.
Old 05-11-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobSchlapowitz
why in the hell would someone take a baby to see The Ring???
Why the hell do you bring a baby to see ANYTHING?? I don't even care if it's a Disney movie. Leave the baby's ass at home. They are too young to comprehend what's going on. If you can't get a babysitter, wait for it to come out on DVD and spare the rest of the world who doesn't think your shit pile is the cutest G-Damn thing on Earth.

I had a similar experience to what the Ring person had, and it was with a Disney comedy...some generic Tim Allen movie, the one where he hides out in Amish country. The baby starts crying, the mother takes the brat down near to the exit and stands there with the shit pile while it continues to cry and she lets out the most annoying guffaws when anything remotely "funny" happened in the movie. As if the shit pile could only be heard by the rest of the theater from the seat, but down by the exit you're in some silence zone.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-11-07 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, man, this one time in college I went to a midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." People were yelling at the screen and throwing rice and toast, and squirting squirtguns. At one oint a bunch of people even ran up to the screen and stood in front of it.
Old 05-11-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Rocky Horror experience was FRIGHTENINGLY similar! We must have been at the same showing! What an odd coincidence.
Old 05-11-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gee, my friends went to a Rocky Horror screening with similar disruption. Maybe I'm lucky to not go to one of those things. The worst was during Grindhouse when the reels went missing TWICE during the movie!! Can you believe that!?
Old 05-11-07, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
And you wonder why sales of home theater systems and larger-screen LCD/plasma/rear-projection TV's have gone through the roof.

Why bother with poor sound and picture quality, overpriced tickets and concessions, unclean floors, uncomfortable seating and increasingly rude audiences? I might miss the shared audience and big screen experience but then at home I can make my own snacks at way lower cost, enjoy good sound and picture quality, use my own comfortable seating and pause the movie in case someone calls or I need use the restroom.
Old 05-12-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Worst: Got to Outbreak a little late and was forced to sit in the very first row with the three people I was with. It's an older theater in Pasadena and the first row is mere feet from the screen. Bad enough that it was near impossible to see anything to the left or right of the screen, but just minutes after we sat, two gang members snuck into the theater from the exits at the wings and sat on either side of my group. During every action scene the guy at my left would jump out of his seat, pumping his fist and yelling "YEAH, 'G'!" at, like, Dustin Hoffman. And when my leg sort of drifted into his space, he glared at me. I thought he was going to knife me.
Academy theater on Colorado?
Old 05-12-07, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Oh, man, this one time in college I went to a midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." People were yelling at the screen and throwing rice and toast, and squirting squirtguns. At one oint a bunch of people even ran up to the screen and stood in front of it.
Seriously, I had seen the movie before but one night I took a friend and the cast was going through the crowd asking questions about the movie. I didn't know they were doing this and when one of the cast members got to me, I blanked on whatever the question was.

I got a big red Lipstick "V" on my face. I was so embarassed.

*"V" for "Virgins" who've never seen the movie.