Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Knocked Up — The Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Knocked Up — The Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that David O Russell spoof is hilarious.
Old 05-29-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That Cera bit is great. Looks like he's got a lot of stuff on FunnyOrDie.com.
Old 05-29-07, 11:40 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting this movie. Just about anything Judd Apatow makes i love and this seems to be a winner. Has anyone checked out the knockedupbabymaker.com site? I was playing around with it and came up with this:
Old 05-29-07, 11:40 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting this movie. Just about anything Judd Apatow makes i love and this seems to be a winner. Has anyone checked out the knockedupbabymaker.com site? I was playing around with it and came up with this:

http://knockedupbabymaker.com/babyim...bdc2cec085.jpg
Old 05-30-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
so i saw this movie a few months ago, and am getting so pumped for this to come out. I can't wait to see it again.
It's going to be interesting to see how one of the jokes plays now that the movie it refrences is out now.
Old 05-30-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That Cera clip was classic! Please let that be on the HD-DVD.

As far as the reviews are concerned, James Berardinelli gave it 3 1/2 stars. He gave the same rating to The 40 Year Old Virgin which I really enjoyed, so I'll check out Knocked Up. Plus I'm a big Apatow fan, so I'll be seeing it regardless.
Old 05-30-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I like the fact that the premise of this movie is not a typical surprise pregnancy story with two teens involved. Rather it is a couple of young adults with one being a professional and the other a slacker having to deal with the results of a one night stand.

I actually wonder what would happen if something like this happened in real life with a similar couple of this status?
Old 05-30-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just glad R-rated comedies are still being made and being successful. Most recently, Wedding Crashers and 40-Year-Old Virgin have shown studios that R-rated films can still rake in the cash. Yes, adults laugh too. Knocked Up should do well. I hope to see it Friday.
Old 05-31-07, 06:59 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for these reviews, you guys seeing the advanced screenings? It doesn't come out until tomorrow here but I'm definitely checking it out. I thought the 40 year old virgin was so funny, at first the premise didn't appeal to me that much but after seeing the previews at http://knockedupmovie.com and some of the clips posted around youtube and such I think it looks like it could be really funny.
Old 05-31-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

after 35 reviews, it has a 94% rating at RM.
Old 05-31-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly do not know why, with several recent rated R comedies being so successful, studios don't make more of them. Adults like to go to movies too, you know.
Old 05-31-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
You do realize that is a joke, right?

Funny seeing Cera doing this. He was so timid on Arrested Development, it's weird to see him showing any kind of balls.
That video is hilarious. I checked out the David O. Russel clip. What's the story behind Cera on the Knocked Up set doing this spoof?
Old 05-31-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I honestly do not know why, with several recent rated R comedies being so successful, studios don't make more of them. Adults like to go to movies too, you know.
Because super low-brow R-rated movies haven't been doing well, and finding a Judd Apatow or Seth Rogen to write you a quality script is a tough thing to do.
Old 05-31-07, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think they are making more of them. Just look at this summer. You have Knocked Up, Superbad and The Brothers Solomon coming out.

It takes about two years to make a movie, and I believe after the success of 40-Year-Old Virgin and Wedding Crashers studios did begin taking more chances on R-rated comedies. (They'd be stupid not to.) And now, two years later, you're beginning to see the results of that. Now the trick is going to be making good R-rated comedies.
Old 05-31-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Because super low-brow R-rated movies haven't been doing well, and finding a Judd Apatow or Seth Rogen to write you a quality script is a tough thing to do.

Yeah, a lot of comedy nowadays is low-brow unfortunately, and whenever an R comedy comes about, it typically relies on nasty sex humor and innuendos over everything else.
Old 05-31-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That video is hilarious. I checked out the David O. Russel clip. What's the story behind Cera on the Knocked Up set doing this spoof?
He's in Aptow's movie Superbad. So, it was probably one of those things they did specifically as a viral campaign on the Internet.
Old 05-31-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apatow only produced Superbad. I wouldn't call it "his" movie. Knocked Up still at 90% on RT, with 94% Cream of the Crop. Metacritic has it at 88/100, the highest-ranked wide release in theatres.
Old 05-31-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

So, you think he merely is there for name only?

That movie would've never been made had Aptow not been attached. He was talking about it on Howard Stern. He said he's wanted to make it for ten years, but nobody ever gave him the time of day on it. Now that he had huge success with the 40 year old virgin, he had movie companies tripping over themselves to get it made.
Old 05-31-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, you think he merely is there for name only?

That movie would've never been made had Aptow not been attached. He was talking about it on Howard Stern. He said he's wanted to make it for ten years, but nobody ever gave him the time of day on it. Now that he had huge success with the 40 year old virgin, he had movie companies tripping over themselves to get it made.
How come he doesn't get writing credits? Producer credits usually aren't "in name" only but it seems disrespectful to the other people to call it "his movie" unless Apatow is like the Bruckheimer of comedies and it really is his movie and he's just using puppet directors/writers.
Old 05-31-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know why he doesn't get writing credits on the movie.

From www.marksfriggin.com

Howard asked Judd about this new movie of his and Judd gave him a quick rundown of what it was about. They have some other movies coming out like ''Superbad'' that's coming out later this summer. Robin said she saw a preview of that movie and it looks like another Napoleon Dynamite type of movie. Judd said the movie is very dirty and hilarious and they were trying to get it made for 8 years. He said they finally got it done. He said he always thought the movie would be great but it was so dirty that he never thought they'd make it. Howard told Judd he's very happy and proud of him as a fellow Long Islander.
So, saying he's just a "producer" on the movie seems to really discount what he's done.
Old 05-31-07, 07:35 PM

What a silly title lol.
Old 05-31-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
He's in Aptow's movie Superbad. So, it was probably one of those things they did specifically as a viral campaign on the Internet.
I figured it was a viral thing, I just wasn't getting the connection between Apatow and Cera. The answer was Superbad. Thanks.
Old 05-31-07, 10:58 PM

My understanding is that Superbad is loosely based on the lives of the writers, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. They wrote the first version of the script when they were 13. And Rogen was cast on Freaks and Geeks, and thus met Apatow, when he was, what, about 18.

I'm sure Apatow has been a mentor to Rogen, and worked with him on the script over the years. And seeing how generous of a guy Apatow is (who else would let a 20-year-old with no experience be a part of their sitcom writing staff?), I doubt he cares about a writing credit on this.

I think he's just satisfied that he got it made. And that, he is getting credit for as producer.
Old 06-01-07, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember, most people that work with Apatow like him so much that they continue working with him.

For example, Knocked Up has the following Apatow regulars in it:

Seth Rogen
Paul Rudd
Leslie Mann
Jason Segel
Jay Baruchel
Jonah Hill
Martin Starr
Loudon Wainwright III
Paul Feig
Steven Brill
Mo Collins
James Franco
Steve Carrell
Stormy Daniels

Then of course, you also have these folk who are in future Apatow projects as well:

Craig Robinson
Bill Hader
Ken Jeong

Then if you add all of their friends to the list (such as B.J. Novak who has worked with Feig numerous times in the past), it's a huge fucking network.

Simply put, the man has tons of power in Hollywood now. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (and even his produced Kicking and Screaming) made tons of cash for Universal, Anchorman blew away DreamWorks' expectations, and Columbia has four Apatow productions in the works after the success of his films and Talladega Nights. It's a shame he didn't have this much power or respect after Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared (two of the most underrated television shows ever).

I just got back from a midnight screening of Knocked Up and it blew away all my expectations. I loved it and it seemed just right at 132 minutes.
Old 06-01-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With 84 reviews posted, it now has a 92% rating at RM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.