Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Worst Movies by the Best Directors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Worst Movies by the Best Directors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: The Worst Movies by the Best Directors

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I just watched 1941 on cable the other day, and, dear god, that thing is a misfire on every level.

On paper, it seems solid -- a comedy based on the mythical "Battle of Los Angeles," an all-star cast, an A-list director...

It's probably the unfunniest comedy I've ever seen. It sort of wants to be a cross between Dr Strangelove and Animal House, and misses both of those marks. It's like nobody realized the movie was supposed to be a comedy.

The set pieces -- the dance hall, the airplane chase -- just drag on and on.

And it has an incredible case, but completely wastes them.
Agree with this. I didn't read every post, but I would hope someone mentioned "Hook" too. Fucking hell is that terrible. I also hated "The Temple of Doom", maybe not his worst. But thought it was awful.
Old 05-08-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

^ Hook is probably the only Spielberg movie I could never watch again. I like the premise of a grown up Peter Pan but it just misfires on everything.

It has some decent visual effects, I suppose but certainly not enough for me to ever want to revisit it.
Old 05-08-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Ready Player One is the worst Spielberg movie that i've ever seen. Indy 4 comes in at number 2. Though 1941 is the only Spielberg movie I haven't seen.
Old 05-09-20, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen Hook, or even part of it outside of the tv commercials for it during its theatrical run. It didn't look interesting to me and I never went out of my way to watch it.
Old 05-09-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Another vote for Hook.
Old 05-09-20, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I saw Barry Lyndon for the first time within the last year or two. I wasn't against seeing it, but given the mixed response from some folks, and the length, it was never a priority. Color me surprised when I was thoroughly blown away. I'd take it any day over stuff like A Clockwork Orange or Full Metal Jacket. I even prefer it over The Shining, but then I've never been a horror weirdo.
Barry Lyndon is much better than its reputation as a long, dull movie. But Eyes Wide Shut also got a reputation as a bad movie when it came out, and that became one of my favorite Kubrick movies. Then there's 2001, which I think is a work of genius, but some movie-lovers on this forum think is a pointless waste of time. Kubrick, go figure.
Old 05-10-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Again, I haven't read every post in this thread, but need to mention Robert Altman's "Popeye". He was such an odd choice to direct this film. Which failed on every level IMO. I actually saw this in the theater when it came out and I don't believe I've seen more people leave during a movie before it ended. It was a joyless mess.
Old 05-10-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece. Its only flaw is a crappy Ryan O'Neal performance. The cinematography alone is evolutionary.
Old 05-10-20, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Again, I haven't read every post in this thread, but need to mention Robert Altman's "Popeye". He was such an odd choice to direct this film. Which failed on every level IMO. I actually saw this in the theater when it came out and I don't believe I've seen more people leave during a movie before it ended. It was a joyless mess.
Popeye is an ODD movie, that's for sure. I don't know what Robert Evans was thinking and/or smoking/snorting when he brought that project to Altman, but the result is absolutely fascinating. Not necessarily good, but fascinating. It's infinitely more watchable than limp go-nowheres like Pret-A-Porter.
Old 05-10-20, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

"Odd" and "fascinating" are good ways to describe Popeye. It's just a really bizarre movie, that very effectively turns a cartoon into live action.

And, goddam, if Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall weren't brilliant casting choices for Popeye and Olive Oyl.

But I'm still, like, Robert Altman? That Robert Altman? Really?

Old 05-10-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
The problem with this list is that this guy is clearly ignoring the early works of these directors. Coppola, Kubrick, Kurosawa, and Hitchcock all put out their worst stuff before they became big time directors.

But listing a bunch of obscure titles isn’t going to generate clicks so the author had to go and make a bunch of controversial choices to make the list more discussion-worthy.

I'm not sure how anyone can in good faith call The Departed his worst movie. Cape Fear and Bringing Out the Dead are easily worse.
Seriously, it's too bad you took this route. Too be a troll. You do realize that everyone has their own own opinion, and I've seen there earlier movies (so thanks for being so not cool). You do understand that people that might disagree with you? Do you understand stand? How about not being mean to people and just realizing that (I know, that's gotta be hard for you)...but if you wanna continue to be a troll, then continue...keep going bud...
Old 05-10-20, 06:41 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Seriously, it's too bad you took this route. Too be a troll. You do realize that everyone has their own own opinion, and I've seen there earlier movies (so thanks for being so not cool). You do understand that people that might disagree with you? Do you understand stand? How about not being mean to people and just realizing that (I know, that's gotta be hard for you)...but if you wanna continue to be a troll, then continue...keep going bud...
What are you talking about? I wasn’t responding to you or anything you said.
Old 05-10-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece. Its only flaw is a crappy Ryan O'Neal performance. The cinematography alone is evolutionary.
I dunno. O'Neal fits the foppish dumbass character. I think here, like in Paper Moon, he fit the role. A polished actor would've been all wrong. O'Neal conned Hollywood into casting him as a leading man similar to how he frauded his way up the social ladder in Barry Lyndon.

I wouldn't hold Fear and Desire against Kubrick because it was basically his film school. Lolita would be my choice.

Also Boxcar Bertha is clearly Scorsese's worst. But, again, it's hard to hold early films against directors. Just putting yourself in position to direct a feature is a massive win and allowed them to progress to bigger and better things.

Last edited by Finisher; 05-10-20 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
What are you talking about? I wasn’t responding to you or anything you said.
Um, yes you did. Check your your posts.
Old 05-11-20, 02:27 AM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Um, yes you did. Check your your posts.
Is your name Anthony Burch? Do you write for a website called Filmwad?

No?

Then I wasn't talking to you.
Old 05-11-20, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

It's a strange statement to say that a film is a masterpiece and that the leading actor gave a crappy performance. Generally a film isn't considered a masterpiece unless all the main roles are played to perfection.

Old 05-16-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

PONYO (2008) is Hayao Miyazaki's worst film.
Old 05-20-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not having seen 1941 my Spielberg vote goes to A.I..

I don't think there's a truly bad Tarantino film but The Hateful Eight might be the one I'm least interested in seeing again.