Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godfather 3/Spider-Man 3:which third installment drops the ball worse?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godfather 3 or Spider-Man 3:which was more lackluster?
Godfather 3
61.95%
SPider-Man 3
38.05%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I saw Spider-Man 3 and found it to be rather lackluster compared to the first two. However, I only found it such in that it was preceded by two mindblowing prequels. The movie was good, but only good. After the achievments of the first two I expected something great. Especially with most of the original team still involved. Movies like X-3 where someone else takes over almost get an excuse for not living up it seems, as all one can do sometimes is ape another act. I guess I just didn't expect Raimi to fumble the ball at this point.

The only other movie of which I can think where everyone who was involved in two acclaimed prequels with a third one that was merely good but not great is Godfather III . It was not a bad movie (the scenes without Sophia were quite well done IMO), but definitely lacked the energy of the previous two, and it showed.

NOTE: I am not including LOTR because from a production standpoint, it was all one outing. I am not including Matrix Revolutions because both it and Reloaded were one outing, as well as POTC 2 and 3.
Old 05-05-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, Spiderman 3 was average but not as bad as GF3.
Old 05-05-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not going to lie, this is a pretty stupid poll.

The Godfather 3 is a terrible sequel, but there have been worse.

Scream 3?
Return of the Jedi?
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome?
Austin Powers in Goldmember?
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth?
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? (Oh, I'm gonna get shit for this one.)
Old 05-05-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Um, SUPERMAN III?
Old 05-05-07, 04:05 PM
Banned

Spiderman 3 never had a ball to begin with.
Old 05-05-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amen. Spiderman 3 never had a ball to begin with, is correct. The big difference is people are just now realizing how Rami totally screwed this franchise up. I firmly believe, that in time, the previous two Spiderman films won't age and hold up.

With that said, no option for Return of the Jedi?

Oh and I like Godfather 3.
Old 05-05-07, 04:53 PM
Banned

GODFATHER 3 changed character's personalites from the 1st two movies and gives the series a bumer ending to the whole legacy. SPIDER-MAN 3 in no way does that!
SPIDER-MAN 3 could maybe compared to STAR WARS 3 & 6 or even INDIANA JONES 3.
Old 05-05-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't even have to have seen Spider-Man 3 yet to know the answer to this one. The Godfather Part III is the bastard step-child of cinematic legends. I've watched it, I've tried to like it, it can't be done. I just don't find anything redeeming about watching the movie. If anything it only served to taint the impeccable legacy of the first two films.
Old 05-05-07, 05:47 PM
Banned

Matrix 3....The most dissapointing last hour to what would otherwise be a great series....

But other than that Scream 3 is a very weak and depressing end to the series...

I think Spider man 3 is the best of the trilogy and I think Godfather III is a very good film that is underrated...

Last edited by chris_sc77; 05-05-07 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Matrix dropped the ball on part II and III. So I guess this can easily be a silly thread where the options are only Godfather III and Spider-man III.
Old 05-05-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Matrix dropped the ball on part II and III. So I guess this can easily be a silly thread where the options are only Godfather III and Spider-man III.
I would say Matrix Reloaded dropped the ball first. Matrix Revolutions, imo, is slightly better than Reloaded -- but that's really not saying much.
Old 05-05-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GOOD PARTS OF GODFATHER PART III:
-Apache helicopter scene
Spoiler:
Sofia Coppola's death

GOOD PARTS OF SPIDER-MAN 3:
-Bruce Campbell's scene
-J. Jonah Jameson
-Sandman's character development
-The entertainment was very watchable, if instantly forgettable

One movie had Sofia Coppola. The other had Bruce Campbell. Go figure.
-----------------------
However, there are far worse third parts than Spider-Man 3.

Batman Forever, X-Men: The Last Stand, RoboCop 3, Back to the Future Part III, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Rambo III...I rest my case.

Last edited by Zen Peckinpah; 05-05-07 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I would say Matrix Reloaded dropped the ball first. Matrix Revolutions, imo, is slightly better than Reloaded -- but that's really not saying much.
Yeah I felt the same way. After sitting through the weird Zion dancing/orgy sequence, the ball was long gone.
Old 05-05-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, the consensus is that DVDTalkers don't like Spider-Man 3? (Not counting LivingINClip he never liked any of them) Shame. Hype is such a terrible thing.
Old 05-05-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
GOOD PARTS OF SPIDER-MAN 3:
-Bruce Campbell's scene
-J. Jonah Jameson
-Sandman's character development
Haven't headed over to the main review thread yet, but...Bruce & Jameson's bits were funny at first but, like a typical Family Guy joke, it went on way too long. And Sandman's character "development" was laughable at best (but Church was pretty good).
Old 05-05-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So, the consensus is that DVDTalkers don't like Spider-Man 3? (Not counting LivingINClip he never liked any of them) Shame. Hype is such a terrible thing.
I dug it. It had it's flaws and it could've been a lot better -- but for what it was, a film made by committee, I enjoyed it.

Batman Forever, X-Men: The Last Stand, RoboCop 3, Back to the Future Part III, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Rambo III...I rest my case.
Whoa there. You can take Batman Forever and Back to the Future Part III out of there. Forever is a guilty pleasure of mine (and this is coming from soneone who never liked what Burton or Schumacher did with the franchise) and Back to the Future Part III is damn entertaining.
Old 05-06-07, 12:59 PM

I liked the first two Spideys, but comparing them to Godfathers 1 and 2 is crazy talk.
Old 05-06-07, 05:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The one where the daughter of a famous director turns in a bad acting job.
Old 05-06-07, 05:23 PM
Suspended

You're insinuating Spider-Man 1 & 2 were as good as Godfather 1 & 2. They were entertaining but definitely not as good as.
Old 05-06-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Godfather III dropped the ball, but on it's own still rates a 3 out of 4 or a "B" grade. (Problem was the first two were four star "A" grade movies...)

Spider Man 3 doesn't drop the ball at all. It continues the series quite nicely, thank you. I liked Spider Man 3 better than the first movie (which I liked a lot), and even if Spider Man 2 set the bar rather high Spider Man 3 didn't miss it by all that much.
Old 05-07-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This thread is bullshit. Spider-Man 3 doesn't drop the ball. It's actually a good movie. Unfortunately the expectations were so high since Spider-Man 2 is considered one of the best comic book movies of all time.
Old 05-07-07, 11:25 PM
Banned

"The Godfather Part III" is vastly underrated. Sure, it's significantly inferior to the first two "Godfather" films but it's hardly a bad movie by any stretch.

That said "Spider-Man 3" doesn't even come close to "dropping the ball" like such legendarily-disappointing third installments as "Return of the Jedi" and the aforementioned "Godfather Part III".

The "Spider-Man 3" backlash baffles me and I honestly think people will start to appreciate it more as time goes on. It's undeniably inferior to "Spider-Man 2" (the gold standard of comic book movies) but I don't think it's significantly inferior and I think it's arguably superior to the first "Spider-Man" film.
Old 05-08-07, 02:03 AM

Spider-Man 3 is a worse film than The Godfather Part III(if you can even compare the two), but the latter is a worse sequel considering what preceded it.

I'd rather pretend both movies don't exist though if it were up to me. Please WB don't screw up Nolan's Batman trilogy by forcing too many villains and subplots into the sequels.
Old 05-08-07, 03:12 AM
Banned

I think "Batman Begins" is already guilty of "too many villains" syndrome.
Old 05-08-07, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Shame. Hype is such a terrible thing.
Not as terrible as the film's interpretation of a "darker" Spidey.

Peter's hair gets greasy and he dances the jig. Le gasp.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.