Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll: Which Grindhouse feature is your favorite?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which Grindhouse feature did you enjoy most?
Planet Terror
45.56%
Death Proof
35.56%
liked/hated both equally
11.11%
neither, the trailers made the night!
4.44%
Twikoff would have done a better job.
3.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-07, 10:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

This was suggested in the review thread. Thought it would be interesting to see a tally.
Old 04-08-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed Planet Terror more, but I didn't find the entire experience all that enjoyable.
Old 04-08-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Planet Terror was my favorite, but I loved the faux trailers as well.
Old 04-08-07, 11:10 AM

Planet Terror, and the Trailers.... Death Proof was unbelievably slow.

-NiCK
Old 04-08-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Planet Terror kept me interested for the most part. Death Proof was like a long drive between two tiny towns (that has huge bar fights) out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-08-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Death Proof for me, while Planet Terror was entertaining, it wore out its welcome, dragged in parts, and really didn't build up to anything. Death Proof was more engaging for a majority of the runtime and built up to one of the most satisfying endings I've seen in quite sometime.

Edit: Don't and Thanksgiving were great trailers, Werewolf Women of the SS could have been better, and Machette could have better as well - but had cheech as a priest, the "gets the women" and the great tagline so its alright in my book.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-08-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-08-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trailers and Planet Terror.

Death Proof blew the fun out of this film.
Old 04-08-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to go against the grain and say "Death Proof" (and believe me, I am not a Tarentino fan boy). As a parody, Planet Terror was a great movie. In the context of the Grindhouse theme, Planet Terror was the superior film. It delivered what it was supposed to. Death Proof, on the other hand, didn't work as well when seen in that light. I think the basic story was fine for a 70's exploitation flick, but the direction, acting, characterization, and dialogue was out of place and definitely didn't have the same feel as Planet Terror.

I'm not sure if I'm getting across my point. For example, when Planet Terror had its "missing reel" scene, the audience erupted in laughter, because it fit. When Death Proof did it, there was more of a puzzled silence, because it didn't fit.

But judging the two as separate films out of the Grindhouse context, Death Proof was better.
Old 04-08-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still think DP was more inline w/ the originals, it was a Tarantino Grindhouse picture. Rodriguez's was a Grindhouse sendup.
Old 04-08-07, 11:42 AM
Banned

Planet Terror. Death Proof was just awful
Old 04-08-07, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Death Proof
Old 04-08-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wasn't crazy about either one.

Planet Terror felt like a very generic and average zombie movie, especially in light of recent zombie movies that were much better. It didn't feel grindhouse-y at all, more like a studio film with a big budget and big name stars. The male lead (Freddie Rodriguez, I think?) had a pretty flat screen presence, and the bigger names, like Bruce Willis, looked tired, like they were slumming it big time.

Death Proof had some pretty great car sequences, but the build up was agonizing. I am a big Tarantino fan and admire the way he has used dialogue to build tension and establish his characters in previous films (Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 2 in particular). But his choices here were baffling. That whole bit about the lap dance was excruciating to sit through and ultimately went nowhere.

The trailers were fun, especially Thanksgiving. But ultimately I felt incredibly let down by the whole experience.

I'll continue to see anything these guys put out, but this is a minor work from both of them, along the lines of From Dusk Til Dawn.
Old 04-08-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Death Proof

As for the trailers, my favorite was definitely Machete.
Old 04-08-07, 04:05 PM

"Thanksgiving" and "Machette" were easily the best trailers.

"Don't" was just annoying.

-NiCK
Old 04-08-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Death Proof

My favorite trailer was a tie between "Don't" and "Thanksgiving"
Old 04-08-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Death Proof for me as well, but I was disappointed in the whole thing overall...
Old 04-08-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Planet Terror hands down...Death Proof was good, but by far Tarantino's worst film to date...Planet Terror was just AWESOME start to finish
Old 04-09-07, 04:11 AM

Were all the "missing reels" done to please the MPAA and get the rating down to an R??

From all i had heard before hand, i expected alot more sex/nudity.

-NiCK
Old 04-09-07, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Were all the "missing reels" done to please the MPAA and get the rating down to an R??

From all i had heard before hand, i expected alot more sex/nudity.

-NiCK
I know the skipping around durring the scenes of extreme violence in PT were to simulate the projectionist stealing the "good bits", but I'm sure it served a duel purpose and made cuts for the MPAA quite simple.
Old 04-09-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Planet Terror. Death Proof was way too talky for what was supposed to be a "tight" feature film. No grindhouse film would have had that much dialogue and that little action.
Old 04-09-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
No grindhouse film would have had that much dialogue and that little action.
In actuality, Death Proof probably had MORE action than most grindhouse movies from the 70's. People seem to be convinced that the movies that inspired this were action packed and violent from start to finish. Nothing could be further from the truth. The trailers usually contained most of the expoitable bits and usually ran about 3 minutes.
Old 04-09-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Planet Terror more, but in the context of this "experiment" it was the lesser movie. It came off as a Hollywood exec's idea of what a grindhouse movie should be. More of a parody than an actual recreation of the experience.

Death Proof was the better more accurate grindhouse movie. Go grab a bunch of old grindhouse flicks, the majority of the film is going to be inane blabber all leading up to some big payoff that you already saw in the trailer. The lead up is going to be boring.
Old 04-09-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know anything about real "Grindhouse" movies, but I really enjoyed the whole experience of Planet Terror much more. I liked the action scenes of Death Proof more than anything else about the movie, but I'll join the chorus of people who just couldn't take the 45+ minutes of sheer nothingness of those bitches talking.
Old 04-09-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kaze0
The lead up is going to be boring.
I enjoyed the lead up. It was fun (to me) to try and figure out what characteristic was being singled out for the moral of the story. Was a tad obvious but still kept me entertained.
Old 04-09-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked both, but I would have to check out both again to pick a clear favorite. I liked Planet Terror because it was funny, sexy, violent, gross and everything else it had going for it. Death Proof had the excitement, but the film did drag just a bit until Kurt Russell hit the screen. He was fascinating to me, even before he turned into the psycho stunt driver. The problem I had with all the dialogue is that I feel like Quentin started believing his own hype and said to himself "If I wrote it down, it has to be fascinating to everyone." I think some of the dialogue could have done with some trimming and punching up, but the car chases were so exciting (even though I also wanted them to hit the damn brakes) that you forget all about the slow beginning. All in all, I definitely want to get this when it comes out on DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.