Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kingdom (Peter Berg film)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kingdom (Peter Berg film)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering why Mann still works Foxx. I read an article online stating that Foxx was acting like a diva on the Miami Vice set. Foxx supposedly made Mann change the ending. The latter part is hard to believe since Mann has a pull in Hollywood but who knows.
Old 08-05-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

looks good I will go see it
Old 08-05-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been interested in this movie ever since the trailer was released.
Old 08-06-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, each trailer is worse. This can only mean that they must be more appealing to a popular audience. The original trailer with the Dead Can Dance music and the same song from the Babel trailer is much better.

I don't take this as a knock on the movie. It still looks like it only has one or two action sequences.
Old 09-14-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still excited to see the film. Not sure why, but there aren't many films I want to see in the theater (mainly because you never know how the experience is going to be) , but this is one that I'm actually looking forward to.
Old 09-14-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This movie just looks very, very generic.
Old 09-15-07, 12:46 AM

I'm looking forward to it. I'm actually going to a sneak preview tonight. Are sneak previews generally popular? I've never been to one and am wondering how early I should show up.
Old 09-15-07, 10:16 PM

my sneak preview wasn't even full. For what its worth I really enjoyed it. It was a lot easier to follow than say syriana. Great plot. Good times.
Old 09-15-07, 11:43 PM

I got back just a little while ago from a screening. I thought it was an excellent movie. Much better than the last two films I've seen in the theatre (Bourne and 3:10). Over-use of close-ups and jittery camera-work distracted me sometimes, but the story was intelligent, the characters had depth, and the action was engrossing. There was even a little primer on the history of Saudi Arabia during the opening credits. Oh, and it had the best last minute I've seen in a long time.
Old 09-16-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, there was a lot more action in it than I thought, and a pretty intense ending... Kept my attention throughout and found it pretty entertaining.
Old 09-16-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was so-so. It's one of those films that thinks it's way more important than it actually is. And I found the end to be totally blah.
Old 09-25-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Granted I'm not a hard movie fan to please, but I thought they didn't dumb it down or cliche it as much as I expected, it had great action sequences, and it kept the tension rolling throughout. I'd give it 3 out of 4.
Old 09-26-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
My only complaint was Berg's overuse of hand-held camera work -- something that (like Friday Night Lights) makes you dizzy in the theater after 2 hours. Him and Greengrass love those handheld shots. (BTW, I also saw about a 10 minute clip of Bourne Ultimatum and yes Greengrass uses the same camera techniques that he did in Supremacy -- if not more so -- some scenes with the camera man running and the scenes bouncing all over the place).
That's disappointing, but not surprising (the camerawork was my biggest complaint of Berg's otherwise good Friday Night Lights). And I was really looking forward to this movie, too. Now I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD and rent it.

I actually felt a little ill watching The Bourne Ultimatum. Ugh. This is one film technique that I wish would go away (or, at least, be toned down). I can handle it in some of my favorite TV shows ("The Office", "The Shield", "Arrested Development"), but then they don't go all crazy with it.
Old 09-29-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Very good film. ***1/2 out of five.

I would have liked it even more w/ a different lead. Jamie Foxx is one of the most over-rated actors in Hollywood.
Old 09-29-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by B.A.
Very good film. ***1/2 out of five.

I would have liked it even more w/ a different lead. Jamie Foxx is one of the most over-rated actors in Hollywood.
I like what A.O. Scott wrote: "Mr. Foxx does most of his acting with the muscles in his jaw and his upper arm, delivering terse dialogue in a silky whisper."
Old 09-29-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I like what A.O. Scott wrote: "Mr. Foxx does most of his acting with the muscles in his jaw and his upper arm, delivering terse dialogue in a silky whisper."
It was as if it was his second time around playing Ricardo Tubbs.

He hasn't impressed me one bit since Collateral (and I guess Ray).
Old 09-29-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm waiting for the Widescreen SteadyCam Version.
Old 09-29-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
It was as if it was his second time around playing Ricardo Tubbs.

He hasn't impressed me one bit since Collateral (and I guess Ray).
But he was superb in Ray.
Old 09-29-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I just got back from seeing it this afternoon. IMO, it was a pretty damn good action movie. I was surprised at how many cameos there were from stars of Friday Night Lights..both the movie and TV series. Even the music score at some points was very similar to stuff I've heard on FNL. Berg even had a small cameo in the beginning as well. I have to agree with B.A. that a different lead actor would have made the movie so much better. I enjoyed Jen Garner as well. One of the action scenes with her brought an "Alias" flashback. She looked pretty badass with the machine gun.

There were some pretty good performances and I thought the final sequence was probably one of the best shot action scenes I have seen this year.

I'd give it a solid B.
Old 09-29-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"The Kingdom" has some good spots, like the opening title montage that brings the audience up to speed about Saudi Arabia and why the US cares about that country in a historical context, some so-so spots, where the film plays out like CSI: Saudia Arabia, albeit with a bigger budget than a TV version of the CSI-based shows, and finishes somewhat strong and chaotic in its last act, but sort of misses a beat that would have made it an excellent film. I think it could have been a little longer, actually, to flesh out more of the characters, and the conflicts arising from the FBI's presence in Saudi Arabia to investigate a terroristic attack on a US compound. The performance are overall good, never quite reaching outstanding or excellent territory, but that's more due to the script than the actors involved. The direction by Peter Berg is overall good, but his style is starting to get too tied to handheld camerawork as well (like Paul Greengrass).

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 09-30-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Patman
I think it could have been a little longer, actually...
IIRC the original cut was 20-30 minutes longer.
Old 09-30-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd be interested to hear differences between this and the original cut. I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, but couldn't help but think it had higher aspirations that it never rose up to. I was sitting about 4 rows closer than I would have liked and the handheld camera work started to get to me towards the end and I couldn't help but think how similar the music was to Friday Night Lights - especially in the scenes of Saudi's at home...hell, even their homes looked like something from FNL.

Jamie Foxx was alright but definitely the low point for me in an otherwise stellar cast. I thought Garner and Bateman were the best and the final action sequence is one of the more thrilling ones in recent memory, so I'd recommend it on that alone. It only loses points for me because it starts and ends on such a high but the middle drags a bit and the very end leaves a bit to be desired... still worth seeing and I'll be picking up the HD DVD for sure.

4/5
Old 10-06-07, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
finally got to see this tonight. After being hyped up after months of seeing the trailer, I have to say... this movie rocked! Its the first time in a long time that a movie has lived up to my trumped up expectations. I was riveted throughout and tense during that whole last half hour. The fact that the hostage ( I won't say who, just incase) fought his ass off to survive was welcome change. I would welcome with open arms a longer cut of this movie.. Amazing.
Old 10-06-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I'm surprised that not more people on this thread have seen this movie or want to talk about it. It fucking rocked! And as said before, the final 1/2 hour is probably the most thrilling action-packed sequence I've seen in an action film this year.
Old 10-06-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked this film, the opening attack is quite distressing and the action scene at the end is abit on the brutal side. I will get this on HD when it released.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.